Community Message Boards

Thread: What's YOUR favorite pumpkin pie recipe?

Arrow What's YOUR favorite pumpkin pie recipe?

Just thought I'd start a pumpkin pie thread. Here's the pumpkin pie I've been making for the past couple of years. My changes are at the bottom. Please share your favorite pumpkin pie recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PUMPKIN PIE WITH TOFFEE-WALNUT TOPPING

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cake or Pie , Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Crust:
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter -- (3/4 stick) cut
    into 1/2-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening -- cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons ice water -- (about)
    1 large egg yolk -- beaten to blend
    Filling:
    1 can pure pumpkin -- (15 ounce)
    2/3 cup golden brown sugar -- (packed)
    2/3 cup whipping cream
    1/3 cup whole milk
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 cup walnuts -- toasted, chopped
    1/3 cup English toffee bits (like Skor, etc.)

For crust: Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor. Add butter and shortening and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 2 tablespoons ice water; process using on/off turns until small moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dry. Gather dough into ball. Flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill 30 minutes.

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°F. Roll out dough on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch-diameter pie dish. Fold overhang under, forming high-standing rim. Crimp edges decoratively. Freeze 15 minutes. Brush crust all over with yolk. Bake until crust is set but still pale, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly.

For filling: Whisk first 12 ingredients in large bowl. Pour into crust. Bake until filling is set, about 55 minutes. Transfer to rack. Sprinkle nuts and toffee around edge of hot pie, forming border. Cool pie completely. (Can be made 6 hours ahead--I make it the night before and it's fine. Let stand at room temperature.)

Makes 8-10 servings

Bon Appétit
    November 2000

NOTES : Here are my changes...I just used 1 cup of half and half instead of 2/3 cup whipping cream and 1/3 cup whole milk, I used a different pie crust recipe (the one in my KA food processor manual), instead of 1/4 t. of nutmeg I used 1/2 t. ground mace (not sure if I needed to double and next time will use freshly grated nutmeg), I used a little less walnuts and next time will use 1/2 cup toffee bits and 1/3 cup toasted walnuts instead of the other way around.

Red face warning it's not light

...but it's yummy!!

Pumpkin Mousse Pie
    Chocolatier Archives
    Yield: 8 servings
    Difficulty:**
    Preparation: 1 1/2 hours plus baking, cooling and chilling times
    Gingersnap pecan crust:
    Vegetable oil, for pie plate
    1 1/4 cups finely crushed ginger snap cookies (about 24 cookies)
    3/4 cup pecans
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    Pumpkin mousse:
    3 tablespoons dark rum
    1 tablespoon water
    2 1/4 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch, spooned into a measuring cup and
    leveled with the straight edge of a knife
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 cups milk, used in two separate measurements
    2 large egg yolks
    1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin purée
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    Decoration:
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons dark rum
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon finely crushed ginger snap cookies
    Make the gingersnap pecan crust:
    1. Lightly coat the bottom and side of a 9-inch glass pie plate with oil.
    2. In a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, combine the gingersnap crumbs, pecans and sugar. Process for 5 to 10 seconds, until the mixture is finely ground. Add the melted butter to the cookie crumb mixture and pulse 3 to 6 times, until the mixture is crumbly.
    3. Scrape the mixture into the oiled pie plate. Using your fingers, press the crumbs firmly and evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the plate. Freeze the pie crust for 15 to 25 minutes, until firm.
    4. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
    5. Bake the chilled pie crust for 10 to 15 minutes, until the bottom of the crust bounces back when gently pressed with a finger. Do not overbake. The crust will become firm when cool. Let the crust cool on a wire rack while preparing the pumpkin mousse filling.
    Pumpkin mousse filling:
    1. Put the rum and water in a small heat proof cup. Sprinkle the gelatin over the surface of the mixture and let the gelatin soften for 5 minutes.
    2. In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Stir with a small wire whisk until blended. While continuing to stir slowly pour in 1/4 cup of the milk. Add the egg yolks and stir until blended. Stir in the remaining 1 3/4 cups milk.
    3. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture starts to bubble. Stop stirring and let the mixture boil for 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat. Immediately stir in the softened gelatin until completely dissolved. Stir in the pumpkin.
    4. Press the hot mixture through a fine-meshed sieve into a large noncorrosive bowl. Set the bowl with the hot mixture over a larger bowl of ice water. Stir for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mixture is cool and starts to thicken. Remove the bowl from the bowl of ice water. Stir in the vanilla.
    5. In a chilled large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer or wire whisk, whip the cream until soft mounds barely start to form and the cream is still pourable. Do not overwhip the cream.
    6. Using a rubber spatula, fold the whipped cream into the cool pumpkin mixture just until blended. Immediately scrape the mixture into the cooled pie crust. Smooth the top of the mousse with the back of a soup spoon.
    7. Refrigerate the pie for 3 to 4 hours, until set.
    Decorate the pie:
    In a chilled large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer or wire whisk, whip the cream with the sugar, rum and vanilla until stiff peaks start to form.
    Fill a pastry bag fitted with a closed star tip (such as Ateco #4) with the whipped cream. Pipe lines diagonally across the surface of the pie filling, about an inch apart. Pipe more lines on the diagonal to intersect the first, creating a lattice effect. Pipe a shell border around the edge of the pie. Sprinkle the piped lattice with ginger snap crumbs.
    Refrigerate until ready to serve.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

