Community Message Boards

Thread: Fish recipes for people who don't like fish

Fish recipes for people who don't like fish

Does anyone have any good fish recipes for people who don't like fish? My husband and I are both not seafood fans, but I really think we need to add fish into our diet a couple times a week to gain all of the benefits it has to offer. Any suggestions would be more than welcome, since I don't even know where to begin. I have no knowledge of fish and what kinds might be more appealing or even how to fix fish. I would love ideas!

Thanks,
    Jen

I don't like fish either so I keep trying recipes that I think make a believer out of me. If I can get this right (I hope) the following link will take you to a thread where someone posted a recipe for "Banana lime Mojo".....it was REALLY good. I used the frozen salmon pieces that you get at Costco which are pretty darn good and very convenient as they come individually wrapped and frozen. Here is the link.......good luck.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...nana+lime+mojo
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

My DH, who claims to hate fish, scarfed down the Tilapia with Coconut Curry sauce from 9/02!

Here's a link to a recipe for salmon. http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ghlight=salmon My sister doesn't like salmon, but did like this. It's my absoulute favorite fish recipe. I don't even try other salmon recipes anymore.

The CL recipe for oven fried fish sticks was excellent if you use a mild fish like tilapia or mahi mahi (maybe even cod). I have one other one that is excellent too and will post it later.

I am not a big fish eater either, and I love tilapia. I just add a couple tablespoons dijon mustard, lemon juice, melted butter, dill(dried or fresh), a teaspoon or so worteshire(spelling?), salt and pepper and mix together, pour over fish in a baking dish and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Really good.

Lisa

Here it is, the best recipe I've found for non-fish eaters - I hate/loathe/detest fish, but I really really like this one. It's from one of the Prevention cookbooks (the one on Mediterranean cooking I think - too lazy to walk over to my bookshelf and see). I give it to my students to try, and out of the last class there were four non-fish eaters, and they all really liked it and made it again several times.

And it's really easy to make as well - handling fish is pretty disgusting as far as I'm concerned...

Dijon Cod
    If you don't want to use cod, use any other fillet you want!

4 cod fillets (170 grams / 6 ounces each)
    3 tablespoons non-fat mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
    1/2 teaspoon dried dill
    2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
    1 teaspoon olive oil

Serves 4

Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).

Choose a baking dish large enough to hold the cod in a single layer. Coat the dish with cooking spray. Place the cod in the dish; turn under any thin ends so the fillets are an even thickness.

In a cup, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish and dill. Spread evenly over the cod. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Drizzle with the oil.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cod is cooked through.

per serving
    Calories: 225.5
    Fat: 3.1gm (0.5gm saturated)
    Calories from fat: 12.4%
    Carbohydrates: 5.1gm
    Protein: 41.8gm

If you can find absolutely fresh salmon, the recipe for Bourbon Salmon on the recipe finder is a real winner. I have found only three fish I will eat (salmon, mahi-mahi and tilapia), and those I can only eat if they are prepared within hours of being caught. The first time I made this, I picked up the salmon from Whole Foods about an hour before I made it. It was perfect!

Good luck. A fish aversion is a hard thing to break.

Dyanne

Cool

Jen,

It isn't just about the recipe or even necessarily the type of fish. First and foremost is going to be the freshness of the fish you select. (and if you live somewhere where fish is pretty limited to frozen, you're kind of at the mercy of the packager.) But, assuming you DO have the option of purchasing fresh from the counter, don't be embarrassed to ask to smell the fish before purchasing. Truly fresh fish shouldn't really smell fishy. That one factor alone can make or break whether you enjoy your selection.

There have been quite a few prior posts on the subject of selecting or preparing fish for non-fans of fish. Here are a few I've gotten from our search mechanism which may help you:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...highlight=fish
    http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?
    This last is more on the different methods--as opposed to recipes-- for cooking fish:
    s=fdb3979f7ecf5ed4efb52490a82797df&threadid=1944&h ighlight=fish

Good luck!

My DH was also loved the Tilapia w/ Coconut Curry Sauce from CL 9/02 and he is not typically fond of fish fillet as a main course. Tilapia is so mild so it's a good fish to try for those who don't like fishy taste. Of course, you have to enjoy hot/Thai for the Coconut Curry recipe.

these are the best!!! my DH, who doesn't like fish, called them AMAZING! perfect with halibut, orange roughy, tilapia, or basa (my new fav... only 3.99 everyday at my price chopper!) you can't go wrong with these!

Chili-Seasoned Fish Sticks

Cooking spray
    4 Tbl all-purpose flour
    2 Tbl yellow cornmeal
    1 1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 1/2 Tbl fresh lemon juice
    12 ounces firm white fish fillets, cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips

Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 500F. Spray small baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk flour, cornmeal, and chili powder in shallow dish to blend. Mix mayo and lemon juice in another shallow dish to blend. Sprinkle fish on all sides with salt and pepper. Dip fish into mayo mixture, then into flour mixture to coat completely. Arrange on prepared sheet and bake until coating is crisp and golden and fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Serves 2

(modified from bon appetit)

Nancy R. recommendations for the Banana Lime Mojo is a good one. My husband and I really liked this as well. Thanks for reminding me Nancy, I had forgotten about it!

Kim