Community Message Boards

Thread: Starbucks Orange Oatmeal Scones

Question Starbucks Orange Oatmeal Scones

This was posted a few days ago, and I have 2 questions! Don't have a serated cookie cutter, how else can I shape them? What do they mean by "plumped raisins"? Does that mean one should soak them in water or juice and drain well?
    Thanks!
    Curleytop

Guest Guest
    Curleytop, I haven't seen the recipe so I don't know about the cookie cutter, but you are right about the plumped raisins. Just let them soak in warm water until they plump up, drain and blot and that should do it. Now I am curious about this recipe and will look for it.

The "serrated" cutter is just to give them those Starbucks(TM) slightly ruffly edges. You can just as well use an ordinary round biscuit cutter-- or even a floured upside-down drinking glass (which I remember doing when I first moved out of home and had no cutters); the scones won't care.

I think this might be the recipe I posted on the following thread:
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ighlight=scone

Starbucks« Orange Oatmeal Scones
    www.betterbaking.com

Not too sweet. Perked up with flavor, color, rustic oatmeal and a tang of fresh orange juice. At a neighborhood Starbucks shop, nested inside a bookstore, they make these in the shape of a large cookie.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    2 cups oatmeal
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup very cold, unsalted butter, cut into chunks
    1 egg
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 cup raisins, plumped and well dried

Glaze
    milk
    sugar
    orange zest

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425 F.

In a large bowl place the flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and mix. Cut or rub in butter to make a mealy mixture. Stir in egg and orange juice to make a soft dough. Add raisins and turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead gently to make a soft but firm dough. Roll or pat out into a thickness of 1/2 inch. Using a three-inch serrated cookie cutter, cut into disks. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar and orange zest.

Bake until nicely browned, about 14 minutes.

Curlytop, plumped would mean to soak them, and I wouldn't worry about the serrated edge.