Community Message Boards

Thread: How do I store homemade bread crumbs?...

How do I store homemade bread crumbs?...

I made bread crumbs with an extra loaf of Italian bread I didn't know what to do with. I've never made homemade bread crumbs before. How do I store them?
    Thanks for your input.
    Lisa

I toast them, let them cool, stick 'em in a ziplock bag and them freeze them. They last forever that way.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Mine are in the freezer, too!

I toast them and then put them in a small mason jar and seal with the FOODSAVER!
    Curleytop

Thanks, so do you toast them before you put them in the cuisinart or after? I let the bread dry out overnight and then put it into the cuisinart in pieces. I put them in the fridge last night. Can I just put them on a cookie sheet and toast them that way? So now it's already in the form of crumbs...
    Thanks again,
    Lisa

I usually grind my stale bread into crumbs in the food processor and freeze untoasted, then toast them as needed. Some recipes call for fresh breadcrumbs and others for toasted/dry breadcrumbs, so this way I can have either one from my freezer stash.

If you toast them before freezing, they will probably not retain their crisp texture when you defrost... though as I have never done it this way, I am not sure. Anyone else?