Community Message Boards

Thread: other names for "eggs in a blanket"

other names for "eggs in a blanket"

TLee posted to the egg thread her love for Eggs in a Blanket, which she described as

"You cut a circle out of a piece of bread (I use a glass to do this), butter both sides, and then fry the bread with an egg cracked in the middle. (You also butter and fry the cut out piece)."

Now, this is interesting to me. When my husband and I got married, we both foung that we enjoyed this meal ourselves. But each of us had a different name for it. MY mother always called it One-Eyed Jacks. Paul's mom called it Toads in a Hole.

Do you have any OTHER names for this dish? Any fond memories to share?
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Is your husbands mother British? I've always ehard of "Toad in the hole' as a British treat, although I never knew exactly what it was.
    Elle

'Toad in the Hole' as I have always understood it is a yorkshire pudding batter with cooked sausages in it - and yes it is a British thing. Those other little cute things, I have always referred to 'Egg in the Hole'
    Elaine

My sister-in-law calls it "Eggs with Hats"!

My sister and I grew up calling them egg-with-a-hole-in-the-middle. I think my mom made that up. Now I realize it makes no sense and just have to smile.

dont' have any new names to offer, but figure i'd throw in the alternative vote....i've never heard of this dish! i guess my mom wasn't tapped into this trend :-)

Originally posted by AltoAtHart
    Is your husbands mother British? I've always ehard of "Toad in the hole' as a British treat, although I never knew exactly what it was.
    Elle
    Oddly, my husband's mother is FAR from being British

I've never asked her where she got that name from -- but I wonder if it stems from the British dish somehow. Like so many other things (chips, for instance) there always seems to be an interesting twist between British and American foods calle by similar names.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I think I've heard it called "Birds-in-a-nest" which makes sense, but I'd never call it that. We just call it "toast-with-a-hole-cut-out-and-an-egg-
    in-the-middle." That's because we're so creative.

Leightx

bird in a nest sounds familiar, but I'm thinking we called it egg in a basket?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I grew up on a farm and used to eat eggs any and every way, but I've never heard of this, much less had it.......

Very interesting!!!

My sister and I took an after school cooking class and this is one of the first things we learned to cook. We called it toad in a hole as well.

Eggs in a Frame, at my house.

We called them Hobo Eggs and it had 2 slices of bacon. Yummm!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

"eggs in a frame" -- THAT rings a bell too! My sister and I called them FRAMED EGGS for a long, long time!!
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I grew up calling them "Square Eggs", though I don't know why because the egg isn't square. But "Eggs in a Frame" also sounds familiar. For some reason, I always thought "Eggs in a Nest" used grated and fried potatoes.

However, I also have a memory of a distant, elderly relative once making me "Eggs in a Basket" for Easter. It was the basic concept of eggs cooked in bread, but somehow she decorated the whole thing with food coloring so that it looked like an easter basket. I was 6 or 7 at the time, and was so horrified by the dish that I had a meltdown, and it turned into a long afternoon.

Okay, now I'm a little freaked out that I have had this many encounters with eggs, starch, and cutesy names!

Out here we call sausages wrapped in pancakes served with syrup Pigs in a Blanket!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I've never eaten them, but I do remember my Better Homes and Gardens New Junior Cookbook had a recipe for Framed Eggs, which is just what you've described.

Now, Pigs in a Blanket was a hot dog and a piece of cheese (probably Velveeta ) laid diagonally on a piece of bread, two corners of the bread were brought up and attached to each other and the hot dog with toothpicks. Then the whole thing went into the oven until the cheese melted and the bread was toasted.

Mmmm gotta love kid food.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

My Mom used a greased custard cup with a piece of bread smooshed into it (like a nest), then broke the egg into that and baked the whole thing. Yum, yum. We called it "egg-a-bread" but I think that was a made up little kid name.
    Your version is also called "Egg in a Frame" in NW Indiana.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

I'm so excited that my post started this discussion. Usually I have nothing interesting to add to this BB!

(Yes, I know..get a life!!)

We called it "egg in toast" as opposed to the grownup version of "egg on toast". LOL not real creative here either LOL

Originally posted by lanie
    Those other little cute things, I have always referred to 'Egg in the Hole'
    We called them "egg in a hole" as well. They were a treat because Mom only made them when we were camping in the motor home.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Nancy's "egg-a-bread" rang a bell, because we always called French Toast "eggbread." Of course, we also call coffee cake "morning cake." Bunch of literalists around the house . . .
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

"Bird-in-a-nest" rings a bell. But I still keep thinking we had a different name. I just can't remember what it was. This is going to bug me. By the way, I love eating eggs this way.