Community Message Boards

Thread: portobello mushrooms

portobello mushrooms

I have been experimenting to find the best recipe for portobello mushrooms. I am looking for a marinade, so i can just grill them or saute them. Any suggestions?

I rarely marinade them. I spray with non stick PAM, sprinkle kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and granulated garlic powder on mine, then grill. Sometimes I splash a little balsamic vinegar. I do this on all of my grilled veggies. Enjoy!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Thumbs up Not gourmet but good and easy:

My favorite marinade for them is any kind of LF Italian salad dressing. If I use FF, then I mist the mushrooms with olive oil before grilling. I also like to use a splash of teriyaki sauce (reduced sodium) in the dressing.

Yum!

Jane

Red wine vinegar, thyme and garlic....marinate about 20 mkinutes!
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

We ate grilled portobello sandwiches once a week all summer this year. The night before I marinated the mushrooms in fat-free Italian dressing and balsamic vinegar, with some pressed garlic and basil thrown in the bag. Then they were grilled on the barbecue, topped with slices of fresh mozzarella, and put on sesame-seed rolls. Sometimes I also made CL's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and spread that on the rolls. YUM!

I'm a little late on this, but I love portobellos as a side dish and wanted to share...
    Really easy -- saute a few minced garlic cloves (or much, much more! ) and a handful of minced/chopped parsley in a few teaspoons of olive oil, then add sliced portobellos and kosher salt. Saute until the 'shrooms have given up liquid and are tender.
    I love this dish!
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

I brush on bottled fat free Paula's Garlic Dressing and put on a low flame grill. Rounded top facing up first, for about 6-7 min, then turn and continue grilling until see lots of juices start to pool in the center. Should be juicy, not dry.

I like to eat like a hamburger: lettuce, tomatoe, red onion slice & guacomole on a wheat hamburg roll or sandwich size Thomas's English Muffin.

Good luck, they are wonderful and so easy!