Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: November Pregnancy Thread

Smile November Pregnancy Thread

Hope no one minds that I'm jumping in to start November. Here's our list...hope I haven't missed anyone -- just give a yell if I have:

PJB - Early November
    Christinew - 11/8
    Cheryl - 11/12 - boy
    nealy - 11/28
    Jorgan - 11/29
    LisaP - 12/1
    Albus87 (Arta) - 1/18
    LosingIt - 2/3
    Angel - 2/11
    MelissaAS - 2/13
    Barrie - 2/23 - boy
    Susan - 3/8
    nmody (Nima) - 3/10
    Abby - 3/18
    brykate - 3/18
    KarenM - 3/22
    AmyJane - 4/4
    Tracey - 4/4
    Akairo (Tamara) - 4/12
    Lisa 4/25
    Heather - 5/10
    Trinity - 5/20
    Simple - ???
    AnnaSue - ???
    Nicole - ???
    Susan 7/4

My big news is that we had our U/S two weeks ago and it looks like we're having a boy!! I'd be happy either way, but it's exciting to know. Everything looks good and I'm approaching 19 weeks now.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Tracey

Congrats Tracey on your little boy!!! I am 20 weeks along and had my ultrasound today. It looks like we'll be having a little girl!!! That was secondary though to the feeling of knowing that everything looks good with her. She is measuring right on target with my due date. I'm assuming she's going to be a sassy thing after all of the heck she's put me through already with the morning sickness and all!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

-Grandma Moses

Thanks for starting the Nov. thread, Tracey! I can hardly believe it's November already. Hey - congrats on your little boy! It seems like there are so many more boys than girls being born lately, between coworkers and other friends who are pregnant, and the women in my baby class.

My little guy has been getting more active over the last couple of weeks. Mostly in the evenings, but I do feel a few kicks during the day too. The other night he was moving around quite a bit while I was laying flat on the floor, and I picked up my shirt and I could actually see my stomach move for the first time. What a sight that was! I called DH over to look at it and his first comment was "are you doing that?"!!! Nope, it wasn't me!

Hope everyone's feeling good. Have a great weekend!

Thanks too, Tracey, for starting the November thread. It's neat we have the same EDD of 4/4. I posted at the end of last month that we are having a BOY! Happy to hear about your little boy too! I don't know if it's true about how you carry with a boy vs. a girl, but I only show up front; with girls, they say you are round all over. Don't know if that's just an old wive's tale.

Barrie, how cool you saw your little boy moving around. I wonder when that's going to happen to me. I felt a very faint fluttering while going home from work yesterday, but I don't know if it was baby or my stomach rumbling.

I FINALLY broke the news to my boss this week (was nervous about it), and she was thrilled and supportive! Whew!! She announced it at our Halloween staff lunch, and everyone was surprised and happy for us also. I'm glad it's out in the open, and I've been hiding my pregnancy under loose sweaters. Now I feel like everyone is staring at my protruding belly!
    Amy

Tracey, I just can't believe you're almost halfway there. I bet you can't either!

I'm still in the "it's so early anything could happen" mode. Trying not to panic, but reading all these stories of miscarriages, baby stopped growing at 8 weeks, etc. I guess if it's going to happen, there isn't much I can do about it, but I'm trying to stay sane and not let those fears ruin the joy.

We have a few bedrooms upstairs that I'm going to start organizing. Tracey, I know you went through this! Stuff I'm going to put in boxes and throw up in the attic, etc. We have the room chosen for the nursery, now I just want to have all of the extra JUNK out of the way. I'm sure you've all been there!
    ~Susan

Coffee is god. Decaf is the anti-christ.

I just wanted to let you ladies know that Garrett decided to make an early appearance. He arrived on October 22, 2002. The info can be found at the thread titled And Here's....

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl! CONGRATULATIONS!!and welcome to the world Garrett!!

Congratulations on a good ultrasound Abby -- and on the news of your little girl!! It's funny what you said about her being a sassy little thing after all your morning sickness. I've heard from a few people that girls tend to cause the most morning sickness in pregnant moms. This is probably just an old wives tale, but I know that we're having a boy and I've had almost no morning sickness, and a few of my friends who had boys were the same way. Hmmm...maybe I should start a (very unscientific, of course ) poll on this idea?

