Community Message Boards

Thread: substitue for heavy cream in truffle recipe

Question substitue for heavy cream in truffle recipe

I saw a Martha Stewart recipe for chocolate truffles and it calls for 1 c heavy cream. I'm wondering if it would work to substitue something else - if so, what would I substitute? thanks

jen

For truffles, I wouldn't recommend a substitution in a regular truffle recipe -- the cream is a great deal of what makes the truffle rich and creamy.

If you're TRULY concerned with fat content in your truffles, why not try one of the low fat truffle recipes (most use cream cheese and powdered cocoa instead of cream and chocolate)? Here's one:

8 oz. Reduced Fat Cream Cheese, softened
    4 cups Confectioner┤s Sugar
    3/4 cup Dutch Cocoa
    1 tbsp. Rum or 1 tsp. Rum Extract
    Crushed Wafer Cookies, Ginger Snaps, Cocoa, Confectioner┤s Sugar or Colored Granulated Sugar for Toppings

Mix cocoa and sugar with cream cheese. Add in rum or rum extract. Mix well. Freeze 30 minutes.

Roll into 1 inch balls. Roll balls in desired toppings. Chill completed truffles on a baking sheet until firm, about 30 minutes to one hour. Or freeze on baking sheet. Transfer to a plastic freezer bag. Defrost in refrigerator.

[This message has been edited by lorilei (edited 12-05-2000).]

thanks lorilei. i was curious mainly because i love finding light recipes that really taste as good, or almost as good as the real thing. have you tried this recipe and would you recommend it? if it's not worth it - i will stick with the original while i continue the search thanks

jen

No, I haven't tried this recipe.

To be honest, I haven't been very happy with any of the "lightened" versions I've found for fudge or candies (in general), so I tend to avoid them. When it comes to things like chocolate, I won't lighten or scrimp. Some things are worth a few extra calories

I actually was going to try it, not because it's light but because it looks so easy (and Martha always seems to make things 10 times harder than they need to be). But I have one question first - 3/4 WHAT of Dutch Cocoa?

Originally posted by SusanD:
    I actually was going to try it, not because it's light but because it looks so easy (and Martha always seems to make things 10 times harder than they need to be). But I have one question first - 3/4 WHAT of Dutch Cocoa?
    cups... sorry, it should be cups (this is what happens when one types quickly). I've corrected it above.

Smile

Thanks!! I found Martha's recipe too and it doesn't look too difficult. I think I'll try them both this weekend and see what happens. I'll use my co-workers as guinea pigs (oh, what an awful experiment to have to participate in).