Community Message Boards

Thread: Mayonnaise Substitutes

Question Mayonnaise Substitutes

I have recently become extremely sensitive to dishes that contain mayonnaise - any suggestions for substitutes? Thanks!

You might try plain nonfat yogurt or lowfat or fatfree sourcream. You might experiment with adding lemon juice or flavorings to them also.

I don't know if you're interested, but I have a recipe from my Moosewood Cookbooks for faux-mayonaisse that uses tofu. Also, have you tried fat free Mayo? I never use the real stuff, and it's really not mayonaisse at all, so it might not bother you.

How about Sayonaise? It's a soy-mayonaise substitute. I use it in a lot of recipes. They have it at Trader Joe's, if there is one in your area.

Caroline

There are plenty of soy or sfflower mayos available at health food stores, or you can make a really thick ranch dressing.

Emilycat:
    Would you please post your recipe for the tofu mayo? I generally use fat free yogurt in place of mayo, but would love to try the tofu version.

Thanks.

Cheryl

Here you are, Cheryl!

Tofu (Somewhat Real) Mayonnaise:

1 packed cup mashed tofu (firm or silken)
    1 small clove garlic
    1 t. good-quality prepared mustard
    2 t. cider vinegar
    1/4 to 1/2 t. salt
    1/4 c. olive oil (I would imagine it would be fine to use less)

1) Place everything except the oil in a blender or food processor. Process until very smooth.

2) Keep the machine running as you drizzle in the oil. When all the oil is incorporated, turn off the machine. Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate.

~Variations~

*Green Mayo: Add a handful each of chopped parsley and chives to step 1.

*Sesame Mayo: Substitute a few tablespoons of the oil with Chinese sesame oil

Here is Mock mayonnaise from Great Recipes for Good Health Its low sugar & low sodium
    1 tab cornstarch
    1 c cold water
    2 tab olive oil
    2 tab white vinegar
    2 tab plain low fat yogurt
    1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
    1/2 tsp prepared horseradish
    Place cornstarch in small saucepan, whisk in the water and set pan over med heat. Cook stirring constantly until mix comes to a boil. Let boil 1-2 mins until mix is clear. Remove from heat and transfer to small bowl
    Whisk in olive oil, vinegar, yogurt, mustard and horseradish. Store tightly covered in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Makes 1 cup
    Note: If you wish add 1 tab low sodium ketchup and a dash of hot sauce

Emilycat & Vanessa:

Thanks so much for posting the mayo substitutes. After throwing out many jars of mayo because they molded, I finally just quit buying it. It will be great to have some alternatives to use.

Cheryl