Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test driving lasagna

Wink Test driving lasagna

Hi Everyone,

Every year for Thanksgiving my whole family gets together for 4-5 days, hanging out and eating. There are several of us who take a night and prepare dinner for the whole clan, which sometimes numbers up into the 30's.

I usually make lasagna, which is a favorite, but I'm getting tired of the same old thing. Everyone wants lasagna but I was hoping to incorporate some new lasagna recipes along with the old meat/tomato sauce standby. I've tried the butternut squash lasagna and only a few really thought it was a repeater.

So the challenge has been thrown out...what are your tried and true lasagna recipes. One minor caveat...it has to be freezable so I can make ahead of the big week.

Thanks much!

"It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Darn...I was going to suggest the Winter Squash with Rosemary and Golden Raisins...it's reeeeeally good...

Hm. I'm sure others will have tried-and-trues...

Hey, how about the Creamy Four-Cheese Macaroni? I made that for dinner tonight, and it's always tasty. I can post if you don't have Mastercook archives.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I'd have to say my favourite lasagne is actually a non-lasagne - CL's Layered Zucchini, which is just like a lasagne but without the noodles. My best friend and I just LOVE it (and I know quite a few others on the BB feel quite fondly towards it too). It's easy-ish to make (although many pots and bowls are needed), and has a familiar meat-and-tomato-sauce-ness with a bit of a twist. (I know you're wanting to move away from the meat-and-tomato thing, but just in case you don't want to scare the people too much)

What about Jewel's Mexican lasagna? It is on my list to try, so I am not experienced with it, but others on the BB love it!

Try using polenta instead of lasagna noodles.

~emilie
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

One of our favourites is Eggplant Lasagna (a variation on the recipe that CL published last April, I think). I don't know if that would go over well with your clan, but if so, and you'd like the recipe, just ask.

Or perhaps, as well as your traditional lasagna, you could make a second lasagna that still has meat but maybe a different kind (e.g., sausage), and add in some different cheeses and herbs...

Have fun! Sounds like a great few days. Hanging out and eating - there's not much better than that!

Natasha

Lightbulb Here's a very good veggie lasagna

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vegetable Lasagna^ -- 7 pts

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine: Jan/Feb 2001, page 140
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Lowfat Main Dishes
    Pasta Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
    3/4 cup chopped zucchini
    1/2 cup sliced carrots
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
    1 (26-oz jar) fat-free tomato-basil sauce
    2 tablespoons pesto sauce -- commercial
    1 (15-oz carton) part-skim ricotta cheese
    cooking spray
    6 hot cooked lasagna noodles -- cut in half about- 6 oz
    3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese -- about 3/4 cup

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and the next 4 ingredients (mushrooms though onion). Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pasta sauce, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

Spray 8-in square baking dish with cooking spray. (Use disposable aluminium foil pan for easy clean-up/ gift-giving)

Combine pesto and ricotta in a small bowl. Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture in the bottom of the square baking dish.

Arrange 4 noodle halves over tomato mixture. Top noodles with half of ricotta mixture. Top ricotta with 1 cup of tomato mixture.

Repeat layers, ending with noodles.

Spread remaining tomato mixture over noodles; sprinkle with mozzarella.

Cover and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

To make ahead:
    Assemble as directed. Stop before baking. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature; bake as directed above.

Per Cooking Light:
    328 cals, 10.9 g. fat(30%CFF), 3.7 g fiber= 7 WW points
    39 g. carb, 418 mg. calcium (almost 2 milk servings worth of calcium!)

Description:
    "Helping Hands Recipe: Make ahead and deliver uncooked with baking
    instructions."
    S(typos and MC formatting by):
    "JaneStarr in CT"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 318 Calories; 12g Fat (41.5% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 583mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Jane's notes: I added salt to the tomato mixture and used a leek instead of the red onion, since I had it on hand. I didn't have pesto sauce, so I used 2 teaspoons of the "pesto paste" that comes in a tube and mixed it with less than the 2 tablespoons of olive oil (that the package directs). This was very tasty. I don't see any reason why this recipe couldn't be frozen unbaked. I would just thaw for 24 hrs in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature for half an hour before following the regular baking directions. This could easily be made in a 9 X13 inch pan by just doubling the ingredients and using whole lasagna noodles.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

How about a lasagna with a white sauce as opposed to a red.... I have a wonderful Ham and Spinach Lasagna recipe that I could post if you are interested.

Actually, I found it on the BB where I had posted it before.

