Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you make recipes you grew up with?

Hybrid View

Question Do you make recipes you grew up with?

DH's brother and SIL and their 2 kids are coming to visit this weekend and I have been working on getting dinner for tonight ready. I am making chili and a chicken and rice soup, wholewheat bread, and apple crisp for dessert.

I also made some sweet rolls for breakfasts.

While I was working on all this, it occurred to me that the chili and the sweetrolls are recipes that I grew up with. My Mom gave me her sweet roll recipe shortly before we moved to Colorado, and its great because I love these rolls. They are a little labor intensive, but so worth it. My dad's chili recipe he actually just sent to me about a week ago, so I have never tried it before today.

I have great memories attached to both of these recipes. The sweetrolls are a standby for Thanksgiving and Christmas breakfasts, but also as treats during the year. They are one of my Mom's signature items (which BTW I will post the recipes, but I am at work right now).

The chili has been a tradition in my parents house as long as I can remember. It is actually, if I am remembering correctly, an accidental tradition. My Dad was sent to the store to buy meat for Christmas Eve dinner, and there were going to be a lot of people at our house that night. He bought the wrong thing (actually got chili meat) and my Mom, of course flipped out when she discovered it as grocery stores were closing early that day.

So, they punted and found a chili recipe and made that instead. Everyone loved it so much, we have had chili for Christmas Eve dinner at their house for probably 20+ years.

So, these 2 special recipes from the family I grew up in, I get to share tonight with DH's brother and SIL and their kids, as well as DH's aunt.

So does anyone else have recipes that have been passed down through your family that you still make?
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I make Yugoslav Kifle cookies at Christmas - that recipe was given to my mother by my paternal grandmother. And the recipe for the Christmas cutout cookies that I make is my mother's recipe.

I also make my mom's sweet rolls. I'm wondering if they're the same (or similar) to yours!!

I make my mom's panzanella recipe, as well as her winter pesto (made entirely with dried herbs, before I knew the incredible taste of fresh basil pesto). Every Christmas we make the same spritz cookies.

My dad makes a simple, excellent fresh salsa that I love and I have duplicated it at home.

My grandmother made peanut butter ice cream pies for us when we were little, and I now have that recipe to make for my PB-loving DH. She also makes a steamed cranberry pudding with brown butter sauce for holiday meals that I love, and I will be making it this year for our Thanksgiving dinner.

I have several.

I do make my mom's chili (with a slight modification). I used tomato sauce where she used tomato soup.

I also make Mom's Cornbread & her Quick Chicken Parmesan. No recipes, but know how.

Great-Great-Grandmother's (maternal) Shortbread Cookies & Peanut Butter Divinity.

I use the same recipe for Sweet Potatoes at the holidays that Mom used. I have mom's copy of the cookbook. It is Sweet Pototo Souffle II from A Taste of Georgia.

Grandmother's (maternal) maid's recipe for Cornbread Dressing. I have no recipe, but I know how to make it. Carrie was a wonderful lady and cook!

Don't have any from my Dad, although he talks about his grandmother's rhubarb pie he couldn't taste it if I did get the recipe. He lost most of his sense of taste due to his skiing accident 5 years ago.

We've made DH's Mom's Hash a few times with leftover roast beef. Other than a copy of the recipe she uses for Santa's Whiskers Cookies we don't have any recipes from her.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Smile

I make Mom's very simple rice pilaf. The others I make are basically comfort foods that we ate when it was getting to the end of the month before Dad got paid. Things like chipped beef on toast (s*&t on a shingle!), noodles and eggs, tuna and rice casserole. I rarely make those now though, too fattening .

Neat thread!
    Susan
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Originally posted by SandyM
    I also make my mom's sweet rolls. I'm wondering if they're the same (or similar) to yours!!
    I wouldn't say I have an actual recipe for these, its more general instructions.

You melt a stick of butter in 2 cups of milk, then add 1/2 C (minus 2 Tbsp) sugar. Cool to lukewarm, sprinkle 2 tbsp of yeast on top of milk mixure. Add 1 egg and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead well.

Then you let rise in the oven, roll out into a big rectangle, I melted about 1-2 tbsp butter and brushed it on the dough, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar. Roll up, slice, rise again and then (this is a joke in our house) Bake 'til done.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Okay, you're scaring me...........

