Community Message Boards

Thread: Frangelico substitute

Question Frangelico substitute

Does anyone know of a good substitute for Frangelico? My friend is making a biscotti recipe that calls for it and would like to know if there is a suitable substitute.
    Thanks a bundle,
    K. Charest
    Smiles are contagious!

Frangelico is a hazelnut liquor. I would sub any nut-flavored liquor on your shelf, such as Amaretto, or, in a pinch, just add about 1 t of almond extract.

Here's what Cook's Thesaurus has to say:

Frangelico Notes: This is a popular brand of hazelnut liqueur. Substitutes: hazelnut liqueur OR walnut liqueur OR amaretto OR brandy

BTW - Welcome to the boards!
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

Kat,

For a biscotti recipe, I would definitely not use Cook's suggestion of brandy as a substitute. I'd go with the amaretto or almond extract, like Jen suggested.

If I she uses the almond extract, how much should she use? The recipe calls for 2 Tbsp of Frangelico. Would you say 1/4 tsp of extract to 2 tbsp water?
    K. Charest
    Smiles are contagious!

that sounds about right, maybe a dash extra of extract since frangelica is pretty potent (after dinner sipping drink)

1/4 teaspoon is an awfully small amount. But then again, I love almond extract. I'd probably go with Jen's suggestion of a full teaspoon, or half a tablespoon, of extract and then water to make up the rest of the liquid.

Another thing one could use, if one wants to avoid alcohol, is hazelnut-flavoured coffee syrup.