Amy I'm so happy that your boss took the news well -- I know how nervous you were about telling her! It will be so nice for you to finally be able to talk about your pregnancy at work and to be able to wear clothes that aren't 2 sizes too big.

Barrie -- do you remember when you first felt your little boy kick? I can't wait for that feeling -- and how cool that you could actually see it too!

And oh yeah...I can definitely relate to the organizing craze Susan. How's it going? Feeling wooozy yet? And stop worrying (remember, I did enough for both of us ). I think tales of miscarriages are totally exaggerated. It's like the nightly news -- mostly all bad news, because for some sick reason that's what people tune into. But do they report on the thousands of "good" stories that happen everyday -- rarely. It's that way with pregnancies too -- you only hear the scary stories - but don't let it make you think that you're doomed -- you (and the baby) are fine!

Susan - I did a lot of worrying earlier in the pregnancy, too. Try not too read too many horror stories on the web or watch too many of those Baby Story shows where they are usually all about problem deliveries, etc. Those stories/shows really had me wigged out for a while.

Tracey - I am 21 weeks now and have been feeling the baby kick for about two weeks. I bet you'll start feeling it soon!

-Grandma Moses

Tracey - I'm 24 weeks and have felt the baby move for about 3 weeks, so you should be feeling something anytime. My dr. told me it's possible to feel something as early as 16 weeks, although I never did.

Susan - I'm with everyone else - try not to worry too much about miscarriage. I was positive I was going to miscarry (I had nothing to base that fear on, though) and was sure I was going to see spotting each time I went to the bathroom. And those numbers everyone throws at you can be scary if you pay too much attention to them. Just concentrate on taking care of yourself and eating right and you'll be fine!

Amy - that's so great that you finally felt your little guy move! It's such an amazing feeling. It's a definite reminder that there's someone in there!

Abby - yeah for a healthy girl!! Tryacey - yeah for a healthy boy!!
    Cheryl - congratulations that Garrettt is here!!

I was just talking to my girlfriend in Puerto Rico and boy! am I glad to live in the states!! .... She's 38 weeks right now and shared with me what she can expect at her Puerto Rican hospital when it's time to give birth. Are you ready?? ----- She HAS TO get an enema and be completely shaved ugh. There's several other things they do that are just a bit "behind the times" as far as we're concerned. They have modern technology but still have *ways* that are in the 70's. Nobody except DH in the room and that's only if he has his class participation slip. Mom doesn't get much control over her birthing. They're not conditioned to listening to the "patient" at all. And they wisk the baby away immediately to a nursery room and bottle feed sugar water to it. Lots of stuff we don't hear about much!!
    Whew! Thank you God that I can have so much control in my birthing because of where I live!
    Just something to think about, huh?

Katie

Gosh, it's so fun to hear about you guys who are just ahead of where I am - I love knowing what I have to look forward to! My favorite stories are when you felt the baby move for the first time - we'll be on vacation with my folks when I'm at 19 weeks and I know that would be so exciting for them (in some ways, it seems like it would be more exciting for them than us!!) if they got to experience the first kick in person (we live about 5 states away from each other).

I'm finally at 12 weeks, 1 day . . . and I thought I was supposed to be feeling better! I threw up for the first time yesterday morning, though I've been having plenty of morning queasiness all along. I know there are many gals who are a whole lot more sick than I, and so I'm not complaining about it - just think it's ironic that now of all times I'm actually getting sick.

We had a "big energy" weekend with my DH's birthday party - my mom and dad flew in to "crash the party"; we didn't know they were coming until they just showed up at the door. That was a sweet surprise!!! It's fun for them to be with our Texas friends, as they don't know them as well as the friends we had when we all lived in the same state.

Planning for the party took up a lot of my mental energy these last couple of weeks - whenever we entertain (fairly often) I just run through everything in my head over and over again in preparation. At least it all went well. And then, I took yesterday off from work and mom took me maternity clothes shopping (we went to Motherhood Maternity, skipped A Pea in the Pod) and I found some GREAT things. Now . . . I just have to wait to wear them! I think I'll wear them over Christmas whether I need to or not so that my grandma's can enjoy the pregnancy a little bit!