Ham and Spinach Lasagna

6 lasagna noodles
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
    2 cups skim milk
    2 TBSP cornstarch
    1 TBSP dried minced onion
    1 ½ cups diced fully cooked ham (½ pound)
    ½ tsp Italian seasoning, crushed
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)

1. Cook lasagna in lightly salted boiling water for 10 - 12 minutes or till al dente. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, cook spinach according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.

3. For Sauce, in a medium saucepan combine milk, cornstarch and onion. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.

4. Spread 2 tablespoons of the sauce evenly in the bottom of a 10 x 6 x 2-inch baking dish. Stir ham and Italian seasoning into remaining sauce.

5. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles in the dish. Spread with 1/3 of the sauce. Layer spinach atop. Layer another 1/3 of the sauce, the cottage cheese, and half the mozzarella. Place remaining noodles atop. Top with remaining sauce and mozarella.

6. Bale in a 375 oven for 30 - 25 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 6

265 calories, 25g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 7g fat, 53mg cholesterol, 821mg sodium, 507 potassium

Source: Betther Homes & Garden All New Dieters Cookbook

Originally posted by beckms
    Darn...I was going to suggest the Winter Squash with Rosemary and Golden Raisins...it's reeeeeally good...
    beckms, any chance you'd share this recipe? I did a search but didn't find it. Sounds great (for dinners when Sweetheart won't be home - he won't go near the squash but it's one of my favorites).

TIA,
    - E.

Originally posted by Natasha
    One of our favourites is Eggplant Lasagna (a variation on the recipe that CL published last April, I think). I don't know if that would go over well with your clan, but if so, and you'd like the recipe, just ask.
    Natasha,

I'd like the recipe

Emily

Originally posted by emily

Natasha,

I'd like the recipe

Emily
    Hi emily,

I'll post it tomorrow!

Natasha

The Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna from CL is a favorite around here. Even my kids eat it, which is incredible. It's really good. I'm SURE there is an old thread about it, maybe even with the recipe. I also just posted a recipe for "Lazy Day Overnight Lasagna" which might come in handy at some point for your Thanksgiving weekend.

Two Recipes

Martha was right (thanks Martha!) - here is the recipe for ya, emily! I have experimented with various cheeses, different pasta sauces, adding shrooms and way more herbs (and fresh ones), and it has always come out well. Enjoy!!

For good measure, I've also included a squash lasagna posted by funnybone some time back and that I found on the same thread as the eggplant lasagna recipe. Shoyski, I know your clan may not be keen on it, but thought I'd post it since others here seem to love squash lasagna!

Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. April 2001. Page: 174.
    Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Dish Pasta

2 large egg whites
    1 large egg
    1 lb eggplant -- cut crosswise into1/4-inch-thick slices
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
    Cooking spray
    2 cups shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese -- divided (8 ounces)
    5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese -- divided
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    15 ozs part-skim ricotta cheese
    12 ozs lowfat cottage cheese
    1 large egg white
    26 ozs fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
    1 lb lasagna noodles -- 12 noodles, cooked

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Combine 2 egg whites and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Dredge 1 eggplant slice in flour. Dip in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumbs. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant, flour, egg mixture, and breadcrumbs. Place slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of slices with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, turning eggplant after 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.

3. Combine 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, oregano, basil, ricotta, cottage cheese, and 1 egg white in a large bowl.

4. Spread 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles slightly overlapping over the pasta sauce; top with half of cheese mixture, half of eggplant slices, and 3/4 cup pasta sauce. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread remaining pasta sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 35 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes. Yield: 9 servings.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 472 Calories; 11g Fat (21.2% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 62g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 1275mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH, ROSEMARY, AND GARLIC LASAGNE

3 pounds butternut squash, quartered, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 9 1/2 cups)
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 cups milk
    2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crumbled
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    nine 7- by 3 1/2-inch sheets dry no-boil lasagne pasta
    1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan (about 5 ounces)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs

Preheat oven to 450°F. and oil 2 large shallow baking pans.

In a large bowl toss squash with oil until coated well and spread in one layer in pans. Roast squash in oven 10 minutes and season with salt. Stir squash and roast 10 to 15 minutes more, or until tender and beginning to turn golden.

While squash is roasting, in a saucepan bring milk to a simmer with rosemary. Heat milk mixture over low heat 10 minutes and pour through a sieve into a large pitcher or measuring cup.

In a large heavy saucepan cook garlic in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Stir in flour and cook roux, stirring, 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in milk mixture in a stream until smooth. Return pan to heat and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until thick. Stir in squash and salt and pepper to taste. Sauce may be made 3 days ahead and chilled, its surface covered with plastic wrap.