I like a very simple pie that showcases a few high-quality ingredients: fresh pumpkin, cream, eggs, and spices, served with a dollop of whipped cream. I never really cared for pumpkin pie until my sister, who grows her own pumpkins, made a pie from a pumpkin from her own garden -- PURE HEAVEN!!! Fresh pumpkin has a lighter, less pronounced pumpkin flavor than the canned, which is why I think I prefer it. I will have to call my sister for her recipe -- I'm not sure if I have it.

Claudia

This is my favorite...been making it for years

Ok, this recipe is from my oldest issue of CL November/December 1989

Maple Pumpkin Pie

1 cup sifted cake flour
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
    1/4 cup margarine, cut into small pieces and chilled
    2-3 tablespoons ice water
    1 1/2 cups mashed fresh pumpkin puree or mashed cooked pumpkin
    3/4 cup evaporated skimmed milk
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 eggs
    1 1/4 cups vanilla low-fat yogurt

Combine first 3 ingredients and 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal and is pale yellow (about 3 1/2 minutes). Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time over surface; toss with a fork until flour is moistened and mixture is crumbly (do not form a ball.)

Gently press mixture into a 4 inch circle on a sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and cover with another sheet of plastic wrap; chill 15 minutes. Roll dough, still covered, to a 13 inch circle; place in freezer 5 minutes or until wrap can be removed easily. Remove bottom sheet. Fit dough into a 9 inch pie plate; remove top sheet. Trim excess dough, and set aside. Fold edges under and flute; set aside.

Shape remaining dough into a ball and place between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; roll to 1/8 inch thickness, and freeze 5 minutes. Cut out 2 maple leaf-shaped pieces of dough; cover and freeze.

Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, pumpkin, and next 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until well blended. Pour into pastry shell; arrange maple leaves on top of filling. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Spread yogurt onto several thicknesses of paper towel; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into a bowl, using a rubber spatula; cover and chill. Serve with pie.

Yield: 10 servings (about 183 calories per wedge and 1 tablespoon yogurt)

Protein 5.1/Fat6.2/Carb 27.3/Cholesterol 57/Iron 0.7/Sodium 168/ Calcium 131.

Whew! My notes, I don't use cake flour, just all-purpose. The dough needs to be very well chilled or it will tear when you take the plastic wrap off. That's my only gripe with this recipe. I normally skip the yogurt. It's just supposed to take the place of whipped cream, but personally I think yogurt is gross! I just eat the pie plain, but with whipped cream or yogurt is good too. The best part is plucking a maple leaf off the tree out front so I can have nice pretty leaves for the top of the pie.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I use the Mori-nu recipe (sometimes without a crust if I want to save calories and it's just DH and myself).

It is sooooooooooooooooo good (and healthy )

Ingredients
    1 packages Mori-Nu Silken tofu (I use organic extra-firm)
    1 can pumpkin
    2/3cup sugar (can use more or less--depending on how sweet you prefer)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice or next 4 ingredients
    1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    3/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    1 unbaked 9" pastry crust

Method
    Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Blend tofu in a food processor or blender until creamy smooth. Add pumpkin, suar, vanilla and spices; blend well. Pour into a 9" unbaked deep dish pie shell. Bake approximately 15 minutes, then turn down to 350 and bake additional 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Cool and serve.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I simply adore this recipe. I found it on the BB last year, posted by Peeps. The bonus is that it's light, but there is absolutely no compromise on the flavor, since the gorgeous spices and the gingersnap crust add so much character. I made it 3 times last year during the holidays and I can't wait to make it again- no one believes that it's light!

