Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store Biscotti?

Red face How do you store Biscotti?

I am no longer a Biscotti Virgin! I made biscotti for the first time last week and I was SO proud of myself! I made CL's Toffee Biscotti with only one little change: The store I went to was out of the toffee brittle bits so I bought the milk chocolate covered toffee bits, which was basically crumbled Heath bars. YUM!! I did the double bake and they came out a bit soft like the recipe said, but they cooled to a nice crunchy cookie. DH and I both loved them! I let them cool on baking racks for about 3 hours, then put them in a zippie bag. The next morning they were all soft! They weren't still warm when I put them in the zippie, so I know they didn't steam in the bag. I left them out again on cooling racks trying to 'stale them up' a little and they got a teensy bit crunchier, but not much!

I put the remainder in my FoodSaver canister and vac-packed them, but they never did stay crunchy. I want to make these for my Christmas baskets this year, but I want to master the art of storing them first! What do you all do to keep them crunchy?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

When I make them, which isn't often--because I EAT THEM ALL
    what is not touched by me sits on the counter on a dish with saran wrap over it for a day...then a zip lock bag after that.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I store mine in my stomach!

Or, slightly more seriously, I rarely do the second baking and instead leave them to harden naturally and store in an air-tight container. I've never had problems with lack of crunch.

I usually store mine in zip loc bags too, but never have had them turn soft. However, when I take mine out after the second bake, there is just a little give in the center. I definitely would not call them soft when they come out of the oven. Maybe they just needed a little more cooking time.

Anyway, congratulations on making the biscotti. I've made variations on the Chai spice and the Cranberry Chocolate Chip, and really like them. And they make quick and easy gifts. I made biscotti for the last two families that moved into the neighborhood.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

Originally posted by sushibones
    I usually store mine in zip loc bags too, but never have had them turn soft. However, when I take mine out after the second bake, there is just a little give in the center. I definitely would not call them soft when they come out of the oven. Maybe they just needed a little more cooking time.
    When I brought them out after the second bake they were a bit soft, but they cooled to a perfect crunch. My problem with 'going soft' happened later! I'm thinking that they might have been still a little warm when I put them in the zippie bag that night so they sorta steamed themselves soft. I'm going to try again this week and this time I'm going to leave them out all night to dry and then use the FoodSaver canister! Thanks everyone!

Anyone have a good Almond Biscotti recipe? I bought slivered almonds and have a bottle of Penzey's pure almond extract...mmmmmm...

I can suggest an excellent Almond Biscotti recipe - will excellent do??

From CL Complete, their Almond Biscotti is benissimo (and great for those starting out with biscotti, really easy to make). Sorry I don't have the cookbook with me now, but will post tomorrow if no one else has posted it.

I have better luck storing biscotti and other dry/crunchy cookies in a tin rather than in plastic. I don't put the cover on the tin until I am certain the biscotti are totally cool.

Jane

Here's my favorite biscotti recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Double Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti - 1 Point for 2

Recipe By :"123 Success Recipe Collection" by Weight Watchers Magazine
    Serving Size : 40 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies Lowfat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup hazelnuts -- chopped
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon instant espresso or coffee powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    2 egg whites
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350. Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet; bake until light brown, about 8 minutes. Let cool. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and spray the foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Adjust the oven racks to divide the oven into thirds.

2. In a food processor, combine 2 tablespoons of the hazelnuts, the flour, 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips, the cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Process until the nuts are finely ground; transfer the dry ingredients to a large bowl. In the same food processor ( no need to clean), combine the sugar, eggs, egg whites and vanilla until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir in the remaining hazelnuts and chocolate chips.

3. Spoon one-fourth of the batter (about 3/4 cup) into a long rope, about 14" long and 1-1/2" wide, on one side of the baking sheet; repeat with the remaining batter, making 2 ropes on each baking sheet, with space in between. Bake, reversing baking sheets once, until firm, about 15 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300.