Reduce temperature to 375°F. and butter a baking dish, 13 by 9 by 2 inches.

Pour 1 cup sauce into baking dish (sauce will not cover bottom completely) and cover with 3 lasagne sheets, making sure they do not touch each other. Spread half of remaining sauce over pasta and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan. Make 1 more layer in same manner, beginning and ending with pasta.

In a bowl with an electric mixer beat cream with salt until it holds soft peaks and spread evenly over top pasta layer, making sure pasta is completely covered. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan over cream. Cover dish tightly with foil, tenting slightly to prevent foil from touching top layer, and bake in middle of oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake lasagne 10 minutes more, or until top is bubbling and golden. Let lasagne stand 5 minutes.

Garnish each serving with rosemary.

Serves 6 as a main course or 12 as a side dish.

Gourmet
    December 1995

One of my favorite holiday dishes to make is Spinach Lasagna Bechamel from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant . It's pretty simple, but very rich and elegant- a definite crowd pleaser! I'd be happy to post if you or anyone is interested...

Julie
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Smile please please julie...

I would like the recipe for the spinach bechamel.

Thank you.

Me too!
    And the new Joy of Cooking has a roasted red bell pepper and goat cheese lasagne which was a big hit. But I know those are two flavors that have many detractors...

Here you are! WARNING WARNING- this is decidely NOT light, but what the hay- it's the holidays, you needn't have a huge piece, and it's so wonderful- enjoy!

Oh, and use quality cheeses- particularly for the mozzarella and the Parmesan. Splurging on the quality stuff really makes a difference here.

Spinach Lasagna Béchamel
    New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant

Serves 6-8

Almost an embarrassment of riches. Impressive dinner party fare. Notice our suggestion about using uncooked noodles- it works for all lasagnas!

Béchamel Sauce
    6 cups milk
    1 cup butter
    1 cup unbleached flour
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/8 teasppon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated (optional) My note: the nutmeg is one of the key ingredients, IMO! A must! (I've always used ground).

1/4 cup vegetable oil or butter
    2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    2 cups chopped onions
    2 pounds spinach, rinsed, stemmed, and chopped
    3/4 cup fresh parsley My note: I prefer Italian flatleaf to the more bitter curly kind
    1 pound ricotta cheese
    2 eggs
    2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (5 ounces)
    2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
    1 package lasagna noodles

To prepare the Béchamel sauce, heat the milk until very warm but not boiling. In another pan melt the butter on medium heat. Do not let brown. Whisk in the flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirrinf constantly. Gradually add the hot milk and continue whisking until the sauce thickens.

Sauté the garlic and onions in the oil or butter. WHen the onions are transluscent, stir in the spinach and 1/2 cup of the parsley. If the spinach is dry, add a little water. When the spinach has wilted, remove it from the heat and set aside.

Mix together the remaining parsley, the ricotta cheese, eggs, and 2/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese.

At this point, either cook the lasagna noodles al dente or do as we do, and don't cook them at all. Just layer the raw noodles in the pan as you would if they were cooked. Go on, simplify your life! My note: I have always used regular raw noodles here- makes for a firmer lasagna, I think.

Oil a large casserole or lasagna pan and layer the ingredients in the following order: First, 1 1/2 to 2 cups Béchamel sauce, a third of the noodles, half of the spinach mixture, all of the mozzarella. Next, 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sauce, a third of the noodles, all of the ricotta mixture, the rest of the spinach mixture. Finally, 1 1/2 to 2 cups sauce, the remaining noodles, the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle 1 1/3 cups Parmesan on the top.

Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes and then uncovered for another 10- 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow 10 to 15 minutes for the lasagna to set up before serving.

Serve with a simple salad or a side dish of steamed or marinated vegetables.
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Thanks Martha and Natasha for finding the recipe for me... I should have done a search

I have 4 beautiful eggplant waiting to be used, but don't know that I'll have time to eat them immediately, so I'm going to try this recipe and freeze it - hopefully that won't destroy it. I'm also going to try substituting thinly sliced zucchini (since I have three of those) for the lasagna noodles... I promise not to complain if it doesn't work

Emily

shoyski - would you mind posting your "usual, family favorite"?

TIA
    cjm

Wink Oh, gee, I can't help this...

... but every time I see this thread title, I picture a giant lasagna with a driver's seat dug into it, complete with steering wheel, and someone driving it around the kitchen shouting "vroom! vroom! vroom!"