I've registered for some baby stuff at Eddie Bauer - did someone mention awhile back that they're getting out of the baby business? That's too bad, because Baby Bargains raved about their bedding. I was just reading about the danger of children being strangled if their sheets don't fit tight enough on the mattress, so no cheap sheets for us! Maybe we'll get the stuff as Christmas gifts; otherwise, I doubt they'll have these things for long.

Wow, Katie, that is awful for your friend. Yes, I am THANKFUL to be in the states. I haven't actually given delivery that much thought (yet) and I expect to be fairly middle of the road - but YIKES!

Amy - I'm SO glad the news at work went over well. It must be a relief to have everyone know now! (I wasn't that good at waiting; everyone's known for at least 2 weeks) Weren't you looking for a house? Any more news on that?

Susan - I was worried about miscarriage until about a day ago - no good reason to worry, of course, I just was. I hope things go as smoothly for you as they have here. Only 4 more weeks til you hit the safety zone!

Best wishes everyone,
    Trinity

Tracey and AmyJane- Congrats on the litte boys
    Abby- Congrats on the little girl
    Cheryl- Congrats to you and DH and welcome Garrett- what a great name
    Amy Jane- Glad to hear that things went well with your boss. I know having a supportive boss/coworkers has made it much more enjoyable for me at work
    Trinity- wow you have already registered for baby stuff, very impressive. DH and I went to look at some furniture last weekend when my mom and dad were in town but we are a long way from making any decisions. And as for the nausea, as my doctor put it, "Don't expect the morning sickness to just turn off like a light switch "
    Well I am at 14 weeks and despite some nauseau at night still I seem to have regained my energy. As a matter of fact I had my first workout last night with a personal trainer that specializes in prenatal health. She was great, but man what a shock to only be able to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes and be sweating like I used to after a full hour of aerobics. So slow and steadily I will get moving again
    DH and I are still contemplating the triple screen test, my appointment is two weeks away and we still go back and forth. But I think we are pretty much decided on not finding out the sex of the baby- we both think it will be great to be surprised and I think not matter boy or girl, if DH has his way the baby will be going home in a New York Yankees onsie
    Hope everyone has a great week and glad to hear everyone is doing well.
    Heather

Ohhhhh, girls!!!!!!! I think I am going to be in trouble at my next ob appt. next week....

I can't stay out of my dds Halloween candy!!!! Help!!

I am not usually a big sweets eater but for the past couple weeks, the sweets have been calling me. I think I better get this candy out the house tomorrow or else!

Anyone else struggling with food cravings???

~Susan~
    edd 3/8 with #3

cheryl - congrats on the birth of your little one! i really like the name garrett.

tracey, amyjane and abby - wow, it must be soo exciting to find out the sex. we have decided that we want to do that as well! both dh and i are terrible at keeping secrets, plus we figure it will help with some of the planning.

we had our 8 week appointment yesterday and got to see the heartbeat - which was absolutely amazing!! we were very concerned, because about two weeks ago i had some bleeding. when i went to the dr, i was scanned. but, she couldnt see the heartbeat at all - only what she was worried might be a collapsed gestational sac. so we had a really long two weeks of waiting - i guess to teach us a lesson about patience! at any rate, our dr. said everything looked wonderful yesterday, and that there was a good strong heartbeat! she also said, that although anything of course can always happen, that after they see the heartbeat, a chance of miscarriage is very slim. so, our due date is june 13, 2003!

i havent really had any cravings yet. but i have been having a lot of nausea and i am exhausted. i even feel the need to nap around lunchtime at work!! how did you all deal with this?

i actually already told my boss that i am pregnant. as a result of the scare that we had two weeks ago, i had to miss a few days at work. he has been very supportive - he is a great boss and a recent new dad himself.

hope everyone else is doing well. i am soo excited to finally be a part of this thread!

nicole
    EDD june 13, 2003, 1st child

LOL, Susan! If you need to, go ahead and dump all that candy in the trash and cover it with dish soap (no digging it out later!). I had to laugh, though, because I have had cheesecake for lunch two days this past week. I'm not too crazy about sweets in general, but I have been trying really hard to avoid refined sugar since becoming pregnant - and I think I might have deprived myself a little too much. Anyway, I dove into that Central Market cheesecake like the world depended on it (and it was soo yummy). Now, back to watching my sugar intake. Oh, and we were out late on Halloween, so I don't have the temptation of leftover candy or else I KNOW that would be a downfall.