Almost identical (but we add chopped nuts to the filling).

Oh yeah!

Mom's Montana brownie recipe is one that I make most frequently. They are the best brownies, and everywhere I take them they are a hit. Other than that I mostly make casseroles and chili that doesn't come with a recipe. I do have mom's recipe for chicken paprikas, but I haven't made it yet. She's even tweaked it over the years to make it low fat, and it's still awesome.

Grandma gave me her recipe for kolaches, but I haven't tried those yet either. Very labor intensive.

DH makes the family Oysters Rockefeller every Christmas.

I still make pintos and cornbread, dunno how many generations that's passed down, but I would guess we've been making it the same way since pinto beans and cornmeal were introduced to Western North Carolina. One thing I never make but wish I could (don't make it because it's waaaaay bad for you) is my paternal grandmother's stuffed bell peppers (taught to me by my mom). You take a pound of hot country sausage, a can of tomatoes, a can of corn and leftover cornbread, mix all together with your hands and stick the mixture in parboiled green bell peppers and bake till it's really good and dark brown on top (I like mine a little burnt). Yuuuuuum. I also make my MIL's beef stew (basically the same as my moms except MIL adds beef broth) and my moms/my MILs chili (they are the same recipe). And green beans with potatoes boiled on top (way old family recipe). I need to learn to make kraut (old paternal recipe) and my maternal grandmother's black raspberry jelly. OMG, those are both amazing recipes.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Sandy, my mom does that sometimes. I was telling DH last night that you knew she was in a good mood when she put Karo syrup and pecans in the bottom of the pan and then put the rolls on top to rise.

Sometimes she puts nuts in the filling, she's also put raisins in the filling sometimes too.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I make these pudding chocolate chip cookies that my mom found on the back of a pudding box way back when. I also just got a recipe for her apple cake, although I haven't made that yet - I was too scared by the amount of oil and eggs but I'm going to try lightening it.

She also makes delicious beef and green beans, which she got either from her mother or my dad's mom, and I have made a few times.

I'm going home this weekend and hoping to learn how to make her grapeleaves.

Neat thread, Lara.

Emily

I still make my grandmother's beef stew recipe and my mother's chili which is really more of a soup than a real chili, but good and my grandmother's baked steak and veal birds. I make my mother-in-law's Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie (really a soup) which was *her* mother's recipe. I often make my mother's fudge and we've added a recipe for Beef and Potato Pie that one of my sons-in-law gave me that's his grandmother's recipe.
    My girls all make several of the recipes they grew up with so I've officially been handed down too.

I rarely cook anything my Mother made....anymore

My mother had no idea what cooking light was and she knew very little of cooking at all. I love her dearly but she was not much of a cook. I used to make my favorite child hood dish chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes served with a side of corn but that is SO heavy! I will probably make it once in a year now just as a comfort food thing. I don't usually even make the things I used to make since I started recieving Cooking Light. I truely have changed the way I cook in the last two years.
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

Good topic

Hmmm...

I make my mom's stuffed cabbage (but not to often b/c no one likes it as much as me)and carrot muffins.

I make my aunt's ruglach.

I make a challah recipe given to me by one of my mom's friends (she taught me to bake challah when I was a kid).

I make my husband's grandmother's cookies. We just call them grandma's cookies although she passed away about 12 years ago. Now her daughter and I get together to make them once a year, just before Christmas. My girls are learning to make them too, so we know they're at least the 4th generation on these.

Our "family favorites" include:

Wilted lettuce salad

potato salad (a sorta German style, but not exactly)

Cole slaw

These are all things my maternal grandmother fixed regularly and we (especially me) carry on the tradition.

Another intersting one that I do not make as often is my paternal grandmother's enchiladas. Interesting in that she was 100% German! Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

I don't get my family's recipes until I get married. Seriously. I asked my grandmother, who then passed the decision off to her daughters: my aunt nixed the idea. (She just recently got married, and darn it, I'll have to wait, too!)

Recipes I am privvy to include:
    Fudge Pie for Neil S. - originally made for my uncle Neil by a girlfriend's mother ... she's out of the picture, but the pie's still here

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing - my great-grandmother's recipe

Chicken, Cabbage, and Noodles - I'll have to make that soon!