4. Place the logs on a cutting board. Cut with a serrated knife on the diagonal into 1/2" thick slices, making 80 biscotti. Place the slices upright on the baking sheets, 1" apart. Bake until the cut sides feel dry to the touch, 20-25 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

Points per serving (2 biscotti): 1. Per serving: 75 calories, 3 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 11 mg Cholesterol, 53 mg Sodium, 12 g Carbohydrate, 1 g Dietary Fiber, 2g Protein, 8 mg Calcium.

These are great! Definitely worth the effort. I made them for my dad at Christmas time and he loved them. Couldn't tell they were a WW recipe. REG 6 shared by Kathy K.(kkent@fix.net), San Luis Obispo, CA

I would store these in tin at room temp. They can also be frozen (but I don't find it necessary if they are used within a month) Jane

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 64 Calories; 2g Fat (29.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 9mg Cholesterol; 51mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Downloaded from the Freezer-Friendly files at http://www.onelist.com/files/Friendly-Freezer/Biscotti

These cookies are excellent (and I don't usually like biscotti). I accidentally ground all of the nuts, but the recipe was still yummy. Since I only have a small food processor, I used my Kitchen Aid mixer For step 2 (after grinding the nuts with only 1/4 cup of the flour and all of the cocoa, coffee, baking soda, and salt in the small processor) --Jane
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I also store my biscotti in ziplock bags. I double-bake mine and usually bake them to a nice crunch. (I like that they can be dipped and not lose the crunch). The only time I've run into the biscotti softening after they were baked is when I made the lemon biscotti (same issue) and put the lemon glaze on them. The moistness of the glaze softened the cookies. I've made the recipe with toffee bits, but I've never tried the chocolate covered toffee. I wonder if there's a chance the melted chocolate could have added just enough moisture to soften them???

Red face same problem jewel!

i had the same problem!

i made my first batch of biscotti this summer. after the second baking, i cooled them & they had the perfect crunch! i was so proud of myself!

after they were completely cooled (not warm at all), i placed them in ziploc bags. the next morning (6 hours later), i took one out & it was slightly soft. i mean it was still slightly crunchy-hard, but sorta had a "stale" taste- definately not as crunchy & good as the night before!

and i know they were not warm when i placed them in the bag- so my other theory is that it could be because it was a "light" recipe (i made the cl snikerdoodle version).

if anyone has luck storing them, tell me your trick!

I have had luck with several different biscotti recipes and storing them in a tin to keep their crunch.

Sushibones: Any chance of you posting your Chai Spice Biscotti recipe??? Sounds yummy!

if I'm going to keep the biscotti at room temperature, I let them cool and then put them in a tupperware. This seems to work fine (though I have no idea why it should be any different than a ziplock bag?)--but in any event, if yours have gone soft, you should be able to place them on a rack on a cookie sheet and re-crisp them in the oven for 7-10 minutes.

Usually, though, I freeze most of hte batch in ziplock bags. They seem to stay crunchy, although I do try to then defrost them in an open container, so any moisture can wick off. Anyway, this means that I can make 8 or 10 kinds, have them all in the freezer, and then put together a biscotti basket at any point just by pulling out 2 or 3 of each kind.

I have a number of "almond and" biscotti recipes--lemon almond, cranberry orange almond white chocolate, etc.--but I think the chocolate chip almond is my favorite, it's like a very very crunchy chocolate chip cookie.

Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti

3 ¼ cups flour
    ¾ tsp baking soda
    ¾ tsp baking powder
    12 Tbs butter, room temperature, cut into Tbs
    1 ¾ cups sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 large eggs
    1 ½ cups sliced (or slivered) almonds
    6 oz (1 cup) chocolate chips (double dark or bittersweet are excellent)

Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in almonds and chocolate chips. Lower mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Line a baking sheet with parchment and preheat oven to 350. Divide dough into two equal portions and shape each into a 2x16” log. Place logs, 3” apart, on the baking sheet and make in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes. (they will be sort of soft and not look very done. Don’t be fooled—these harden up substantially after they’re done baking, so DO NOT increase the baking time here. Guess how I know this?) Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack until cool enough to handle. Lower oven temp to 325. With a sharp knife, slice logs diagonally into 3/8” wide strips. Place flat side down on baking sheets and bake until golden, about another 10-15 minutes (again, don’t overbake).
    Last edited by Gilgamesh37; 10-15-2002 at 10:09 AM.