Nicole - I know just what you mean about that lunchtime exhaustion. I have been bringing my lunch to work, eating early at my desk, and then during my lunch hour, shutting my door and sleeping. And I don't even have a couch . . . just two somewhat comfortable chairs that allow me to put my feet up. It doesn't matter how (un)comfortable it might be - I can sleep ANYWHERE right now. My only fear is not waking up when my lunch is over, but that hasn't happened (yet) . Also, congrats on seeing the heartbeat!! Isn't that the greatest?

That said, I'm feeling great today, not even that tired. Maybe the exhaustion is beginning to go away? My next appointment is Monday morning and we're looking forward to it. My DH really does not want to find out gender before we have the baby (I'm such a planner, but am trying to be open to the idea) because he just loves surprises. I have no idea what we'll decide!

Hope everyone's feeling healthy . . .
    Trinity

Originally posted by Trinity
    I have been bringing my lunch to work, eating early at my desk, and then during my lunch hour, shutting my door and sleeping. And I don't even have a couch . . . just two somewhat comfortable chairs that allow me to put my feet up. It doesn't matter how (un)comfortable it might be - I can sleep ANYWHERE right now. My only fear is not waking up when my lunch is over, but that hasn't happened (yet)

Trinity
    Haha! I love this. I used to do this occasionally at the last job I had even though I wasn't pregnant. Just sleepy! Noone seemed to mind, and I definitely was better off the rest of my day. Now my husband and I own our own business and when we moved into our office, he decided to put a little cot in a back storage room. He said he would do his best thinking back there. Little did he know I would be commandeering it for afternoon naps!

Congrats all on the good news received so far this month. And esp, Cheryl congrats on the arrival of Garrett.

I'll be at 16 weeks tomorrow. My husband this morning told me I was starting to show! He said my tummy definitely had a different shape. Pretty cool.

Happy Thursday all!

Lisa

Any Prenatal Chiropractic or Massage Experience?

I am having some real back pain over the past two weeks, mostly on one side in the middle of my back. Basically gets progressively worse through the day- prolonged sitting is the biggest problem. Has anyone had any experience with pregnancy chiropractic or massage services? Any advice? It's almost time for me to take some kind of action here...

Katie- Holy cow! I am swimming in gratitude for my midwife and birthing center now!

Trinity- Yes, we're the ones who got furniture and bedding from Eddie Bauer. Their stuff is so cutie! It is too bad that they're going out of the business...but they did mention that Crate and Barrel is coming into the baby/kids business so that's something to look forward to...

Nicole- Congratulations and welcome!

Susan- I have been much more into the candy this year than ever before and have been avoiding the scale- I finally got on this morning and made my husband look. Iíve gained about 12lb. so far (at 26w) so I canít complain but I have been feeling HEAVY.

Have a great day everyone!
    Melissa

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the candy issues! So far, I have been VERY GOOD today and haven't touched it. I ate a good filling lunch (Bree's Lentil soup, leftover quiche, 2 corn muffins, and milk) so I am hoping it will help me get through the afternoon without succombing. Must go refill the ole water glass...

Melissa~ I haven't experienced extreme back pain but have had some mild-moderate pain. Usually I try to lie on my side when it gets bad which seems to help. You might want to try some regular Tylenol or ask your ob for advice. Sorry I'm not more help.

Trinity~ You just had to mention cheesecake didn't you? I had the best piece this past weekend at TGI Friday's: vanilla bean cheesecake-YUM!!!! I tried to convince my dh that we should get a piece to take home with us too-no luck! I've been dreaming about that cheesecake ever since!

~Susan~

I got a couple of massages - 1 about one week before I was due. I definately recommend getting them. It's so worth it.

Hello, all! It's great to read that everyone's doing well and in great spirits.

Tracey & Trinity - Thanks for sharing in my relief and joy about breaking the news to my boss and co-workers! I can talk about the baby openly, when I had to be so secretive before. Now everyone is eager to give me advice on labor, parenting, nutrition, etc.!

