Community Message Boards

Thread: Quick question: how long does opened half & half stay good in the fridge?

Quick question: how long does opened half & half stay good in the fridge?

I'm stopping at the store on the way home to pick up stuff for dinner, and can't decide if I should buy a new carton.

my carton says use it within 7 days of opening.

Thanks, Val. I'll add it to my list.

and throw out the old stuff when I get home

I use fat free half and half like crazy (I can't remember whether you said fat free or regular)and although it says 7days I know for a fact it lasts SEVERAL weeks without going bad. Like I said, I don't know about regular though....probably the fat free has all kinds of chemical additives to make it bionic.

Yeah, I wondered about that too. But my stuff is regular, so I guess I'm probably better safe than sorry. Really, I just don't want to get home and find I have to make another trip to the store.

We use half and half in our coffee. When DH is out of town, we use less of it, so there have been times that I have kept it open longer than 7 days. I look at the expiry date. You know its bad if it curdles in your coffee or recipe. So if it isn't curdling, it is still good.

Well, as it turns out, I didn't even HAVE half-and-half at home! It was buttermilk.

Originally posted by aggie94
    Well, as it turns out, I didn't even HAVE half-and-half at home! It was buttermilk.

That reminds me of the time DH was pouring what he thought was Half and Half in his coffee and told me it was spoiled. I laughed when I noticed it was buttermilk.

By the way, if you are in a pinch next time for some, this is what www.foodsubs.com says:

half-and-half = half & half (10.5 - 18% fat) Substitutes: equal parts cream and milk OR evaporated milk OR 7/8 C milk + 1 tablespoons butter or margarine