Community Message Boards

Thread: Review: Thai Braised Beef with Coconut Milk and Ginger (Nov/99)

Post Review: Thai Braised Beef with Coconut Milk and Ginger (Nov/99)

I had been wanting to make this for a long, long time, and finally got around to it yesterday. This was really good. A definite keeper. I'll probably modify it a little though - more garlic and more ginger, maybe more of the aromatic spices (although I wouldn't up the red pepper - it was plenty spicy). But I always have my husband rate new dishes on the 1 to 10 scale so I know whether he really likes it or not ("mmm, it's good" doesn't mean anything to me!). He (we) gave it a 7.5 out of 10, and it think it could be an 8 or a 9 if I played with the spices a little! Anyhow, it made a lot, so he had lunch for today and I froze a big tub of it for later, too. I put it over basmati rice instead of the noodles. Oh, and mine was really thin, so I thickened it with cornstarch and it came out beautifully.

Let me know if anyone wants the recipe...

Grace

PS I neglegted to mention that I really trimmed a LOT of fat from the meat, and I made this in the pressure cooker - it was done in 30 minutes, not 2 hours! And the meat was tender and shredded easily. So if you have a pressure cooker, I'd say use it if you don't have 3 hours to prepare this dish (1/2 hour prep, 1/2 hour cooking on top of the stove, 2 hours in the oven!)

[This message has been edited by Grace (edited 12-01-2000).]

Talking

OH yes, please post the recipe.

Thanks,
    Kim

Here you go! (I should have just posted it in the first place!)

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Thai Braised Beef With Coconut Milk and Ginger

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: November 1999 PAGE: 130

INGREDIENTS FOR 6 SERVINGS:
    1 (2-1/2-pound) boneless chuck roast
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    1 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
    3 cups chopped onion
    1 cup diced carrot
    2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1-1/2 cups light coconut milk
    2 tablespoons sliced peeled fresh lemon grass or 1 tablespoon thinly sliced lime rind
    3 bay leaves
    6 cups hot cooked Chinese-style egg noodles (about 12 ounces uncooked)
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Trim fat from beef. Cut beef into 2-inch pieces. Combine salt and next 6
    ingredients (salt through black pepper) in a small bowl. Sprinkle 2
    tablespoons of spice mixture over beef, and toss to coat; reserve remaining
    spice mixture.

2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef;
    cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in
    pan. Add onion, carrot, ginger, and garlic; saute 8 minutes or until tender.
    Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return beef to pan. Add
    remaining spice mixture, coconut milk, lemon grass, and bay leaves. Bring to a
    boil. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours. Remove beef from pan using a
    slotted spoon; shred with 2 forks, set aside, and keep warm. Bring vegetable
    mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 10 minutes or until slightly
    thick. Discard bay leaves. Serve beef and vegetable mixture over noodles.
    Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces beef, 3/4
    cup vegetable mixture, and 1 cup noodles).

Note: You can find light coconut milk in the Asian or Mexican section of most
    supermarkets. If yours does not carry it, ask your grocer to order it for you.
    For more information on availability, check out the Web site www.atasteofthai.com.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    CALORIES 554 (29% from fat); FAT 18g (sat 7g, mono 6.4g, poly 2.4g); PROTEIN
    40.5g; CARB 54.9g; FIBER 4.5g; CHOL 145mg; IRON 8.3mg; SODIUM 905mg; CALC 81mg

ENJOY!

Thanks for the recipe Grace. When I cook a chunk of meat for shredding I brown it then put in a heavy duty pot with water and spices of choice on the woodstove just before damping it down for the night and things are cooked beautifully in the morning. I suspect a crock-pot would be a more modern option. Any thoughts on these techniques for this recipe? Also, do you grind your own cardmom, cumin, and coriander? I know how much difference using ginger root and garlic cloves and whole allspice makes and was wondering if this carries over into other spices?

Anne, I hadn't thought about the crock pot, but my guess is it would be PERFECT in one! It's the kind of meat that you need to cook forever anyway, and I bet the house would smell sooooo wonderful too!

As far as grinding my own spices, I know only from opinions I've seen on this board that it would make a big difference. I used pre-ground spices, but I got them from Penzey's, which in my mind is somewhere in the middle (quality wise) between regular store-bought pre-ground and freshly ground. As soon as I use up these spices that I have, I am going to consider buying whole and grinding fresh to see. I did use fresh garlic and ginger though, and like I mentioned before, I will use even more next time. It made such a huge pot, and I think the spice blend they had was perfect, just not enough. Oh, and I didn't have the lemongrass, so I substited the lime, but I would like to try it with the lemongrass next time. Let me know if you try it how youy like it!