POSTED BY PEEPS OCT 2001
    Here you go! I've made it many many times and its fantastic. I did find that I had better luck with it in a metal pan than in a glass pan - don't know why, that's just what I noticed. I usually use ground ginger if I don't have fresh and pumpkin pie spice for the 5-spice but I'll post it as written.

Ginger-Pumpkin Pie
    1 cup crushed gingersnaps (about 16 gingersnaps)
    3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
    1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
    2 teaspoons grated ginger root
    3/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup nonfat egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
    1 1/2 cups nonfat milk

Combine gingersnaps and 2 tablespoons sugar in bowl. Pat mixture onto bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate, lightly greased or sprayed with low-fat nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Combine pumpkin, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, ginger, 5-spice powder and salt in bowl until blended. Sitr in egg substitute until blended. Stir in milk. Carefully pour into prepared crust.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.

Makes 8 servings.

Each serving contains: 151 calories, 226 mg sodium, 5 mg cholesterol, 1 gram fat, 32 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams protein, 0.65 gram fiber

THANKS PEEPS
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Talking

I use the one straight off the Libby's pumpkin can

I make Peeps' Ginger-Pumpkin Pie too. It is the only pumpkin pie recipe I have ever tried but it is so good I haven't even looked for another.

Claire

Gee, guess which one I make? I was going to post that fabu gingersnap crust one again but KValley beat me to it - glad everyone's enjoying the recipe - I'm salivating already thinking of making it this year!

Another vote for the Libby's recipe.
    Andrea

I've been making this one form the contest on GMA back in 2000.

Pumpkin Praline Pie
    From Beth Ann Woodward

Ingredients for the Crust

1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 cup amd 1 tbsp shortening - or - 1/3 cup and 1 tbsp. lard
    2 to 2 1/2 tbsp. ice water (add the extra 1/2 tbsp if it is too dry)
    or store-bought refridgerated crust. Beth prefers Pillsbury

Directions

1. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F. and use a 9-inch deep dish-glass pie plate. (**If using a metal pie pan, increase temperature to 400 degrees.)

2. With pastry blender, cut shortening into dry ingredients until mixture resembles crumbs. (It will look like cornmeal. Add ice water (it must be very cold) one tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly. Dough should be just moist enough to hold together in a ball. Make sure it is not sticky. Form into ball and refrigerate until ready to use.

3. Place dough on lightly floured surface and flatten slightly. Roll into 10-inch circle, rolling from the center out. Lay the crust gently into 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate. Press into pan and crimp edges decoratively.

Ingredients for the Praline layer

1/2 cup pecan pieces
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    3 tbsp. softened butter

Ingredients for the Pumpkin Filling

2 large eggs
    3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp ground mace
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup evaporated milk

Directions

1. In food processor, add pecan pieces, dark brown sugar, and butter. Process until ingredients hold together like a paste, making sure the pecans are a fine "meal." Press very firmly into bottom only of the pie crust so it will not float up during baking.

2. In mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy with hand-mixer or standing mixer. Then with mixer on low, or stirring by hand, add in order the rest of the ingredients. Beat only until well mixed. Pour slowly into praline lined crust.

3. Bake in oven checking after 45 minutes. Cover edges of crust to prevent oven browning. Pie is done when filling is set but still slightly jiggly in center. Depending on oven 45-55 minutes total. Remove from oven and let cool on counter until room temperature. Chill in refrigerator.

4. Garnish with whipped cream and caramelized pecans, if desired. (*see recipe forc caremelized pecans below) Cut pie into eight servings and garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and 2 caramelized pecan halves.

Optional: Carmelized Pecans

16 nice pecan halves
    3 tbsp white granulated sugar

1. In a non-stick skillet, add pecan halves and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until sugar melts and begins to caramelize.

2. When pecans are nicely coated, remove from heat and cool.

Servings: 8

Copyright 2000, Beth Ann Woodward of Spring, Texas
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I usually like to try new pie recipes at Thanksgiving, however, my family will only let me make one pumpkin pie. It's the Ultimate Pumpkin Pie from Bon Appetit. (You can find it on the epicurious site although I've given the recipe here.) The good thing is that it is so easy. The crust can be a little tricky-it can end up sort of soft and floppy- so I recommend making your favorite pie crust. Just don't leave out the apricot preserves. They make the pie.

