Community Message Boards

Thread: Sorghum vs. Molasses

Sorghum vs. Molasses

What is the difference between sorghum and molasses? Is it the same thing? Can they be used interchangeably? I'm not a fan of molasses and was wondering if sorghum was better/milder. thanks

Cook's Thesaurus: Liquid Sweeteners
    ...sorghum molasses = sorghum syrup Notes: This is made from sorghum cane juice, and Southerners sometimes use it instead of molasses to make things like barbecue sauce, baked beans, and gingerbread. Look for it in health food stores....
    http://www.foodsubs.com/Syrups.html

Epicurious says.....One sorghum by-product the United States does use for human consumption is the sweet juice extracted from the stalks, which, like that from the sugarcane, is boiled down to produce a thick syrup called sorghum molasses (also sorghum syrup or simply sorghum ). It's often used as a table syrup and to sweeten and flavor baked goods.

Light molasses comes from the first boiling of the sugar syrup and is lighter in both flavor and color. It's often used as a pancake and waffle syrup. Dark molasses comes from a second boiling and is darker, thicker and less sweet than light molasses. It's generally used as a flavoring in American classics

Sorghum molasses is the syrup produced from the cereal grain SORGHUM.

Ooh! I love sorghum. I like to pour it over cornbread. Not sure I'd do that with molasses, though. Unfortunately, the only place I can get it around here is at Cracker Barrel.
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

Thanks Terry! I'm still a little confused , but it looks like I could use sorghum in gingerbread or gingerbread cookies.
    Shirley, does it taste like molasses? Is it more mild?

I just went to your link Terry and it says that maple syrup can be used as a substitue for molasses and that it works well in gingerbread cookies. Who knew?! I may have to try that. Has anyone ever used maple syrup in place of molasses in gingerbread?

Hmm. I don't have any sorghum in the house right now. From what I remember, though, sorghum is a little thicker and lighter in color, so it may well be milder. I'll have to get some and do a test.
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

THanks Shirley. I don't have either in the house or I would do a taste test.