I have made bisscotti and stored them in Zip locs....

The only time I ever had problem with them bing soft was when I made them with whole chocolate. I think the chocolate retained some misture and kept them soft, or at least that's what I attributed the problem to. I don't make any with whole chocolate anymore. I am going to try the maple walnut in the Moosewood low fat book this afternoon! I'll let you know how they turn out! Ihave a new container I will probably put them in theis time it is just an acrylic container with an airtight lid I got a big bunch of nuts in as a gift and thought would make a good container for my biscotti.
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

The Chai Spice biscotti is actually from the November 2000 issue which had several biscotti recipes. I've made this with Orange Spice teabags as well (some of the chai tea bags have been overpowering spicy for me). I've also added 1/2 cup of orange-flavored craisins to this and sometimes grated orange peel, for a wonderful variation.

Jewel, I've also made the Cranberry-Chocolate Chip Biscotti from the same issue, but usually substitute slivered almonds (toasted) for the cranberries. Or you could use the cranberries and substitute almonds for the chocolate chips. Or just use all almonds. I regularly substitute in this recipe. I like it because it calls for 1 tsp almond extract and 1 tsp vanilla, and the "stuffing" appears to be pretty flexible.

BTW, I discovered that if you use your KA to mix these up with, it will do the kneading for you as well. I just use the paddle until the whole thing comes together. In previous threads, many people complained about how crumbly the dough was, and this seems to take care of it.

I don't have MasterCook so I copied these from other threads—there seem to be hundreds of threads on biscotti.

Chai Spice Biscotti

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. November 2000. Page: 200.
    Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon loose Chai spice tea or orange spice tea
    (about 3 tea bags)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon triple sec (orange-flavored liqueur) or
    orange juice
    3 large eggs
    Cooking spray

Directions.
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through allspice) in a large bowl. Combine the oil, liqueur, and eggs, and add to the flour mixture, stirring until well-blended (the dough will be dry and crumbly). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Divide the dough in half. Shape each portion into an 8-inch-long roll. Place rolls 6 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten each roll to 1-inch thickness.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the rolls from baking sheet; cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 15 (1/2-inch) slices. Place the slices, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees; bake 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes (the cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen (serving size: 1 biscotto).

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 79 Calories; 1g Fat (11.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 19mg Cholesterol; 38mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : No time to head to the local coffee shop for Chai tea this afternoon? No problem--just grab some of these tea-leaf-filled biscotti instead. They have a subtle flavor that sticks around long after the cookie is gone.

CRANBERRY-CHOCOLATE CHIP BISCOTTI

Recipe By :Cooking Light 11/00 page 202
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Biscotti Cookies
    Low Fat

2 3/4 Cups Unbleached flour
    1 Cup Sugar
    1/2 Cup Craisins
    1/3 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
    2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
    1/8 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Tablespoon Oil
    1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla
    3 Large Eggs
    Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 350° (325°).

Combine flour and the next 5 ingredients (flour thru salt) in a large bowl. Combine oil, extracts and eggs, add to flour mixture, stirring until well-blended. Dough will be dry and crumbly. Turn onto floured surface and knead 7 or 8 times. Form into logs, place on baking sheet covered with cooking spray.

Bake for 35 minutes at 350° (325°). Remove, cool for 10 minutes, slice, place cut side down on baking sheets and bake at 325° (300°) for 10 minutes on each side. Cool on rack.

Yield:
    "2 1/2 Dozen"
    Susan

I make biscotti regularly during the winter . they need to be crisp and firm so you can dunk them in your coffee!. Let them cool completely & store them in either a metal tin, like the ones you get from a fruitake or "bought" christmas cookies, or in a big glass jar with a clamp down lid. they will stay crisp for months in either of these. the lids should fit tight.

