Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitution for heavy cream??

Substitution for heavy cream??

Does anyone have a suggestion for a substitution for heavy cream in a recipe? I attempted to make a very fattening Emeril Lagasse recipe lighter by using half and half in place of heavy cream and it was a disaster- curdled. The recipe is gnocchi with new orleans cream sauce. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Hmmm...my first thought was to use half-and-half. Unless I'm making actual whipped cream, I never use heavy cream, I use half-and-half instead and have never had a problem. I don't really know why half-and-half would curdle where cream wouldn't...maybe some of the wiser folk on the board will have some ideas!

Pray tell, what was the delectable recipe?
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I don't know if this helps or not, but I got it from the cooks thesaurus:
    heavy cream = heavy whipping cream (at least 36% fat) Substitutes: creme fraiche (for making cream sauces) OR 1 C heavy cream = C milk + 1/3 C butter (will not whip) OR light cream (will not whip) OR evaporated milk (especially in cream sauces) OR milk (will not whip; makes cream sauces much less flavorful) OR blend equal parts milk and cottage cheese (Warning: Substituting light cream or milk for heavy cream lowers the amount of fat in a dish, but it makes ice cream and sauces less rich and creamy.) OR pureed cottage cheese OR pureed ricotta cheese OR silken tofu (especially for ice cream--for directions, see the Tofu Ice Cream recipe posted by Veggie Unite!) Notes: Unlike heavy cream, lower-fat substitutes like half-and-half and evaporated milk tend to "break" or curdle when added to sauces. To prevent this from happening, heat the sauce over low or medium heat, or reduce the cream substitute before adding it to the sauce. Don't let the sauce boil. Cream sauces made with lower-fat cream substitutes also tend to have less body; to correct for that, consider adding 1 tablespoon flour or 2 teaspoons cornstarch to the sauce for every cup of evaporated milk substituted. Stir the thickener into a paste first to prevent lumps. Ultra-pasteurized whipping cream is harder to whip and has some unpleasant flavor notes.

here is what foodsubs.com has to say about heavy cream and about curdling when you use half and half.

heavy cream = heavy whipping cream (at least 36% fat) Substitutes: creme fraiche (for making cream sauces) OR 1 C heavy cream = C milk + 1/3 C butter (will not whip) OR light cream (will not whip) OR evaporated milk (especially in cream sauces) OR milk (will not whip; makes cream sauces much less flavorful) OR blend equal parts milk and cottage cheese (Warning: Substituting light cream or milk for heavy cream lowers the amount of fat in a dish, but it makes ice cream and sauces less rich and creamy.) Notes: Unlike heavy cream, lower-fat substitutes like half-and-half and evaporated milk tend to "break" or curdle when added to sauces. To prevent this from happening, heat the sauce over low or medium heat, or reduce the cream substitute before adding it to the sauce. Don't let the sauce boil. Cream sauces made with lower-fat cream substitutes also tend to have less body; to correct for that, consider adding 1 tablespoon flour or 2 teaspoons cornstarch to the sauce for every cup of evaporated milk substituted. Stir the thickener into a paste first to prevent lumps. Ultra-pasteurized whipping cream is harder to whip and has some unpleasant flavor notes.

tuff2000 and I were posting at the same time. I think the part that I bolded above is what you are looking for.

You learn something new every day!
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Thanks! I'll try the low heat setting next time...the recipe was out of Emeril's tv dinners book and a friend made it one night- when I went to make it, I almost had a heartattack, it calls for an entire quart of heavy cream (65 servings at 6g of fat each! Yikes!)
    I appreciate the suggestions.