Heather - Thanks for your congrats! Yes, it's quite neat to know we're having a healthy boy, but it's even more awesome when I look at the u/s picture hanging on our bedroom wall. We can't wait to see and hold our little one!

Tracey - How cool that we're due the same day and having boys! For those of you wanting to be surprised like Nicole, I think that's great! Being a meeting planner for a living, I naturally want to plan for this baby. Both DH were anxious to know. Funny how when I was younger, I wanted to be surprised ... how things change.

Susan - I was really liked candy before I was pregnant, but then the craving went away. It's slowing coming back (darn it!). I don't eat chocolate and hard candy nearly as much as I used to, so that's good. I craved red meat in my first tri, and I'm not a red meat eater! Btw, if you like cheesecake, you would love this place in San Fran called Zanze's that makes the most delicious, light, fluffy cheesecake. I don't like cheesecake b/c it's too rich, but this is incredible stuff!

Barrie - I'm not sure if I really felt the baby move or if it was my stomach rumbling. I haven't felt anything since, so maybe that was a real movement. I'm sure I'll feel something soon, as I'm reaching my 19th week. It must be thrilling for you to feel those little jabs and kicks!

Trinity & Nicole - Believe us, that exhaustion will go away once you hit the 2nd tri! I couldn't believe how much my energy level picked up. I used to get tired walking up stairs in my first tri, even though I've always been fit. Trinity, I admire you having the energy to throw that big party for your DH!

Lisa - how neat to be pooching finally. I can't hide my pregnancy anymore, and my DH thinks it's really sexy -- esp. my breasts! Trinity, it's great you found some maternity clothes and can't wait to wear them. My friend Doris gave me three bags of her clothes, mostly from Japanese Weekend (very chic stuff), so I'm psyched! I did order some pants from BabyStyle.com, and they seem to be comfy and good quality. DH and I are going to Palm Springs over this coming long weekend and will hit the outlets, including Mimi Maternity, on the way there -- I can't wait to do some damage!

Stay well, everyone, and enjoy the weekend!

Amy
    EDD 4/4/03
    Amy

Originally posted by Trinity

Nicole - I know just what you mean about that lunchtime exhaustion. I have been bringing my lunch to work, eating early at my desk, and then during my lunch hour, shutting my door and sleeping. And I don't even have a couch . . . just two somewhat comfortable chairs that allow me to put my feet up. It doesn't matter how (un)comfortable it might be - I can sleep ANYWHERE right now. My only fear is not waking up when my lunch is over, but that hasn't happened (yet) . Also, congrats on seeing the heartbeat!! Isn't that the greatest?
    trinity, i just had to laugh when i read this - you were saying you dont even have a couch. i dont even have a door!! i work for the smithsonian where office space is very limited - as most of our buildings are public spaces. i have a little cubicle with barely enough room for a small child, let alone an adult. fortunately i have high cube walls and a very noisy heater than can drown out any snoring sounds! like you though, i have been putting my feet up and closing my eyes for a bit in the middle of the day. i bet you are looking forward to the energy returning as well!

amyjane - i am glad to hear the exhaustion goes away. i am ready for those days. normally DH and i take a long walk after work, and i have been too tired for that. i am anxious to get back into exercising. oh, actually we do want to find out the sex, if possible. like you, i am a planner (although not professionally) - so i want to plan as much as i can.

i hope everyone has a great weekend. monday is a holiday for us, so i am looking forward to the long weekend!

Originally posted by AmyJane
    Trinity & Nicole - Believe us, that exhaustion will go away once you hit the 2nd tri! I couldn't believe how much my energy level picked up. I used to get tired walking up stairs in my first tri, even though I've always been fit. Trinity, I admire you having the energy to throw that big party for your DH!

Well, nobody has told my body that I'm not supposed to be exhausted anymore! I'm approaching my 22nd week and am still so tired when I get home after work. I slept through CSI and half of ER last night! However, I am more energetic during the day. I luckily live close enough to home that I can go home at lunch, and I don't have to take power naps at lunch like I had to during the first trimester.