THE ULTIMATE PUMPKIN PIE

Pumpkin pie was introduced to the holiday table at the Pilgrim's second Thanksgiving in 1623. Decorate this American classic with some whipped cream, or serve the cream alongside.

Crust
    1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into pieces
    3 tablespoons whipping cream

Filling
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon packed golden brown sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt
    1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
    3/4 cup whipping cream
    1/2 cup sour cream
    3 large eggs, beaten to blend

1/4 cup apricot preserves

For crust:
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Blend first 3 ingredients in processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cream and process until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball, flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill 15 minutes.

Roll out dough on floured surface to 14-inch round. Transfer dough to a 9-inch (I find the Pyrex 9-inch deep dish works the best. Their regular pie dish just isn't deep enough) glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Fold overhang under. Make cut in crust edge at 1/2 inch intervals. Bend alternate edge pieces inward. Freeze 15 minutes.

Line crust with foil, pressing firmly. Bake until sides are set, about 10 minutes. Remove foil. Bake crust until pale brown, about 10 minutes more. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

Spread preserves over crust; pour in filling. Bake until filling puffs at edges and center is almost set, about 55 minutes. Cool on rack. Cover; chill until cold. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)

To Make the Filling:
    Using whisk, mix first 6 ingredients in bowl until no lumps remain. Blend in pumpkin, whipping cream, sour cream and eggs.

Serves 8.

Bon Appétit
    November 1993

Thanks guys! All these recipes look great! I have made the one sneezles posted and it was very good, but I discovered I'm not such a big fan of dark brown sugar.
    Any other favorites out there?

Have made this one for 30 years; BEFORE they told us absolutely, positively, no raw eggs in a recipe. I justify it by figuring the yolks are cooked, and the whites go into the cooked mixture before it's completely cool. I find those who don't like the "heaviness" of traditional pumpkin pie like this version.

DREAMY PUMPKIN PIE

1 graham cracker pie shell
    2 c. canned pumpkin
    3 eggs, separated
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 t. salt
    1 t. cinnamon
    1/2 t. nutmeg
    1 envelope plain (Knox) gelatin
    1/4 c. water
    1/4 c. sugar

In medium saucepan, cook pumpkin, egg yolks, sugar (1/2 c.), milk, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until thick. Dissolve gelatin in hot water and add to cooked mixture and cool. Beat 3 egg whites stiff and add sugar and fold in pumpkin mixture. Pour in pie shell. Top with whipped cream.
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

Linda in Mo- I made the PUMPKIN PIE WITH TOFFEE-WALNUT TOPPING

for Thanksgiving. It is really good. The toffee-walnut topping is so good I wished I covered the whole pie! I admit to buying store-bought crust but I had 2 pies to make yesterday which I had to fit in while my dd was napping and ds was at school.
    I think I'll go have another slice before going to bed.......Thanks for the recipe.
    Patty

Isn't it yummy?! My family loves that pie! I ate 2 pieces of it today.

Originally posted by Linda in MO
    I ate 2 pieces of it today.
    I had 3!
    Patty

I made this for Thanksgiving. It got raves from everyone--even those who are normally lukewarm about pumpkin pie. I didn't know if I'd make it again, because it gets a "few" dishes dirty, but it was so well received that it's on my list of keepers.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Silky Pumpkin Pie

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    15 ounces pumpkin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup evaporated milk
    2 large eggs
    2 egg yolk
    1 pie crust

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Line pie shell with a sheet of heavy-duty foil and fill with weights. Bake until fluting has lost its raw appearance and has started to turn golden, about 20 minutes. Remove foil, along with weights, and return pie to the oven until bottom of pie shell loses its raw appearance and starts to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from oven; reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.

While pie shell bakes, heat pumpkin, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice in a medium saucepan, stirring, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Add condenses and evaporated milks; cook until heated through. Puree eggs and yolks in a blender. With blender running, add a spoonful of the pumpkin filling at first, then add the rest quickly as eggs heat up; puree to form a silky-textured coating.

Pour warm filling into warm pie shell. Bake until a thin-bladed knife inserted near center of filling comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack until warm, room temperature, or cold. Serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 348 Calories; 15g Fat (38.7% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 126mg Cholesterol; 392mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : From CookSmart by Pam Anderson.

Doubling the recipe results in enough filling for three pies.
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!