Sorry.
    Phoebe

the layered zucchine lasagna was EXCELLENT

Guest Guest
    This isn't lasagna, but it is very good. I have never frozen it, but I would think that it would freeze well.

PENNE WITH TOMATOES, OLIVES AND TWO CHEESES

6 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    3 28-ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
    2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth ( I use the juice drained from the tomatoes)
    1 pound penne or rigatoni
    2 1/2 cups packed grated Havarti cheese
    1/3 cup sliced pitted brine-cured olives (such as Kalamata)(more is better)
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil

Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in tomatoes, dried basil and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer and mixture thickens to chunky sauce and is reduced to 6 cups, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm over low heat before continuing.)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain well.

Return pasta to same pot. Toss with 3 tablespoons oil. Pour sauce over and toss to blend. Mix in Havarti cheese. Transfer pasta to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with olives, then Parmesan.

Bake until pasta is heated through, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with basil.

Serves 4.

Bon Appetit
    February 1995

I was just looking for lasagna recipes on www.allrecipes.com and there were a lot of interesting alternatives to the ground beef and ricotta standard.

Most looked VERY good -- check them out! (WARNING: I think most of them were NOT light!)
    People are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

-- Abraham Lincoln

This is my all-time favorite lasagna recipe. In fact, I've pretty much stopped experimenting with any other recipes since this one is so good. The mounds of fresh basil give it an amazing flavor. It's definitely not light, but like Julie said, "what the hay- it's the holidays"

Also...I've made the Penne with Tomatoes... that MWS posted and that is also really fabulous. Once I made it for a big dinner buffet and everyone raved about that one dish more than any of the others. But here's the lasagna:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sausage, Cheese & Basil Lasagna

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Pasta

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 pound sausage -- (spicy) casings removed
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    3 large garlic cloves -- chopped
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes -- with added puree
    1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes -- with green peppers & onions (do not drain)
    1 1/2 cups fresh basil
    23 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese -- (6-oz) grated
    3/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- (2-oz) grated
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    12 lasagna noodles -- (the no-boil kind)
    3 cups mozzarella cheese -- (12-oz) grated
    1 cup parmesan cheese -- (3-oz) grated

For sauce - Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausages, onion, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper; saute until sausage is cooked through, mashing sausage into small pieces with back of fork, @ 10 min. Add crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes with juices. Bring sauce to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled.)

For filling - Using on/off turns, chop basil leaves finely in processor. Add ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper. Using on/off turns, process filling until just blended and texture is still chunky.

To assemble - Preheat oven to 375. Spread 1 1/4 C. sauce in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Arrange 3 noodles on sauce. Drop 1 1/2 C. filling over noodles, then spread evenly to cover. Sprinkle with 3/4 C. mozzarella and 1/4 C. Parmesan. Repeat layering of sauce, noodles, filling and cheeses 2 more times. Top with remaining 3 noodles. Spoon remaining sauce atop noodles. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Spray large piece of foil with nonstick olive oil spray. Cover lasagna with foil, sprayed side down.

Bake 40 minutes. Carefully uncover. Increase oven temperature to 400. Bake until noodles are tender, sauce bubbles thickly and edges of lasagna are golden and puffed, about 20 minutes. Transfer to work surface; let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Source:
    Bon Appetit Feb. 2000

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 947 Calories; 44g Fat (42.0% calories from fat); 45g Protein; 92g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 126mg Cholesterol; 1085mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 6 Fat.

Originally posted by Canice

And the new Joy of Cooking has a roasted red bell pepper and goat cheese lasagne which was a big hit. But I know those are two flavors that have many detractors...
    Roasted red peppers and goat cheese, yum! Just throw in some kalamata olives and I'll be in heaven. Could you post the recipe, Canice? I'm sure it's not in my 1964 edition of Joy of Cooking, but then I'll bet the new one doesn't tell you how to cook beavertail.

Originally posted by Clover
    I'm sure it's not in my 1964 edition of Joy of Cooking, but then I'll bet the new one doesn't tell you how to cook beavertail.
    Are you kidding? The new one doesn't even show you how skin a squirrel, for Pete's sake!
    I will definitely post it when I get home - in a day or two.

tracey67, that recipe is definitely the next lasagne I make!

WOW, what a great response....thank you, thank you! MWS, interesting that you posted the Penne recipe...I printed that out this summer when you posted it, thinking I'd wait until "comfort food" season arrived.