Lisa - how neat to be pooching finally. I can't hide my pregnancy anymore, and my DH thinks it's really sexy -- esp. my breasts! [/QUOTE]

Boy, I have really started pooching in the last couple of weeks. I was showing a little bit before then, but I can tell that I'm getting bigger and bigger everyday! I'm about to have to say goodbye to an old friend, my belly button! My husband and I check on my belly button's progress everyday!

What is it with the cheesecake??? I was flipping through a Southern Living holiday mag. last weekend and came across one of those real quick Philadelphia Cream Cheese recipes (that they place in their ads) for Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake. I had to make it!!! Hey, at least I subbed two lowfat and one fatfree cream cheese package for the three full fat that it called for! It was very good snack for the week, and I get a little calcium from the cream cheese and great nutrients from the pumpkin, right???

Have any of you bought any furniture yet? I think I've narrowed down the crib that I want. After Melissa talked about the crib she got from Eddie Bauer, I've narrowed it down to that one (the one with the beadboard) and the "Lauren" crib from Babystyle.com. Time to get busy decorating for my little girl!!!

Have a great, feel good weekend, everyone!

-Grandma Moses

I can't hide my pregnancy anymore, and my DH thinks it's really sexy -- esp. my breasts! [/QUOTE]

That is so funny! I'm only at 12 weeks, so no real pooching yet, but my breasts have um, done their fair share of growing so far. My mother (who at her heaviest weight in her life was maybe 115 pounds) was a size E cup when she was nursing me. YIKES!!! DH thinks it's fun - but they HURT!!!

Have any of you bought any furniture yet? [/QUOTE]

Well, no. It's still early for us, but I have given it a lot of consideration. After reading parts of Baby Bargains (which I am finding really helpful) we've decided that the only major piece of furniture we need to buy is a crib. We have an old but nice armoir (from when I was a kid, but it's Ethan Allen so it's held up well) and a child's desk that we'll use for a changing table, and a rocking chair that I got off ebay a year ago. We'll still need other stuff - like a diaper pail, toy chest, and whatever else there is you need, but that's all stuff you don't need to specially order most times.

One thing the BB book said that made a lot of sense to me is that babies don't know and don't care if they have the most stylish nursery - and since we're not in a financial position to go to town on this right now, this made me feel much better. (I'm not criticizing those who are or who want to go all out with nursery decor AT ALL - just not an option for us, as DH is probably going back to grad school next fall . . . that will be interesting).

Anyway, I think I'll just wait until the baby is a little older and has their own opinions on what they like to do much decorating. My mom did my nursery in orange (I know, I know - it was the 70's!) and then I wanted everything to be purple as soon as I was old enough to talk. So we're doing just the basics (in buttermilk yellow and brick red - same colors as the rest of our decor) and will leave the fun stuff til later. I know most of you guys are probably more settled in careers, etc., so I look forward to hearing about YOUR nursery selections - you'll have to let me live vicariously through you!!

Oh and one more thing. Our favorite girls' name so far is/was Emma, and I just learned yesterday that the baby on Friends is named Emma - do you think that there will be a lot of people naming their babies that as a result?!? I don't want to give our baby the most common name of 2003, but I LOVE that name. Oh well - maybe we'll have a boy and it won't even be an issue.

Gotta run to lunch now - I'm miraculously NOT tired today and will enjoy doing something else. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Trinity

What is it with the cheesecake??? I was flipping through a Southern Living holiday mag. last weekend and came across one of those real quick Philadelphia Cream Cheese recipes (that they place in their ads) for Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake. I had to make it!!! Hey, at least I subbed two lowfat and one fatfree cream cheese package for the three full fat that it called for! It was very good snack for the week, and I get a little calcium from the cream cheese and great nutrients from the pumpkin, right???

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!! And for giving me more ideas . . .

Maybe I'll have to bake a cheesecake this weekend . . . I could use the calcium and pumpkin nutrient excuse, too!

