Community Message Boards

View Poll Results: Are you voting November 5th?

Voters
84. This poll is closed
  • Yes

76 90.48%
  • No

8 9.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you voting on November 5th?

Are you voting on November 5th?

I just listened to a "Talk of the Nation" about the vanishing American voter. How many of you (who are US citizens) plan to vote tomorrow?

Thumbs up You betcha!

I've already voted actually. Oregon is (I believe) the only state in the nation that does all elections by mail. No more going to the polls, which I love. That way I can vote when it's most convenient for me.

I've always been a voter-- I feel strongly that it's my priveledge and I don't want to lose it!

DH works for the printer that prints most of the ballots for Oregon (and occasionally a few other states).

I will be voting tomorrow.

You bet I'm voting. In my family, the rule is you aren't allowed to say anything, good or bad, about any elected official unless you did something to put them there or tried to keep them out. I've only missed one election since I've been able to vote, and that was because the Board of Elections didn't get my absentee ballot to me in time.
    Andrea

UGH!

I probably should as we've got some tight races. I guess it depends on how well behaved DD2 (23M) is. She has a checkup with the ENT in the morning and has a cold to boot.

So, my vote would be 'I don't know'

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Absolutely

The races are very tight here in Maryland so hopefully voter turn out will be pretty high.

Susan, I have to say no.

Rest assured- I voted Saturday via absentee ballot

Seriously, DH and I started voting absentee a few years ago- it's really the greatest thing to sit down with a cup of tea and the voter's guide on a quiet morning and to spend time carefully considering the issues on local and state initiatives and referendums. ANYONE can vote absentee (at least in the states of WA and IL)- once you are on the list, you are mailed a ballot and a guide every election- so for those with young children, house-bound, or who otherwise just can't make it to a ballot box on election day, this is the perfect solution.

I just wish they'd enclose an I VOTED sticker in the ballot so I could feel special on Tuesday, too!

Get out and vote EVERYONE! Exercise the most precious right you have as a citizen of this country
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

I will be, but I know of a lot of people who won't because this has been one of the dirtiest gubernational races. The amount of mudslinging is sickening. I honestly don't know about many of the issues because that hasn't been the focus of this election.
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

Actually, I have already voted. I completed an absentee ballot. I like going through the materials and just voting right then and there. Some of the decisions were painful because it was trying to decide between the lesser of 2 evils in a couple of areas.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Oh my, I guess I should have said "are you voting in the election?" I'm old-fashioned and go to the actual polls on election day. I always used to go with my Dad who made me wait outside while he voted so I still get a kick out of getting into a voting booth.

Thumbs up Absolutely!

We have both an extremely close governor's and lt. governor's race here in VT. As our constitution reads, if no candidate receives 50 percent of the votes, it goes to the legislature. So this year is even more important to vote, although I always do. I'm one of those people who looks forward to voting!

Absolutely!

The race is extremelly close here in Florida. Not only that, but as a *female* citizen, I feel it is a privilege that we have the freedom to vote in this country. I don't ever want to take that for granted.

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Guest Guest
    I am voting tomorrow, but oh what dismal candidates for governor we have to choose from. I find it hard to believe that the state of California, one of the largest ecomonies in the world, has to choose between Gray Davis, Mr. Special Interest and Mr. Inept, Bill Simon. It is disheartening, but to the polls I will go.

Leigh's post made me think about the times I voted when DD was younger. I always brought her with me to vote. It was a ritual. DD always votes by absentee ballot, but I like going to the polling place.

Smile

I work for the Democratic Party and I think they would frown on me if I didn't.

I'm voting. Honestly, it upsets me that some people plan NOT to vote.

Just have to tell you about one campaign ... a man is running for Franklin County Commissioner. His most-advertised accomplishment to date is that he is a five-time Jeopardy champion!
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Absolutely, I'm voting. I always do, no matter how small or local the election. You've got to exercise that right. It was pretty hard-fought getting it.

I lived outside the country for about 10 years and could only vote in national elections (president), and it killed me not being able to vote for everything, because I always have such an opinion!

Definitely!

I'll be voting!

I'll be there, although I still haven't decided who I'll vote for. Most of the candidates make my skin crawl. I was so disappointed when my gubanatorial choice didn't win the primary election. Yes, I voted then, too.

Yes, I'll be voting as usual.
    For the polital junkies or other interested people, there's a documentary on HBO tomorrow night that's getting high praise. Here's the link to Journeys with George. This documentary was shot with a hand-held video camera by Alexandra Pelosi, by all accounts a young/hip and quirky filmmaker (from a democratic/political family).
    Should be a good one.
    ELLYN

I'll be voting, but I'll be holding my nose while I do it. Like JenZen said, I don't know as much as I'd like about the candidates' positions on the issues since their campaigns have primarily consisted of telling voters why we can't trust their opponent. And unfortunately, I am having trouble finding the information online as well - the Houston Chronicle says who they support for each office, and why, but doesn't give the opposing candidate positions... ugh. But yes, I will absolutely vote.
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

I consider it an honor and a privilege to be able to vote! I have not missed voting one time, since I came of age! I used to be a Democrat, but have since grown into being a consevative Republican.

Like adoty said, If you don't vote then you have absolutely NO right to complain! We live in a free country and I believe each should exercise their right to vote. My DD is driving home tonight, after getting off work at 12:30am...so that she can get out and vote at 6:00AM! I am so proud of her! We used to take our children with us to the polls. We chose the candidates we voted for and allowed them to pull the lever! My son will get to register, soon!

