Community Message Boards

Thread: 29 oz can of pumpkin = ?? cups real pumpkin

Question 29 oz can of pumpkin = ?? cups real pumpkin

Not to say the stuff in the can is not real, but I have some pumpkin that I bought at the farmers market last weekend and cooked on Wednesday night. My recipe calls for a 29 oz can of pumpkin but since I have a real pumpkin I am thinking that 8 oz is 1 cup and so 29 oz would be a little less than 4 cups. Is my math right??
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Your math is right, but your underlying assumption (that pumpkin and water have the same density) is not. You can't sub liquid volume for a known weight of a solid....for instance, a cup of flour is about 5 ounces.
    I think that the big can of pumpkin has about 2.5 cups in it. But that is just a guess....

1 cup of canned pumpkin is 245 grams, slightly above 8 1/2 ounces. In terms of volume measurement, 29 ounces would be closest to 3 1/3 cups.

I knew I wasn't thinking of the whole picture - thanks for the info!
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Well a 28 oz can of tomatoes is 3 cups. I was making something that called for a can of tomato puree and 3 cups os water. I added the water to the can to "rinse" it out and the 3 cups fit exactly. So, assuming that it is based on volume and not weight, then that same can of pumpkin is 3 cups.

By the way LaraW, would you mind sharing the recipe you're making! Or is it something you don't want WaraL to know about?

I'm making pumpkin butter. I'm listening to the first batch's lids "pop" as they seal. The jars for the 2nd batch are in the canner sterilizing right now.

Here's the recipe:

For 5- 1/2 pint jars

1 29 oz can pumpkin puree (btw, I used 3.5 cups - I found a different recipe that said a 15 oz can was 1 3/4 cups and since 2 cans would be pretty close to 29 oz, I just doubled the 1 3/4 C.)
    3/4 C apple cider
    1 1/2 C sugar
    2 tsp ginger
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmet
    1/2 tsp ground cloves

Combine everything in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or until thickened (this did not take 30 min)

Fill 1/2 pint jars to within 1/4 inch. Cover and process for 10 minutes.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I have a recipe that calls for 1-2/3 cups, and I think the large can just works for double that recipe. That would mean 3-1/3 cups, so I think we're all pretty close.

I was looking at the pumpkin butter recipe and thinking about making some too. How did yours turn out?

Originally posted by Beth
    I was looking at the pumpkin butter recipe and thinking about making some too. How did yours turn out?

It turned out great! I got 9 out of 10 jars to seal, so I consider it a success!

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Was that 2 batches, or does it make more than it indicates?

Nine out of ten sounds perfect -- you have one to enjoy without feeling guilty about opening it right away!

Actually, yes it was 2 batches. It does make exactly 5 1/2 pint jars.

Between 2 batches, I had less than 1/2 C left over.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)