Community Message Boards

Thread: Carrot souffle (how do you spell that??)

Carrot souffle (how do you spell that??)

My mom said she needs sides for Thanksgiving. I told her I'd be happy to make the carrot souffle because it looked interesting. Her immediate reaction was "nobody likes carrots for a side dish". I told her fine, I'd make something else. Guilt must've kicked in because she changed her tune and said I could try it, but she didn't sound too convincing.

Has anyone made it? Do people gobble it up (no pun intended)?? Should I make something else green to appease the woman who cannot be pleased? Any suggestions? I had to laugh because after she shot down my carrot souffle idea, she told me she needed someone to make the green bean casserole - yes, the one everyone LOVES with Campbell's Soup
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Here is a link to the recipe reviews in the Recipe Finder:

http://cookinglight.timeinc.net/cook...cipe_id=385174

Don't know if any of these people are from the BB but at least it's a start. I thought it looked good for the holidays, especially since kids like it. Let us know if you make it.
    -Amy

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    There was a thread on this one just a few weeks ago, and reviews were generally positive, though a good many people said they'd reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.

I didn't make it EXACTLY as written, since the recipe called for a fair amount of sugar and also vanilla, if I remember correctly, and I just knew that my dad would probably object to that much dessert-like sweetness in a vegetable at supper time. I did put some sugar, but used salt and pepper too, so my dish was perhaps a bit more savory than sweet. I'd definitely repeat it, and will probably make the recipe as written for one of the holidays, since other people mentioned how well their kids liked the sweetness, which probably means it's a good choice for a holiday table.

HTH!
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the link to the thread Little Bit was referring to:

Carrot Souffle Reviews
    -Amy

Here's a link to some reviews for the souffle.

I haven't tried it myself - my husband has a huge aversion to cooked carrots stemming from a childhood incident where he thought a big bowl of mashed carrots was actually orange marmalade. He certainly was surprised!
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

Thanks everyone. My mom always makes sweet potatoes so maybe I should skip this for the holidays. Hmmm, now what can I make? Maybe some citrus pull apart rolls?
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

I think this is a "gobble it up" recipe. Whipped carrots sounds bizarre, so I wouldn't tell anyone what it is beforehand.

Based on the reviews, I made it w/all brown sugar (no refined/white sugar) and thought it was perfect. But, I'm one of those who doesn't like overly sweet veggies.

If you don't want 2 whipped dishes, you could make the cider carrots from Nov (or was it Oct)? Yes, it's more carrots, but would be a good side dish to bring. They aren't sweet, more in the tart category.

I loved the carrot dish too and so did my very picky dh. He's requested that I make the carrot souffle to take to the in-laws for Thanksgiving.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller