Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipe suggestions to use up my Half & Half?

Question recipe suggestions to use up my Half & Half?

OK, I bought this last week to sub for heavy cream and found out (via this bb) that for my recipe it was NOT a substitution. Therefore, I have a container of it in my fridge and don't usually cook with it.

I did search on CL & epicurious but it was not user friendly for me to plug in "half and half", it gave me lots of recipes that did not have half and half in them!

So, any suggestions for a non-dessert to use this up? TIA for any help!

I often use half and half in a Pasta Con Broccoli recipe and have great success with it.

This recipe is from goodhousekeeping, and I think it was wonderful. And it has remained on their top 10 recipe list since it was published. I used fat-free half-and-half in place of the heavy whipping cream, and the results were wonderful.

Chicken with Smashed Potatoes, Pot Pie
    http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...420135,00.html

How about Tracey67's scones - she suggests (and I always use -FF 1/2 and 1/2- I can only imagine they will only be more decadent with the full fat stuff). These are really wonderful.

Maple Tea Scones

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Muffins, Scones & Buns

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 3/4 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups rolled oats
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup butter -- (chilled), diced
    1/2 cup half-and-half, fat free
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/2 cup pecans -- chopped and toasted
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    6 tablespoons whipping cream
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    2/3 cup powdered sugar -- (about)

Preheat oven to 375. Whisk flour, oats, dark brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir 1/2 C. half & half and 1/2 C. maple syrup in small bowl to blend. Gradually add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dough comes together and adding more cream by tablespoonfuls if dough is dry. Gently mix in toasted pecans. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently until smooth, about 5 turns. Using floured hands, pat out dough to 8-inch round; cut dough into 12 wedges. Transfer wedges to baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake scones until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, @ 20 min. Transfer to rack.

Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 T. dark brown sugar, 6 T. whipping cream and 2 T. maple syrup in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in enough powdered sugar to form thick glaze. Drizzle or spread over warm scones. Let stand until glaze sets.

Source:
    "adapted from Bon Appetit Dec. 99"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you like soup, I posted a recipe last week. It's called "Smoky Cheese, Chicken, and Wild Rice Soup". You can omit the chicken (the recipe I modified didn't have chicken.

Here's both the original and my modified recipe.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...Wild+Rice+Soup
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

What can I say? I'm naughty and I like it in my tea.

~emilie
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

How's the weather in your neck of the woods these days?? I ask because here's a very simple - yet wicked - use for half-and-half: Make oatmeal and put a big ol' spoonful of brown sugar and some raisins on top and add half-and-half. Very rich, but also very tasty and comforting.....

Wow,
    I was so psyched to get responses when I checked this morning. Looks like I have some ideas(recipes!) to check out, thank you all! Candice, the weather has calmed down and would be perfect for oatmeal!
    Thank you all again!

Originally posted by MoKathy
    I often use half and half in a Pasta Con Broccoli recipe and have great success with it.
    I was reviewing these recipes at lunch and I did a search for this recipe on CL and didn't find it. Would you mind sharing?

Mokathy-

Have you ever tried FF Half & Half in Pasta con Broccoli? It is one of my favorite pasta dishes, but I would like to cut back on the fat. Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

Have you tried the CL Seafood Fettucini?

Seafood Fettucini was the CL cover recipe a while back. I assume you either have the issue or can find it on the website? If not, I can post it here. It was one of those reader recipes that the "lightened". We had it for dinner last night and it is VERY GOOD.

This is another good recipe which I got from Better Homes and Gardens:

Real World Risotto

1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
    2 T. butter
    1 cup rice
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 pinch of saffron
    cup grated Parmesan cheese
    cup half-and-half
    2 T. toasted pine nuts
    1 T. snipped parsley

In a large skillet cook onion in hot butter until tender but not brown. Add uncooked rice. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Carefully stir in chicken broth and saffron. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes (do not lift cover). Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in cheese and cream. Sprinkle top with nuts.

These are my Half and Half recipes!

Re: Have you tried the CL Seafood Fettucini?

Originally posted by Hoodone
    Seafood Fettucini was the CL cover recipe a while back. I assume you either have the issue or can find it on the website?
    Thank you, I just made this tonight and it was very good. I was surprised how "non thick" it was, but the noodles soaked up while on the plate somewhat.
    I was grateful for a suggestion I could use now. Thank you everyone.
    And, the meal was a success. I paired this with the spinach feta appetizer dip, a great salad, the portobellos stuffed with olives & onions and this seafood pasta. Yum. Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. I've made notes and hope to make the ones I didn't get the chance to make now, later!!

Half & half works beautifully in mashed potatoes! Also, you can use it in any cream soup in lieu of milk.

This morning I discovered that my skim milk was no longer usable. The only dairy we had was FH's half & half, which I thinned with water and used to cook my oatmeal. Not bad!

I don't have a particular recipe in mind but some half and half mixed with marinara sauce and a touch of vodka is really yummy. Or just leave out the noodles and marinara, add in some Kahlua and have a white russian!
    BACON - A Los Angeles librarian reports she finally found it necessary to revoke a gentleman's library card. Because her repeated letters to him, telephone calls, and face-to-face pleas still failed to break him of the peculiar habit of using strips of raw bacon as bookmarks.

-Boyd's Book of Odd Facts