Community Message Boards

Thread: Crowder peas?

Question Crowder peas?

Can someone enlighten me? What are "crowder peas?" I did the Google search, tried the Epicurious dictionary AND justproduce.com -- no luck. Found a few Web blogs that mentioned crowder peas in reminiscenses (sp?) of the south, but no definition.

TIA!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Found this at Cook's Thesaurus:

"black-eyed pea = cowpea = crowder pea = lobhia = lombia = black-eye bean = black-eye pea = black-eyed suzy = China bean = chawli = poor man's pea = Southern pea
    Notes:
    Originally from China, these chewy peas were common fare on slave plantations. They're still popular in the South, where they're traditionally eaten on New Year's Day or combined with rice and sausage to make Hoppin' John. They don't need soaking and cook fairly quickly. Don't overcook them, or they'll get mushy.
    Substitutes: black-eyed pea, fresh OR yellow-eyed peas ("eye" is yellow, not black) OR pigeon peas OR split peas OR lentils"

Thanks, Ralph. I'll now confess that I have a bag of frozen crowder peas in my freezer!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Just my two cents to confuse things: the peas I know as 'black eyed peas' are not the same thing as 'crowder peas.' Crowder peas are similar, but not identical. (I prefer the regular old 'black eyed' version.) Crowder peas are bigger and, uh, more gray/purple than black eyed peas., and they don't have black eyes.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Little Bit says, they are not black eyed peas, but another type of pea similar to them. Here in NC, we love our peas...good and good for you, you know. We have black eyed, crowder, purple hulled, and my favorite, Dixie Lees, to name a few. They are all a little different and everyone has their favorites. Historically, when people were working hard in the fields all day, etc. you cooked them with fat back for a long time (many still cook them that way). To avoid the fat and calories (and the greasey sheen), I just saute a little onions/shallots/garlic, whatever, in a little olive oil til tender, then add some chicken broth (lo fat and sodium) and then add the fresh peas and cook till tender. Yum....my LA hubby has become a convert.
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"