Community Message Boards
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fantastic Tortilla Soup recipe to share

I made this soup a couple of weeks ago. I froze the portions, and I've been having a cup a week.

I really like having corn as one of the toppings. I add corn, cheese, tortilla chips, and avocado.

Yum!
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

Time for a monthly bump and thanks, again, to Rebecca, for one the absolute bests in my soup files. I'd roasted three five pound chickens over the weekend and this wonderful soup got one. I never make it that I don't send a silent "thank you" in Rebecca's direction.

Bob

I was all set to make the Chicken Cordon Bleu from CL, but didnít get the chicken out in time to thaw. I remembered I had marked this recipe, so made this soup instead. It is wonderful. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Bob for bumping it back up.

I had about 20 ounces of chopped tomatoes I needed to use up, so I used those instead of the crushed. I only put in 4 tortillas after reading some comments that it was on the thick side. Everything else I kept the same. I put the chicken in the pot to thaw and cook at the same time. This worked great, and when they were done, I removed them and the bay leaves. While the chicken cooled, I put my immersion blender in the pot, and blended everything together.

We thought it could be just a bit thicker. This could have been because I was 8 ounces short on tomatoes, or because I dropped to 4 tortillas (or maybe both). At any rate, it did not hurt the soup at all.

A big surprise for me was the cilantro. I donít really like it, it tastes like soap, but left it in anyway. Iíve made a CL Pad Thai that had a bunch, and the whole thing tasted like soap. I go to a Vietnamese restaurant, and they have a noodle soup there that only has a couple of sprigs floating in it, and it tastes like soap. Someone said cooking it along with everything mellows it out, so I left it. You could tell there was something there, but it wasnít soap.

What a great soup! Time for a bump.

There is a reason this thread is four pages! The soup was amazing! This is a bump for any poor souls who are even slower with their cooking intentions than I am!

Thanks Rebecca!

Thanks for the bump. I'm just seeing it for the first time and it looks fabulous! Can't wait to try. :-)
    Jean

I agree. I'm amazed by the great reviews. I'll be trying it early next week.

I made this soup today WOW - it is probably one of the best soups I have ever made - delicious! Followed the recipe, a tad less cayenne as HE doesn't like hot stuff - I also put a small parm rind in.

When you use the lime at the end - are you adding separately or into the whole soup pot?

Thanks for posting!

Elaine

I LOVE Tortilla Soup

and have never made it at home. I've been looking at this recipe for years, or at least every time it gets bumped back up

Oh sooo good!!!! Wonderful!!!

My subs( of course):

Made chicken soup, so used the "stock" from that", used the breasts from making the chicken soup, used tomato/pasta sauce (with garden veggies) because it's what I had, splashed some lemon juice into the pot at the end (because I didn't have lime juice). Also, I used 6 inch corn flat tostada shells (7 of them) because it's what I had. They disintegrated wonderfully.

Can't wait to have the left overs for lunch!!
    Albert Einstein reminded us all, "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of those people who donít do anything about it."

When you use the lime at the end - are you adding separately or into the whole soup pot?Elaine
    I am one who uses lime and I do add it to the whole pot (to taste). I usually do not add the cilantro to the whole pot though-I prefer the stronger taste of it when it is added to each portion fresh...

Sheila in MD

I have several good tortilla recipes that we like, but with all the accolades for this one, I had to make it. We had family over for football last night, and the soup was a hit. The only changes I made was using Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, halved the cayenne, and chopped up some jarred jalepenos. There was just enough heat while eating it, without it lingering long after your bowl was empty. This a definite keeper. In fact, DW was going to give a client two of my tortilla soup recipes, and is now going to give her this one instead.

Wow!!! This was great. Has a little kick to it, but nothing a entire family can't handle. It was enjoyed by the whole family, even the 8 year old. This is perfect to serve on cold nights, football watching with friends or when you have a craving for Mexican food. I think I will be asking to take home some left over turkey on Thanksgiving to make this again!!!

I think I must be the last person to try this soup recipe! I made it last week with some leftover turkey. I decreased the oil to about 1 tablespoonful and used a bit less chili powder. The soup was excellent! I will definately be making this again soon.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

It has been less than a month... but it is time to bump this recipe again. Some how I managed to miss this post over the years. On Saturday I was looking for a soup to cook for a Sunday gathering with friends. I found this one.

The soup was wonderful. I was a bit nervous about the corn tortilla pieces so early in the soup process... but they made the soup wonderfully thick. Lots of kids were attending the 'soup afternoon' so I decided to leave out the 2 hot ingrediants. It was a great success. With all the craziness.. I forgot to add the lime at the end and it was still great. I'll try it next time.

Thanks so much for sharing and for keeping this post alive! It is easy to make and so good!

Renee

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaT View Post

Tortilla Soup
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil [I used 3]
    8 corn tortillas, chopped
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    3 bay leaves
    6 cups chicken stock [I made broth using Penzey's soup base, then added 1 tsp of soup base to the pot]
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 to 6 cooked chicken breast halves, shredded (about 2 cups)

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro, and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Add salt and cayenne. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in chicken. Reheat. Garnish with monterey jack, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips

Serves 6 (1.5 cup servings)
    5 WW points with reduced oil, not counting garnish
    This is a very old thread, but I had to find who originally posted this wonderful soup recipe. I made this on Thursday night and I'm still eating it. I think I might OD on it. It is the best tortilla soup I have ever had and that includes in restaurants. I will never try another tortilla soup recipe again.

Thanks RebeccaT for posting this.

Thumbs up Thank you Rebecca!! Awesome Recipe!!

I made this last night with my hubby's assistance and we both loved it. Thanks for sharing and I hope your holidays are filled with joy.

Lisa

I finally made this yesterday with leftover chicken and the last of my corn tortillas. I didn't have fresh cilantro, so used dried. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!! This was delicious!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

i don't have any corn tortillas, only flour. it's pouring outside and i don't want to go to the store.

do you think i can sub flour tortillas and still have an awesome end result???

Quote Originally Posted by tigermorris View Post
    i don't have any corn tortillas, only flour. it's pouring outside and i don't want to go to the store.

do you think i can sub flour tortillas and still have an awesome end result???
    I don't think it would be the same awesome :-) ....but I also think you probably could leave them out and just cut down on the chix broth. I just don't think you'll get the same results with flour...but maybe you should try it and let us all know.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

This soup sounds so good...I'm definitely going to have to try it SOON.

If you have tortilla chips, I would skip the corn tortillas rather than use flour tortillas and just add extra chips at the end as garnish. I like my tortilla soup thin, anyway.

I just tried this but with 1T oil, and the cilantro added at the very end. It is very good, but needs sour cream to tone down so much cayenne, and I love spicy! I'd go much less cayenne for 'normal eaters'.

I adore tortilla soup here in AZ but just had an inedible one at a resort in Puerto Vallarta, believe it or not!