Community Message Boards

Thread: Would you use raw pumpkin in a bread recipe?

Would you use raw pumpkin in a bread recipe?

I love making carrot cake and I've been thinking about using RAW pumpkin to make a pumpkin bread using the carrot cake recipe.

I'm not too fond of the cooked carrot or squash breads. I like the slivers of carrot in the bread. So, I figured I'd try it with raw pumpkin.

Whatcha think?

The mind knows what the heart enjoys.

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my cuisine."

Across the street from Normal
    I've made this recipe from that uses shredded raw pumpkin and they are quite good.

Rochester NY area
    I know this post is a year old, but I'm interested in trying a recipe with shredded raw pumpkin. The link won't work. What recipe did you try from shredded raw pumpkin so I can search for it? Thanks.

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I did a search for 'pumpkin AND shredded' and found this bread recipe by Alton Brown. (There were some others, but this seemed pretty likely, since it was the only bread.) HTH!,00.html

Pumpkin Bread
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
    Yield: 1 loaf or 1 1/2 dozen small mu
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 cups shredded fresh pumpkin
    1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.

In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla. Combine both mixtures and fold in the shredded pumpkin and pumpkin seeds. Once the ingredients are all incorporated pour into a non- stick 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan. If your pan is not non- stick coat it with butter and flour.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. At this point a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf should come out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely. For muffins temperature should also be 325 degrees F., but bake for 30 minutes.

Episode#: EA1E03

Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist

Across the street from Normal
    Yup, that's the one. I make it in muffin form and they always go really quickly.

I'd like to try and lighten it though-3/4 cups of oil, 3 eggs-

"Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

Usually you can count on the pumpkin mush to replace some of the oil, however, with raw shredded I don't expect the same thing happens. Maybe you could use the raw shredded as listed and still use 1/2 cup of cooked pumpkin (or apple butter) plus some ground flax to replace most of the oil? I usually use quite a bit less sugar than listed in most quick bread recipies. I usually don't mess with substituting egg whites for whole eggs but I think the ratio is two whites replace one whole egg.