Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic Tortilla Soup recipe to share

Got this one in the fridge right now waiting for dinner tonight. I halved all the hot stuff!!!!! I am a wiennie! I can't do real hot stuff. I have tasted it already and I think I may add a tad bit of chipotle to it as I heat it tonight just ot give it the deep flavor that chipotle adds. I also think next time I make it I will use baked torrilla chips instead of tortillas as I like the way they crumble better and melt into the soup. My tortillas are still in little flakes and really didn't thicken the soup much at all and that is what I was looking for. Dh loved the tortilla soup he could get at Souper Salad and we never go there any more 'cause it has disappointed us to many times so now I am trying to some what recreate that flavor and it needs to be thicker. I think the tortilla chips will do that.
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

Diane, did you use soft corn tortillas, or regular tortilla chips? I am wondering because you said that your tortillas are still in little flakes, and I am curious about that. When I made it, the majority of the tortillas pretty much dissolved into the broth, making it thick, while the ones that remained intact were very soft.

I hope your family likes it! Let us know what they think!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

I used soft corn tortillas. Some of them have desolved but most are stillsoft little flakes. I have made a tortilla soup befroe that used tortilla chips and they desolved better and made a thicker soup which is what I am looking for. I love this recipe with the alteratins I have made (added green chilis and a handful of corn) but I just want it thicker so will try the baked chips next time as they can be crumbled before adding to the soup so they don't stay flakey.
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

Wonderful recipe! Thank you. I only used 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and some cooking spray. I did add some corn and fresh lime juice at the end, but otherwise used the same measurements and ingredients. Following a similar recipe, I was able to save a step (and pot) by cooking the chicken in the soup. I followed all the steps of this recipe, but once I had added all the broth, I brought the soup to a boil. Then, I added the uncooked chicken breast and simmered for 15 to 20 minutes. I then removied the chicken breast and put aside to cool. Turned off the soup at this point. Once the breasts were cool, I shredded them, returned them to the pot and re-heated.

The soup was great! Oh, I slivered the remaining corn tortillas, sprayed with cooking spray and baked in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until they were crispy (also added a little salt). Those were used for the topping along with avocado and a little cheese.

I just wanted to add that we had this soup for dinner last night and it was fantastic! We had this yucky day that was raining and drizzly and C-O-L-D, and this soup really hit the spot! I was telling DH that it was exactly what I was hungry for!

Anyway, thanks for sharing it!!!
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I was also interested in the crockpot recipe for the tortilla soup when you have a chance to post it. Thanks love my beetle.

We had this for dinner Saturday. It was sooooo good on a chilly evening. Thanks for sharing!!!!! It will go into regular rotation. The boys loved it - they made jack cheese quesadillas to go with it and they gobbled it up!

Thanks so much for this fun soup recipe.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2

Just bumping this up since I don't know how else to copy the recipe!

Thumbs up

Rebecca,

I made this soup tonight and it was very good. I'll be making this one again. Thanks for sharing; I love all kinds of tortilla soup!

Natasha

Soup and movie

If you want a treat, make the soup and have it while watching the movie Tortilla Soup...a feast!

Thumbs up

I'm bringing up this old thread to say that I have finally made this and really love it! This is definitely a keeper. Thanks Rebecca!
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Yay! I am so glad that you enjoyed it, Wendy! It has become quite the favorite for my family... the past two times I have gone to visit my dad, he has requested that I make a double batch so that he can freeze individual servings (he lives alone)! But it is good to know that it freezes so well, not that it ever lasts that long at my house!

We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

Thumbs up Loved this

I made the recipe exactly as written (using the 3T. of oil like Rebecca) and this was so good. Dh ate three bowls. Next time my parents are here I'm making it again. They'll love it. Thanks!
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Wow, Wow, Wow!!! This was so darn good (and easy)!!! I left out the cayenne (not in a spicy mood tonight) and this soup still had tons of flavor. I ate too much, and now have just the slightest tummy ache.

Thank you to those who bumped up this thread, because I just saw it for the first time yesterday!!!

Naomi

I have another tortilla soup recipe that calls for taking the chicken breasts, cutting them into bite sized pieces, putting them in a soup pot, and covering them with 2 inches of water. Bring the water to a medium boil and cook for 20 to 215 minutes. This way, you make your own chicken stock, even though you might have to add additional stock to your soup.

I made this soup for dinner last night and it was delicious! I did cut the cayenne in half so it wouldn't be too spicy for the kids, and I used 3 small chicken breast halves. I actually did exactly what chefjon mentioned and used the water that I cooked the chicken in as the broth along with a little soup base. Thanks for the recipe Rebecca, and also to ewatkins for bumping it up!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Sorry to revive this old thread - but I just wanted to say thanks to Rebecca for sharing such a great recipe. I don't know why it took me so long to finally make it, but I am so glad that I did. It was delicious...and I'll definitely be making it again.