I guess I'd better roll up my sleeves and start driving. I'm sure DH won't mind . Phoebe, I cracked up laughing...your imagery is right on!

MJG, coincidentally I tried Jewel's Mexican lasagna last week and it was a winner! I had to tweak it so it wasn't too spicey for DH but it's a keeper for us. Unfortunately, I don't think it would freeze well. I think the tortillas would get a bit too soggy.

CJM, I don't really have a "recipe" per se.... I just brown some ground round with some onions and garlic, throw in some cans of diced tomatoes, a bit of tomato paste, red wine that I have on hand and then season with dried basil and dried oregano, salt and pepper. There's no measuring. It's important to use a low fat ground round so there isn't much fat...that way you can saute the onions and garlic at the same time. I let the sauce simmer for over three hours, at least. Then I just layer the sauce with mozzarella, fresh parmesan and ricotta cheese. Nothing fancy at all. Oh, and I don't cook my noodles since I freeze this ahead of time. Sorry I can't be more precise. This is about the only thing I don't use a recipe for. I"m always complaining to DH that I can't make up stuff, that I'm a recipe follower.

Thanks again, everyone!

Charles Dickens

Re: Two Recipes

Originally posted by Natasha
    Martha was right (thanks Martha!) - here is the recipe for ya, emily! I have experimented with various cheeses, different pasta sauces, adding shrooms and way more herbs (and fresh ones), and it has always come out well. Enjoy!!
    Enjoy, I did! I loved this. It's a little time intensive with the breading and baking of the eggplant, but while the eggplant does it's first bake, it's easy to mix together the rest of the ingredients. I used fresh noodles - so no precooking of those. Mine came out gorgeous. Yummy!

Thanks Natasha and Martha!

Oh, Shoyski, I put a smaller version of the eggplant parmisen lasagna in the freezer, so I'll let you know how it holds up.

Emily

Emily, thanks a bunch. We really liked that recipe but I never thought to freeze it. Should've asked the board, eh?

Charles Dickens

Originally posted by Clover
    Roasted red peppers and goat cheese, yum! Just throw in some kalamata olives and I'll be in heaven. Could you post the recipe, Canice? I'm sure it's not in my 1964 edition of Joy of Cooking, but then I'll bet the new one doesn't tell you how to cook beavertail.
    Hi, clover! I'm home again and have the new JOC in front of me. Here goes:

The goat cheeses available in stores vary so much, from dry and crumbly to smooth and creamy, that you may need as little as 1/4 cup or as much as 1 cup heavy cream to make the filling in this recipe spreadable. This meatless lasagne is easily assembled ahead of time and is ideal for buffets:

Roasted Red Pepper and Herb Goat Cheese Lasagne
    Have ready
    1-1/2 recipes Simplest Italian Tomato Sauce Marinara (recipe follows)
    6 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Combine in a food processor:
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    3 scallions, or 1/2 small onion, chopped
    1/4 cup packed mixed fresh herbs, such as basil and parsley, or 1 Tbsp. mixed dried oregano and parsley
    Two 10-11 ounce logs fresh mild goat cheese
    Up to 1/4 cup heavy cream
    Salt and ground black pepper to taste.
    Process until creamy and smooth. The filling should be easy to spread. If it is too stiff, add:
    Up to 3/4 cup heavy cream
    Bring to a rolling boil in a large pot:
    8 quarts water
    2 Tbsp. salt
    Add and cook until barely tender:
    1 pound fresh lasagne or 1 pound dried

Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly oil a 13x9x3-inch baking or lasagne pan.
    Spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce Spread with one-quarter of the cheese filling and top with one-quarter of the red peppers. Ladle enough tomato sauce to just barely cover the layer and sprinkle with one-quarter of the Parmesan cheese. over the bottom of the dish. Cover the sauce with a layer of pasta, overlapping the noodles by 1/2 inch. Repeat the layers 3 more times until all the ingredients are used, finishing with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese (4 layers total). Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until bubbly on top, 20-30 minutes for fresh pasta, 45-50 minutes for dried pasta. Remove the foil for the last 10-15 minutes of baking. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Simplest Italian Tomato Sauce Marinara
    (Enough for one pound of pasta)

Bring to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-low heat:
    - Two pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled if desired, seeded, and coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice, crushed between your fingers as you add them to the pan
    - 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    - 3 cloves garlic, halved
    - 6 sprigs fresh basil
    - 6 sprigs fresh parsley

Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Pass through a food mill and season with kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
    Last edited by Canice; 10-14-2002 at 08:20 PM.