Originally posted by AmyJane
    . . . Both DH were anxious to know. . . .
    ok, Amy, time to fess up, how many husbands do you have?! (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Abby, we're ordering our furniture tomorrow. We got a postcard in the mail from USA Baby yesterday (which is where we looked at furniture a couple weeks ago) and they're having a huge one-day sale tomorrow with everything in their store, including all special orders from their catalogs, for up to 70% off. Of course, I'm sure the 70% off is on discontinued or floor sample merchandise, but we'll still end up getting the pieces we decided on cheaper than we would have a couple weeks ago. We're also very, very fortunate that DH's parents are buying the nursery furniture for us as a shower gift. After we first went shopping for the furniture, we were in sticker shock for a good day or two afterwards. That stuff is unbelievably expensive. I know that USA Baby is a national chain, so you may want to check out whether there's a store near you and, if there is, whether they're having the same sale that the store out here is having tomorrow.

Trinity - funny about the cheesecake thing - I've been totally craving cheesecake too. I'm going to make a pumpkin one to bring to the in-laws' for Thanksgiving dinner so I have to hold out for a few more weeks. Abby, you have a lot of willpower to make a cheesecake and have it last in your fridge for a week! Give me the springform pan, a fork and a glass of milk and I call that dinner!

Call me crazy, but we're having a huge housewarming party next Sunday. We've already sent out 70 invitations and we still have to invite the neighbors, so we could end up with as many as 120 people. I've been making lists up the wazoo trying to stay organized, and I'll probably spend a good part of this weekend (like last weekend) in the kitchen baking and freezing for the party. I'm so glad I have the energy to do it all - I don't know what I'd do if we had attempted this sort of thing in my first tri. I'm doing just about all the cooking/baking myself except for a few convenience things (like meatballs and veggie trays from Costco), and we're doing burgers and hot dogs on the grill, which DH is in charge of. Still, it's a lot of work and I'm beginning to panic just a little thinking about how much I still have to do with only 9 days to go. Wish me luck!

Glad to hear everyone's doing good. Have a great weekend ladies!

Trinity,

Hi, I am delurking because I was thinking the same thing about the name Emma. I wouldn't be surprised if there are tons of Emma's this year for that very reason. When I had my son, Legends of the Fall was at theatre's and it was Brad Pitt, his character's name was Tristan. I didn't think anyone else would notice. Wrong!!!! That is my son's middle name and I know more Tristan's who are 6 & 7 years old now that I care to admit. I was a little discouraged.

But I will tell you what my husband and I were thinking of. Emerlin. I know it is strange, but we kind of like it and were thinking of Emmy for a nick name. We are not set on it considering I am still NOT pregnant, but thought I would share it with you.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Sorry to hear you aren't joining this thread yet. Hope its soon! I like the name Emerlin too. We have good friends with a son named Emlin. It looks strange spelled, but it has a very nice sound when you say it. For names, we are thinking more traditional. You might even say downright old-fashioned. Its funny, so far our favorite boys name we rejected because we realized it was the same name as that obnoxious guy on Seinfield (sorry if there are any fans out there ). So no Jason Alexander. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Lisa

Trinity: I love the name Emma and was NOT happy when I found out Rachel on Friends named her daughter that. Emma is my grandmother's name and I had it in the back of my mind that it would be a wonderful name for our little girl. Of course, my husband doesn't like the name (he says it's too old fashioned), so when I decided it was too faddish, it averted a conflict in the house.

However, picking a name is difficult. After Emma, we transitioned to Kristin (after my mother's sister, who died at a young age a few years ago). Unfortunately, we made the mistake of telling people our choice and started getting entirely too much unsolicited advice on middle names, variations of Kristin, nick names etc. The interference is coming from my mother's family, not DH's, so I think I underestimated the emotional baggage the name would have (because my aunt died so young and so suddenly). Because of all the family emotions swirling about, I think we've pretty much abandoned Kristin and are now thinking of Chloe. But, we aren't going to let any relatives know until the name is on the birth certificate! We've definitely learned our lesson on that one.

We finally purchased baby furniture! It should be ready for pickup within the next week or so. We opted for the Babi Italia "Picket Fences" line from Babies R Us. It's actually pretty versatile. The crib transitions to a toddler bed and then a headboard for a full size bed. The dresser/changing table combo unit transitions to a dresser/nightstand (with the additional purchase of legs for the nightstand of course!). So, our little girl should be able to use the furniture for quite a while.