Cucumbers and Onions - my grandmother's recipe, with white vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper ...
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I make my mother's lasagna all the time, and it remains my favorite lasagna out of all those I've tried (restaurant versions included). I also make Abeskiver, which is a Danish kind of pancake-y tasting dish (made in a specially shaped pan) using my grandmother's recipe. Other recipes I make a lot are Banana Oatmeal Cookies (grandmother), Snickerdoodles (mother - Betty Crocker recipe), and Banana Cake (mother).

DF makes his grandmother's Sweet & Sour Meatballs, which are delicious! His grandmother is a great cook and we'd love to get some of her other recipes. I think she's one of those who doesn't use recipes since she's made her dishes so many times over the years.

What a fun thread!

Kari

Now that I am thinking about it more, I realized some more recipes that I make that have been passed down.

I make my mom's cole slaw, and I can do a pretty decent job with that one, and I TRY to make her chocolate chip cookies. I can't get them to come out the same way, which is annoying because the recipe is printed right there on the back of the package of chocolate chips. DH says its because I have different "mojo" than my mom.

I also make DH's grandma's ginger snaps. When my sister got married, at one of her showers, we were to bring 2 recipes. Since she and I baked cookies a lot, I gave her a recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies and DH's grandma's ginger snaps. So, now she and her DH can enjoy them.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Re: I rarely cook anything my Mother made....anymore

Originally posted by dcornelius
    My mother had no idea what cooking light was and she knew very little of cooking at all. I love her dearly but she was not much of a cook. I used to make my favorite child hood dish chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes served with a side of corn but that is SO heavy! I will probably make it once in a year now just as a comfort food thing. I don't usually even make the things I used to make since I started recieving Cooking Light. I truely have changed the way I cook in the last two years.
    I'm in the same boat, EXCEPT that my mother is a really good cook. She'd rather bake than put a meal together, however, and most of the meals we had at home were pretty standard meat-and-potatoes fare. I do use her recipe for Swedish meatballs (our Christmas Eve dinner) and whenever I make chocolate chip cookies or brownies, I use her recipes. That's about all I can think of from childhood (nasty visions of Chopstick Tuna Casserole swirling in my head right now ).

I, too, have really changed the way I cook in the last few years.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

My Mom loved to bake and there was always something yummy coming out of her kitchen. I have so many lovely childhood memories of her baked goods and I can't even remember the names of them anymore...there was that cherry thing and that pecan thing and those lemon things...My Dad was a teacher and he was always being given home baked presents at the holidays. One mother gave him something called a 'Harvest Loaf' that was a pumpkin, spice bread with chocolate chips and nuts. My Mom didn't rest until she'd tracked down that recipe. She died in 1987 and I still have a few of her recipe cards (complete with food splatters) and when I see her handwriting it brings her right back again.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I also don't cook much of what my mother made us growing up because of the massive fat and calories. I used to love her stuffed cabbage until I watched her pour almost a cup of oil on them and shove them into the oven...Ugh! I eat them now when she makes them, but that's it. I do make my family spaghetti sauce...it takes all day and I had to learn by watching my mother over and over. It is wonderful and even better after being frozen. I also like making gnocci and ravioli from scratch like my grandmother used to do when I have the time...I have never tasted any better than hers. Hmmm, can you tell I am half Italian???
    Robin

Originally posted by LaraW
    Now that I am thinking about it more, I realized some more recipes that I make that have been passed down.
    Me too!

Banana Bread (I have a stash of frozen bananas waiting), Bourbon (or rum) Balls & Potatoe Salad are some other recipes I make from Mom.

I have an old photoalbum that she put recipes in, as well a spiral notebook she had. Those are cherished treasures (food splatters and all!)

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I don't make a whole lot of my mom's recipes, much to her chagrin!

I just cook differently than she does, and DH and I like different things. I do make her bean soup, which is good, but I add spices to it that we like. I very faithfully make the Colonial Pumpkin Pie that she started making when she was 12 years old for Thanksgiving, and when I was 12 she gave the recipe to me and I started making it. I love that pie - it's a lot darker (uses molasses in the filling) than other pies I have tried, and it has a delicious orange and pecan glaze on top. I also make her breakfast casserole, her fruit cobbler, and my grandmother's Ginger Muffins (which I think I posted on the BB last year), a Christmas tradition.

