Community Message Boards

Thread: Silpat vs. Exopat? Which is better?

Silpat vs. Exopat? Which is better?

Yesterday in a kitchen store I saw an Exopat (?) that was huge! I have Wilton baking sheets that are 16 x 20 so this really caught my eye. But... it's not a Silpat and it was $35.00.

What's the difference between Silpat and Exopat? Is one brand better than the other? Does Silpat make this huge size too and if so, is the price comparable?

Thanks!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Loren....go to this site and get results from Epinions. It looks like its the same as a Roll'Pat Counter Pastry Mat that I have which is approx. 17.5 x 25.5. The difference between the two is that Silpat is a baking sheet and Roll'Pat is just that..a pastry mat. I bought mine at Crate and Barrel a couple of years ago and paid around 25.00 for it. To be honest I haven't used it much...just for rolling out sugar cookie dough last year. I should use it more especially for rolling out pie crust and will give it a shot when I try to make bread. I do love my silpats though and have four of them. The prices seem to be coming down on the silpats now.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cooking...pat_Baking_Mat

Sue - how big are your Silpats? You're right, I should have checked to see if I could bake on the Exopat. However for that price, I would think you could. It was at Kitchen, Etc.

Loren

Gracie, I'm not going to be much help to you, I'm afraid. I have the Exopat that you saw - the HUGE one (18 x 26) and I love it but I don't use it for baking. I bought it for the express purpose of kneading my bread dough on it. As far as I know they are the same as Silpats, but I bought this because it was so large and cheaper than the Silpat brand. I believe Silpat does have one in the same size though - I saw it in the King Arthur catalog for $36 I think but I paid $24 for mine at Kitchen, Etc. I'm sure they can be found for less but I splurged!

Sue, when you make bread next time, you should definitely use the Silpat. I wouldn't knead dough without it. No sticking and clean-up is a breeze. As a matter of fact, I'm so attached to it that when I go to Florida to visit my parents I want to make bread for them and I'm probably bringing my Exopat with me! You're gonna love it. Just make sure the countertop beneath the Silpat is dry - if it's wet the Silpat will slide when you're kneading.

- E.

I would think the mat would slide around either way (wet or dry). what makes it stick to the counter when you are kneading the dough?

Loren....I love my silpats!! They are approx. 11.5 x 16.5 which fits the baking sheets that I bought from MSL. See link below. These baking sheets are heavy and a good quality of aluminum. The silpats fit perfectly. You should be able to get silpats around 12-14 dollars nowadays. Good Luck

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...duct1511&site=

Elaine...do you use the bench scraper with your pastry sheet and if you do, does it damage it at all. TIA

Val...it doesn't slide around on the counter and sticks to the surface on its own.

Jasmine-Rose - I was at Kitchen Etc when I saw the Exopat. It was $35!! You really got a deal.

Can you bake on the Exopat?

Loren

I really need a good kneading surface and a good surface to use for rolling out doughs. I wonder if this is what I should buy.

I just was looking at an ad for
    Exopat in the "Solutions" mail order catalogue. withstands temps from -40 to 580 F. microwave safe. 11 1/2 x 16 1/2 for $14.50. Only one size. I have a Silpat that I use regularly. I don't use it for bread dough because you can't cut on it, & I use a cleaver or bench knife to divide up my dough.

Originally posted by valchemist
    I really need a good kneading surface and a good surface to use for rolling out doughs. I wonder if this is what I should buy.
    Val, the exopat will definitely give you a great non-stick kneading surface. Probably a good rolling surface too! I use my silpat for kneading, but it is too small for rolling. The instructions that came with my silpat say to never cut on it. Does anyone know if exopat is the same (I'm thinking of rolling cutters as well as cookie/biscuit-type cutters).

Another option for a kneading/rolling surface is the mat that Tupperware sells for about $7. It is not non-stick but cleanup is easy, especially with a dough scraper, and the nice thing is that it has measurement markings printed on it, so you can tell when you've rolled a pie crust to a 12" circle, or a rectangle of cookie dough to 12x15" or whatever it is you're aiming for.

Originally posted by gertdog
    Another option for a kneading/rolling surface is the mat that Tupperware sells for about $7. It is not non-stick but cleanup is easy, especially with a dough scraper, and the nice thing is that it has measurement markings printed on it, so you can tell when you've rolled a pie crust to a 12" circle, or a rectangle of cookie dough to 12x15" or whatever it is you're aiming for.
    I have one of these, and I use it for cookies & pie crus but not for kneading bread. I use a cutting board for breads. Anyway, I believe the instructions say to put a damp towel under the mat to keep it from sliding. This is what I do and it works. Either that, or the non-skid mat thing that came with the PC Cutting board that I rarely ever use.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Sorry ladies, I lost my ISP for a while...

Val, the Silpat has a slightly rubbery texture to it which allows it to stick to the counter.

I don't use a bench cutter on the Exopat, but at the classes I took at King Arthur we were all given a plastic and flexible version of a bench cutter and I do use that on the Exopat. I don't have to press very hard to get through the dough and I've never left a mark on the Exopat.

Gracie, I have no idea why mine was so much less expensive but I know that it was because I remember comparing what I paid for the Exopat to what I would have paid for the Silpat at King Arthur. I know that there are often 20% off coupons for Kitchen, Etc. That would help bring the price down if you could get your hands on one of those.

thanks.

I am going to consider an exopat. or something like it anyway.

from what i've seen, the exopat and the silpat are the same thing, just different "brand names". both come in 2 sizes, i believe: a small one that fits a baking sheet, and a big one for putting on the counter and rolling dough (eg rollpat).

i have another brand altogether (the one sold at crate and barrel), but i have given the exopat as gifts and everyone has enjoyed them. i found them (the small ones) on amazon's friday sale once for $9.99 apiece, so i stocked up.

hope this helps.
    marisa

I agree with everyone that the silpats, exopats, and rollpats, etc, are all the same thing, just different brands. The large sized ones are convenient for home cooks to use on the counter, but they actually are sized to fit the large restaurant sheet pans while the smaller ones fit the half-sheet pans. Of course, my oven is too small to hold a full sized sheet pan, so my large rollnpat is just used on my counter. I love it for kneading dough and rolling out cookies. I use my bench knife and cookie cutters on it without a problem. As long as you don't go crazy you can manage not to cut into the mat.