I love this country!

I'm voting too, and I consider it the honor and the privilege to do so that many of you have mentioned. But is anyone as sick-to-death as I am of the incessant phone calls SOLICITING votes? In the last week, I've counted. I've had 66 election-related phone calls. And the really annoying part is that most of them are recorded! Yuck!

DH and I just voted today at the polls. South Florida voters have been able to vote for the last 2 weeks. Early voting is supposed to help the process go smoother, but I don't think that will work. I hope our area doesn't make national headlines again!

Originally posted by d_ferrero
    I'm voting too, and I consider it the honor and the privilege to do so that many of you have mentioned. But is anyone as sick-to-death as I am of the incessant phone calls SOLICITING votes? In the last week, I've counted. I've had 66 election-related phone calls. And the really annoying part is that most of them are recorded! Yuck!
    YES! This is driving me bonkers! Jeanne Shaheen's people called me 3 times in one 2-hour block on Sunday afternoon. I've been so bombarded by phone calls that I almost don't want to vote anymore!

But of course I will. The NH election is also very close this year.

And I agree with what several of you have said--it's so hard to find out where candidates stand on the issues. I know who to vote for for the bigger offices, but sheriff? County commissioner??

Guest Guest
    A few weeks ago I received a call regarding a local school bond measure. I was pretty blown away when the caller knew that I had a child who didn't go to the local public school. I followed up with a call to our County's Registrar of Voters and was told that I could have my phone number removed from the information that is made available/sold to different campaigns. Hopefully, this will eliminate the calls in future elections.

Originally posted by JenZen
    I will be, but I know of a lot of people who won't because this has been one of the dirtiest gubernational races. The amount of mudslinging is sickening. I honestly don't know about many of the issues because that hasn't been the focus of this election.
    It's really bad in IL too. My DBF kept saying he wasn't going to vote for governor b/c he doesn't like either candidate, but I told him he should at least write someone in--that at least counts as a vote, even if, in my mind, that's still throwing your vote away. So he said he was going to vote for ME LOL!! He was kidding though. He'll probably vote for the primary candidate he liked who didn't get the nomination.

As for me, I always vote. I hate the attack ads and the negative campaigning, but I try to research the candidates and find out where they really stand. It annoys me that most people don't do this, since some of the candidates really employ sleazy tactics and just say a lot of empty phrases when they speak, and then they win votes because people don't really know what they stand for. I don't care if people have different views from me, as long as they are based on solid reasons!
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

I'll be there tomorrow!
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

I'll be there tomorrow too...

I didn't vote for the local stuff when I was younger (just nationals, governors, etc), but now I pay alot of attention to who is running, why, what they stand for, the ballot initiatives, etc. DH & I have picked up a couple different voters guides over the past few weeks & discussed what we thought about different candidates and issues. It's sooo important to get out there--I agree with the 'you can't gripe if you don't vote' adage. KValley--I love getting (and wearing) my 'I voted!' sticker !

But is anyone as sick-to-death as I am of the incessant phone calls SOLICITING votes?
    I have recieved 2 of these (automatic recordings) from one of the gubenatorial candidates running and both were the most negative, ignorant, discriminatory pieces of (blank) I've ever heard in a campaign. I guess they can get away with more on the phone than on a TV ad, it was insulting to get them. It amazes me that someone would think that type of bombardment would get a vote?!?

Well, lets hope there's no state-wide recounts....or hanging chads(shudder) .

Kyle
    The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.

Originally posted by JenZen
    Ain't that the TRUTH!?!!!
    I had to explain to DS (13 y/o) last week why it "matters" to exercise your right to vote.

"Politics is stupid."

"No, it's not. You have to be part of the process and voting is the way to be part of the solution to the problem." (I really did say that!)

"All they say is, 'He lied.' 'He bought votes.' 'He's disreputable.' Politics is stupid."

and ya know, the kid is RIGHT!!!!

Did anyboy see Saturday Night Live? The opening was with a Rudy Giuliani character taping endorsement ads, including one for his good friend, "Heinrich Himmler" in Montana's 7th Congressional District. The handlers wouldn't let him call him "Hank" -- "nobody calls him Hank, they'd know you weren't his friend." (BTW, Montana only has one congressional district!) Later on, there was a series of attack ads that urged you to call one candidate to tell them to call the opponent to call the other candidate to call the opponent to tell them to quit telling you to call them! LOL! I was ROTFLMAO during the Giuliani skit, but the ad series really had me in stitches.

We had three "get out the vote" phone calls yesterday afternoon within two hours; only one on the answering machine today.

My mother celebrates her 81st b-day tomorrow in Colorado and she said she wasn't going to vote because she was so disgusted with the campaigns....I chastised her and said she better get out there, even if she registered a "protest" and wrote in a name or voted for some "fringe" candidate.

For you Wisconsinites, DH is a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat and turned off the McCallum/Doyle debate a week ago Sunday night saying, "I'm voting for Ed Thompson." Now THERE'S a scary thought.....
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Definitely. A free vote is the symbol of the USA. Having heard so much about elections from DH where you did not have a choice and voting was just an exercise since the results were already a given, freely voting whichever way is our example of freedom. Long may it be so.