From DH's mother, I have her flank steak marinade recipe (but I don't make it that much anymore since CL has been publishing so many good ones lately), her stuffed peppers recipe (but I don't like those as much as DH! ), and her shrimp and grits recipe. DH will eventually want me to get her sweet potato pie recipe, but since we live in the same city as his folks right now, we are both content to let her make it!

Great topic! I think that the holidays are definitely the time when you bring out those family recipes, even if you don't any other time of the year.
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Interesting.

After taking some time to think about this one, I have to say that I DO make a number of things that I grew up eating -- but for most of them, I don't use recipes.

I make chili that's similar to my mother's, for instance, but I never use a recipe.

I also make a pork roast (on very rare occasions) that's probably a dead ringer for mom's; but again, no recipe.

The few recipes of mom's that I do use: BROWNIES, CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, RUGALACH, CORNMEAL SUGAR COOKIES ... all desserts, it seems.

I cook quite a bit differently than mom did -- mostly because I do so much vegetarian cooking. We grew up eating ethnic foods -- but again, we didn't eat as many as I tend to cook now. Mom had an emphasis on down-home cooking, though she now experiments a bit with other things. My grandfather was a butcher, so we always ate plenty of meat, and my mother would know what to do with almost any cut. Me? I'm pretty clueless.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Yes!! My mom made what I consider these days, many comfort foods that were wonderful. These are regulars:

Spaghetti sauce
    Parmesean chicken
    broccoli puff
    beef stroganoff
    sour cream coffee cake

from my dad I make the following
    waffles
    apple fritters
    homemade barbeque sauce

My mom loved to entertain, and while nothing was elegant, everything was lovely and wonderful. Her home was always open.

Interesting thread!

Though my mother was never a great cook, she could make a killer lasagna, and I always use that recipe. I also always use her recipe for pie crusts which is kick a**! Also, her recipe for coconut cream pie. We're similar in that we can make great desserts but she never took the time with school and kids to really learn how to cook.

I use my dad's marinade for steaks, straying only to throw in some spice.

I use my dad's fiancee's recipe for white chicken chili.

I use my grandmothers recipe for sand tarts at Christmas and her recipe for stuffing at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Even though I find all kinds of different recipes for these things I never stray, except here and there on the steak marinade!

It's funny how much our family's cooking has influenced us!
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

What a fun topic!

My dad was an accomplished cook, but he rarely made anything from a recipe. He loved to make Caesar salad right at the dining table in front of the guests. He had a salad bowl with legs so he could "perform" right in front of everybody. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened to this bowl when he passed away. But I do have several of his recipes that I make that came from the Mexican restaurant he owned, Pork Chile Verde and Albondigas Soup. I had to scale both recipes down from the gallons made at the restaurant. Both bring back bittersweet memories!

We still make a dish that my grandmother made for us, Ring-Dum-Ditty. This is our comfort food . From what I have gathered in researching the dish, it's a Depression-era dish (lots of cookbooks from the 30's have similar recipes with variations on the spelling of the name). It's a variation on WELSH RAREBIT, an English dish I believe. My hubby dislikes it, but the kids and I love it. Guess it has to pass down in the genes or something!

RING-DUM-DITTY

1 can Campbell's condensed Tomato Soup
    2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup milk
    1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated or cut into small chunks (my Grandmother always insisted on using Tilamook cheddar)
    Saltine crackers, toasted English muffins or toasted white bread

Heat the soup, Worcestershire sauce and milk over medium-low heat until hot. Add the cheese and cook over low heat until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth, stirring frequently. Serve over crackers or toast.

BTW, this tastes better when stirred with my Grandmother's beaten-up old wooden spoon - don't know why!
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

Originally posted by KCSoccer
    BTW, this tastes better when stirred with my Grandmother's beaten-up old wooden spoon - don't know why!
    its the mojo

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Most of my mother's dinner recipes - whether entree or side dish - contain the phrase "Add one can of Campbell's Cream of _____ soup..." so no, I don't use too many of Mom's recipes! We just have different eating styles. My parents eat pork, beef, chicken, fish, shellfish, you name it. I'm fish and poultry only; they eat canned vegetables, I eat fresh.

Her cookie recipes are incredible, but she's the only one who can make them as well as she does. My dad is a great cook, but he never uses recipes so I don't really have anything from him, either.

Whenever I (inadvertently) burn a dish, that's how my mother would've made it!