I only used 1 Tbsp of oil, and it seemed like enough to me. I also used six La Tortilla Factory brand whole wheat flour tortillas (what I had on hand), rather than the 8 corn tortillas called for. I'm sure it was a bit different with the ww flour instead of corn tortillas, but it was delicious nonetheless.

I made this recipe the other day. We all really enjoyed it. Thanks Rebecca for sharing.

I, too, only used 3 T of oil. I can't imagine it needing more than that. It was great with a little shredded cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream and guacamole. YUM!! It went into my Tried 'n True MasterCook cookbook.
    Pam's MasterCook 5+ Help Site (download a MasterCook tips "cookbook" -- UPDATED 04/19/04): http://mc6help.tripod.com/

Check out the MasterCook Cupboard (info for all versions of MC): http://mastercook_cupboard.tripod.com/

Rebecca,

I just wanted to thank you for the recipe. I made the soup tonight (gotta use up that leftover chicken!), and it was delicious. I used 2 Tbsp of olive oil and this seemed to be enough. I also added a sqeeze of lime and some extra cilantro, plus a little cheese and tortilla strips for garnish, as per suggestions. Very easy and yummy!

Thank you again for sharing this,

kyra

Rebecca,

Thanks for posting this! I'm not much of a soup eater, but this sounded so good I had to give it a try. It's delicious! Gotta love that Houston Junior League!

BTW. Has anyone run this recipe through Mastercook yet?

assuming 3 tbsp oil and 4 chicken breast halves and 6 servings:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 336 Calories; 14g Fat (38.2% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 55mg Cholesterol; 2632mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

I want to thank everyone for reviving the thread. I moved up here from TX in September, and my boyfriend mourns the loss of tortilla soup. I find recipes for it, but they all didn't seem to have the right ingredients. Since this one is tried and true, I am going to make it for him.

...he misses the tortuga and central market tortilla soups.

Keep the Tex-Mex recipes coming!
    Never mistake motion for action.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Originally posted by valchemist
    assuming 3 tbsp oil and 4 chicken breast halves and 6 servings:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 336 Calories; 14g Fat (38.2% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 55mg Cholesterol; 2632mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
    Thanks Val!

BTW. 1 Tablespoon of oil seems to be plenty for this soup.

Yay! Anna, I am so glad you liked it! And thanks for bringing the thread up again... I need to make this soup again soon! It's been too long!

mobear, I hope that this recipe helps your DBF get over a little of his homesickness! I actually like this recipe better than Central Market's because it's not as greasy, especially if you cut the oil.

Good! I thought Central Market's was a little greasy myself, but when we were in graduate school and no time to cook, it was good in a pinch when home sick.
    Never mistake motion for action.
    -Ernest Hemingway

I had to add my thanks to Rebecca for posting this soup and to Anna for bringing the recipe back up. I was sitting at work yesterday knowing that I had no plan for dinner and very little in my fridge. Lo and behold, I saw this recipe which could use up my corn tortillas and leftover shredded pork (which worked great, by the way!). It was the perfect thing for a quick dinner on a cold and rainy night. YUM! Can't wait for lunch today!
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with wild abandon or not at all. --Harriet Van Horne

Rebecca - Something very ironic happened over the weekend I hadn't even GLANCED at the fact that this recipe came back up on the boards, and I managed to make it anyhow.

I had two chicken carcasses and some odds and ends, so on Sunday I decided to make stock. Having no idea what to do with it, I finally decided to make some sort of soup. Glanced through my recipe binder, and what recipe do you suppose I came up with?

This one!
    As always, this soup is excellent. And I've been enjoying the leftovers for lunch all week
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Did I miss the crockpot version?

Just checking to see if LoveMyBeetle was able to post the crockpot receipe. I'm a crockpot junkie. Anything for saving time.

I just finished making (and eating!) this for supper. It will be a mainstay of my winter soups!

Because in the last few weeks this recipe has gone into regular rotation in my kitchen, I wanted to add my thanks to Rebecca for this one. It's a soup I've always liked in restaurants and never found a recipe that struck me. Thought I'd bump it up here as well.

As in most of the previous posts, I tweak it a lot, reducing the oil, etc. etc, adding green chilis or jalapenos, too. Last week I left out the chicken altogether, added black beans and corn, and I think I liked it even better that way, as the tortilla flavor and texture really takes over.

Further, I ordered a copy of the Junior League cookbook. What a lovely book and what a great gift cookbook it would make! I've got a half dozen dishes already tabbed to try.

Thanks again, Rebecca, for a great one!

Bob, very much "souping it" this fall