Community Message Boards

Thread: cooking at 10,000 feet

Question cooking at 10,000 feet

i recently moved to Quito, Ecuador, which is at about 10,000 feet. i know there are differences with cooking at this altitude but i don't know what. can anyone tell me some basic rules about cooking/baking at this altitude?
    thanks!
    KAK

Wow--you're up there. I know that since moving to Colorado (my home is around 6000 feet) I've had to change cooking times and the amount of leavening agents a bit. I'd suggest looking at this high-altitude cooking guide by the Colorado Extension office.

I hope this helps!

I live at 9,000 feet and have found great differences in cooking. Rice for example takes 1/2 hour to cook at my altitude (and only some rices cook well). When baking I actually found turning my oven down 25 degrees and baking for the amount of time called for also works well. There is a great cookbook "Chocolate Snowball" and it gives excellent techniques for ingredient changes.

With breads I take out 1/4 t. of yeast for every t. called for and add a tablespoon more water.

Hope some of this helps.

Here are a couple of other sites with a lot of useful information on all kinds of foods.

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/altitude/

http://allrecipes.com/cb/kh/cake/altitude/default.asp

The first link looks like it only has 2 links; scroll down past the ad to find many more.

Good luck, and welcome to the board.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

I buy 'high altitude' flour and don't make any changes in my baking. (Although, maybe there were a few times I SHOULD have....) Just think of all the red blood cells you are producing though (it is fact that at higher altitudes, your body has to have more red blood cells to carry oxygen.... ) Sue

Re: cooking at 10,000 feet

Originally posted by KAK
    i recently moved to Quito, Ecuador, which is at about 10,000 feet.
    Wow! I thought this thread was going to be about airline food! I have nothing to add I'm sorry to say to the fine suggestions you've already gotten just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the board from someone else living in an extreme environment with it's own built in cooking challenges! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures there...must be a fascinating country. Why are you there if you don't mind my asking?
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Cool

thanks for all the suggestions!! i've been checking out the links and there is some great info. i tried making the dried pear and cardamom scones the other night. i only made three changes - i had to add water to make the dough come together, i had to substitue yogurt for the buttermilk because there is no buttermilk in ecuador and i used dried apricots instead of pears (again, no dried pears here). they came out pretty good.

it is a challenge to find some of the ingredients here and not much of anything is low-fat but it's an adventure. i can't complain too much since i have year-around tropical fruit.

oh yeah, you asked "why am i here" - my husband works for the peace corps and i work for the US embassy. it's a great country!!
    KAK

Talking

Thanks for all of the fast responses. I want to make this cake for my husband's birthday and would normally use a mix, but the recipes in CL were just too good. The University of Wyoming site was the best. It actually had adjustments for high altitude for everything, even angel food cake.

As far as overall high altitude cooking, we are at 5500 feet and the only things I adjust are cakes and bread. Bread is very tricky. Rice and pastas just need to cook a little longer.