It's just DH and myself so things don't disappear that quickly. I have frozen them in zippies but set them loose on a rack to defrost.

I made a batch of cinnamon biscotti Sun. I keep them in a large plastic jar that I had bought biscotti from Sam's. They are yummy.

Sounds yummy!

Do you happen to have the cinnamon biscotti recipe handy?

Jane

here is one from CL

Cinnamon Biscotti

Recipe By :CookLight May 1997
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Biscotti

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs
    2 tablespoons stick margarine -- melted
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 325 º.
    2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in centr of
    mixture. Combne eggs, margarine, and vanilla; stir with a whisk. Add to
    flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
    3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 10 times.
    Shape dough into a 16-inch-long roll. Place roll on a baking sheet coated
    with cooking spray; flatten to a 3/4-inch thickness. Combine 2 tablespoons
    sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.
    4. Bake at 325º for 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10
    minutes (cookies will be slighlty soft in center but will harden as they
    cool). Remove from baking sheet; let cool completely on a wire rack.
    Yield: 24 biscotti.

Calories 96 (17% from fat); Fat 1.8g: Protein 2.2g: Carb 17.6; Iron 0.8mg;
    sodium 44mg; Calc 25 mg.

Talking Thanks!

I really appreciate this.

Jane

Originally posted by Paula H
    I store mine in my stomach!

Love that answer I tend to store biscotti, cookies and other things I want to keep crisp in a tin, just as JaneStarr mentioned. If I can't use them all within a few days, then in the freezer they go.

I made some pepperoni biscotti last week and had the same problem with them softening. I put them in a tupperware container long after they had cooled but had to re-crisp them to serve the next evening. Put the leftovers back in the container and they were soft again the next morning...I really didn't care for these room temp so it's not really an issue but this was the first time I had tried biscotti and figured the cheese might be the reason. Will now venture into the sweet ones!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I make biscotti all the time, BUT, my biscotti are made without any oil or butter.
    They are all recipes from CL!
    After the second baking, (and I turn my biscotti pieces over in the middle of the second baking) I put them on the rack to cool.
    Then I put them in large glass clasp jars, you know the kind with the metal closure. They stay crunchy until the last piece. I usually make a double batch, and give the sons one jar full! I will add one of my recipes (which I altered slightly)! Don't put these in plastic!
    PS. I think I doubled the original recipe! (when they are a keeper I usually do)

* Exported from MasterCook *

CAPUCCINO BISCOTTI

Recipe By :Cooking Light March '95 pg 128
    Serving Size : 60 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Biscotti Cookies
    Desserts Italian
    Low Fat

2 Cups Unbleached Flour
    1 Cup Sugar
    1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips -- any size
    1/3 Cup Walnuts -- Broken
    1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
    1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
    1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon

2 Teaspoons Instant Coffee Crystals
    2 Teaspoons Hot Water (or more)
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla
    2 Eggs
    1 Egg White
    Vegetable Cooking Spray

Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine coffee granules and hot water in a small bowl. Stir in vanilla and next 2 ingredients, and add to flour mixture, stirring until well-blended. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Shape dough into 4 long rolls.
    Place rolls on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and flatten rolls to 1-inch thickness. Bake at 325° (300° convection) for 30 minutes.
    Remove the rolls from the baking sheet to a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes. Cut the rolls diagonally into 30 (1/2-inch) slices, and place, cut sides down, on baking sheet.
    Bake for 10 minutes.
    Turn cookies over, and bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove cookies from the baking sheet, and let cool completely on wire rack.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 84 Calories; 2g Fat (22.5% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 71mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Added chocolate chips to the recipe with the nuts. It made a big hit!!!
    Curleytop

Thanks so much for all the tips everyone! Bea, thanks SO much for that Cappucino Biscotti recipe! I've been drooling since you mentioned it a few weeks ago!