The only question now is whether or not to get a glider rocking chair. I think they are UGLY, however, they are comfortable and I imagine it will be helpful for those middle of the night feedings (and soothings, etc.) However, I really do think they are ugly and can't imagine moving it into the living room or anything once we don't need it in the baby's room. They are also pretty expensive - anywhere from $250-$500 depending on the wood, etc. Does anyone have any advice on whether they are worth the investment? WalMart has a really inexpensive one (less than $100) that I was thinking about trying out but I'm afraid it will be really cheap and we'll then have to break down and buy a more expensive one. Does anyone have any experience with the WalMart version? A regular rocking chair isn't an option because they make me nauseated. I do know a chair will be required though, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

arta

I'm glad you brought up the issue of gliders, Arta. I totally agree with you on them -- I've always thought they're kind of ugly. However, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need/want some kind of rocking chair and everyone is telling me that gliders are much better than regular rocking chairs. I finally sat in one a few weeks ago and was amazed at how comfortable it was. I think that I would prefer one of these to a regular rocker, but it may take awhile to find one that I like the looks of. The price really gets me too -- that's alot of money on top of everything else we have to buy. Can any of you mom's with experience share your thoughts on rockers and/or gliders? Do you think that we'll really want one, or did you manage just fine without one? Also...what about preferences -- rocker or glider? And anything in particular to look for or watch out for with them?

We've also pretty much decided to stop sharing names with people. We have a bunch of reasons for this. First of all, we're having trouble finding more than a handful of names that we like anyway. Then...once we do start sharing, everyone starts throwing in their opinion, adding middle names, etc. and then those few precious names end up getting tossed out the window. Also, I really don't want anyone using whatever name we choose until after the baby is born. I don't know why this bothers me, but I really don't want anyone saying "oh, how's ___ doing today? Is he giving you any trouble?" while I'm still pregnant. Maybe because, to me, it seems that this will make his actual arrival into the world seem sort of anticlimatic. And finally, there's a part of me that thinks we shouldn't make any firm decisions until we actually see him and see what he looks like. I think we'll probably go to the hospital with a list of 3-5 names and decide once we see him -- and until then, no more previews of names.

Barrie -- I'm so impressed that you are throwing such a big party!! I briefly thought about having a Christmas party, but then decided that I just wasn't up to it. Let us know how it goes.

Had my 20-week check-up yesterday. Everything seems good. The heartbeat is around 150, my blood pressure is good, and I've gained about 5 pounds since the very beginning. I'm curious to see how much I gain in the next month though since my appetite seems to be kicking into overdrive. Before this week I felt like I was eating pretty much what I normally ate. But now...I just seem to be so much more hungry. I'll eat something and then a half hour later I'm hungry again. Have any of you ever experienced this, and when during your pregnancy did you notice it?

Tracey

Here's my rocker/glider advice: DH was trying to find me a glider before DD was born. He looked in JC Penny and found a chair made by Lane that is a recliner/glider. It's not a peice of nursery furniture so when we're done with it in the baby's room, it's going into the livingroom. We love it. It doesn't have any exposed parts so there won't be any pinched fingers. Yes, it was a bit expensive. He bought it on sale and it wasn't much more than an expensive glider. However, we look at it as a peice of livingroom furniture. It's all fabric and looks like a regular recliner only it glides and it's sooooooo comfortable. Both my sister and my sister in law had regular gliders. Once their babies got older, they got rid of them becuase they didn't seem to have a place. We love the recliner on the chair, too. There have been many nights when one of us ended up sleeping in that chair due to teething or sickness. That's my 2 cents on the issue. I'm very happy with our decision. Never regretted it for a minute.

I have to agree with the names issue, too. Everyone always asks what name you have chosen. DH and I didn't really choose a name until we got to the hospital. We had plenty of possible names, but nothing definite. I could not agree more that when you start talking about names, everyone has to give you their opinion. I hate that! It's nobody's business but yours. We were thinking of Jake, not Jacob, just Jake. DH's sister said she thought that was great "Jacob Joseph". Where'd Joseph come from? That's her son's middle name. Well, we surprised everyone when we went with Brenden. Ha! We didn't tell anyone about that name! Let it be a surprise. Once the baby is here and you tell people what the name is, you'll notice that there aren't any comments at all.
    Last edited by MrsReber; 11-12-2002 at 01:04 PM.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?