Community Message Boards

Thread: What is light molasses?

Smile What is light molasses?

I don't know the difference when a recipe calls for light molasses. Will it say that on the label?

All I've ever seen is sulphured and unsulphured.

Help! I want to make that gingerbread cake recipe that was posted.

Jessica

I may be wrong, but I have always considered regular molasses to be light. There is one you don't see as often that says "dark."

Here's some info from foodsubs.com

molasses = treacle Pronunciation: muh-LASS-sis Equivalents: One cup = 8 ounces Notes: Sugar is made by extracting juice from sugar cane or sugar beets, boiling them, and then extracting the sugar crystals. Molasses is the thick, syrupy residue that's left behind in the vats. It has a sweet, distinctive flavor, and it's a traditional ingredient in such things as gingerbread, baked beans, rye bread, and shoofly pie. There are several different varieties. Light molasses = sweet molasses = mild molasses = Barbados molasses is taken from the first boiling. It's the sweetest and mildest, and is often used as a pancake syrup or a sweetener for beverages. Dark molasses = full molasses = full-flavored molasses is left behind after the juices are boiled a second time. It's less sweet but more flavorful than light molasses, and it's a good choice if a recipe simply calls for molasses. Blackstrap molasses comes from the third and final boiling. It's too strong and bitter for most recipes, and it's mostly consumed for its alleged nutritional benefits. Most of the molasses sold in supermarkets is unsulfured. Sulfured molasses has sulfur dioxide added as a preservative, and isn't as mild and sweet as unsulfured molasses. Food grade molasses is almost always made from sugar cane. Sugar beet molasses is very bitter and is mostly used as cattle feed or as a medium for growing yeast. When measuring molasses, grease the cup and utensils to keep molasses from sticking. If your molasses crystallizes while being stored, heat it gently to dissolve the crystals. After opening, you can store molasses in your cupboard. Substitutes: dark corn syrup OR maple syrup (works well in gingerbread cookies) OR honey OR barley malt syrup (weaker flavor; use 1/3 less) OR brown sugar (Substitute 1.5 cups brown sugar for every 1 cup molasses)
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I'm still confused. Maybe it would be easier if I asked what other people have used to make the gingerbread cake since it says light molasses in the recipe?

Thanks,
    Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I wasn't sure either so I just used Grandma's brand molasses in the jar with the green label. I figured since it wasn't labeled "dark" this was the one I wanted. it worked fine.

so just look for plain "molasses."

Val

editing...

that is what Beth said. basically what she said is that most molasses (or the plain molasses) on the grocery store shelves is light unless it is labeled otherwise.

Thank you Val!

I guess I was wrong, but I have only seen regular molasses (like Grandma's) and blackstrap, which is what I thought was dark. I'm sure the ordinary stuff would work just fine.

I use "light" molasses when making my Harvest Ginger Snap cookies. So far, I've made 4 batches! I always use Grandma's Molasses. The lable for the light molasses has recently been given a face lift. The label is still yellow but now says "Original" instead of light. Then there is the "dark" molasses with a green lablel. Finally, the "robust" also has a green label. My friend used the "robust" to make my gingersnap cookies and said they were not as sweet as when she used the original or light. She said on the label of the "robust" it says it is not as sweet as the others. I don't know if all this information is helpful, but I hope so.

Thanks. Now I know why I thought dark was light, light was dark or whatever. Anyone too confused to bake yet? Nah.

Light molasses? Sounds like an oxymoron to me - sort of like "economical Rolls Royce."
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Originally posted by Leonard
    I always use Grandma's Molasses. The lable for the light molasses has recently been given a face lift. The label is still yellow but now says "Original" instead of light. Then there is the "dark" molasses with a green lablel. Finally, the "robust" also has a green label.
    strange. my Grandma's molasses with a green label doesn't say "dark" or "robust." it just says molasses.

oops. I just checked again and it does say robust.

well, Jessica, if you already bought this then you will be fine because that is what I used. but if you didn't get it yet, I guess you should buy the stuff with the yellow label.

thanks, Patti.

According to Grandma's Molasses website, The only difference between the "gold" and "green" label or the "robust" is the amount of sugar extraction from the original sugarcane liquid. The gold is sweeter & milder. The green labels are heartier and more robust in flavor and not as sweet.