I'm going to try to make either the Cappucino or the Almond Biscotti this evening, but Susan (sushibones) reminded me of another question. The recipe for the Toffee Biscotti says the dough should be crumbly, but Susan mentioned before that she had used her KA mixer so I decided to do the same. My dough was SO thick that I had to pry it off the paddle, but it wasn't crumbly at all! Very moist and almost 'gluey' it was so thick. They turned out pretty well so I'm thinking that it was OK in the long run, but was it the KA mixer that made it more thick and pasty than crumbly?

Tonight I'm grilling the Bourbon & Brown Sugar Flank Steak for dinner and if I've got time after dinner while DH is doing the dishes I'm going to try to whip one of these recipes up! Thanks again!

Finally - the CL recipe for Almond Biscotti!

Almond Biscotti
    [I skip the second baking]

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup slivered almonds, chopped and toasted
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Cmbine extracts, eggs and egg white; add to flour mixture, stirring until blended (dough will be dry).

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 7 times. Shape dough into a 16-inch-long roll. Place roll on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten to 1-inch thickness.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove roll from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.

Cut diagonally into 30 (1/2-inch slices. Places slices, cut sides down, on baking sheet.

Reduce oven temperature to 325°. bake cookies 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minuts (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)

Calories 72 (18% from fat); Fat 1.4g (sat 0.2g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.3g); Protein 1.7g; Carb 13.1g; Fiber 0.5g; Chol 14mg; Iron 0.5mg; Sodium 47mg; Calc 8mg

Jewel, I think when they were talking about the dough being crumbly (in the recipe), they meant before the dough was kneaded. The dough starts off crumbly in the mixer, but comes together if you continue to mix.

However, the threads talking about the dough being crumbly were saying they couldn't get the dough to come together. The advice given was just to keep kneading by hand and eventually it would hold together. It just seems easier to do this in the mixer.
    Susan

Originally posted by sushibones
    However, the threads talking about the dough being crumbly were saying they couldn't get the dough to come together. The advice given was just to keep kneading by hand and eventually it would hold together. It just seems easier to do this in the mixer.
    If my biscotti dough just won't come together, even with kneading, I add a tiny amount of water (starting with 1/4-1/2 teaspoon, sometimes even as little as wetting my fingers before kneading again) and work it again. It usually works!

Thanks Everyone For The Great Recipes

I love the cinnamon and the toffee biscotti but now I can't wait to try these others...perfect baking weather today too.

Thanks all...after reading this, I just had to go get one of the biscotti I made the other day and eat it! And I was trying so hard to be good

My favorite is Ginger Chocolate Chip Biscotti from November 1998. With ginger tea, it's heavenly!

Also, I find them exceptionally easy to make. I think the ingredients can be changed for a different cookie, but not the method. For example, instead of the chocolate chips and ginger, just add almonds, and almond extract instead of vanilla.
    Julie

Has CL ever had a chocolate biscotti recipe?? I've seen a couple of different ones that used chocolate chips, but I don't remember ever seeing a CHOCOLATE one. I've tried NON-CL chocolate biscotti recipes, but I haven't been impressed with them.

chocolate biscotti

Melman--I know you said you've tried non-CL chocolate biscotti and haven't been impressed--but let me offer you one I consider almost foolproof. This was originally from (I think) BA, but I've tweaked it a little--it is the recipe I always give people who've never made biscotti and who feel somewhat intimidated. I don't *think* I've posted this here before, but if this is a duplicate, my apologies. They really are wonderful--especially if you happen to have the double dutch dark cocoa from King Arthur.....mmmmmm

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE WALNUT BISCOTTI

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    (1 heaping tsp instant coffee, optional)
    3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 cup walnuts, chopped, toasted
    1/4 cup EACH dark, milk, and white chocolate chips
    1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. and butter and flour a large baking sheet.

In a bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined well. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.

On prepared baking sheet with floured hands form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool biscotti on baking sheet 5 minutes.

On a cutting board cut biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool biscotti on a rack.