Community Message Boards

Thread: What desserts can be made with Jellied Cranberry Sauce?

What desserts can be made with Jellied Cranberry Sauce?

I don't like the taste of whole cranberries, but I love jellied cranberry sauce.

I would like to make some things for the holidays for my kids with the jellied cranberry sauce, but have only found recipes I'm not too thrilled to make.

Anybody have recipes for desserts made with jellied cranberry sauce?

Thanks,

Nefertete
    The mind knows what the heart enjoys.

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my cuisine."

Have you checked out the Ocean Spray website? Maybe they have some recipes....
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

good idea, susan.

I found these cookies there.

Peanut Butter and Jellies

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 egg
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 16-ounce can Ocean Spray« Jellied Cranberry Sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 350║F.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine, sugar and brown sugar in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter, vanilla and egg; mix well. Combine flour and baking soda in a separate mixing bowl. Add to peanut butter mixture; mix well.

Roll dough between hands to make 1-inch balls. Place on cookie sheets. Press thumb into the center of each ball. Place cranberry sauce in a small mixing bowl; beat with a whisk or fork until smooth. Spoon a scant teaspoon of cranberry sauce into the indent of each cookie.

Bake 15 minutes to until slightly firm to the touch. Cool completely. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

and these...

Cranberry Cheesecake Tartlets

Ingredients

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 16-ounce can Ocean Spray« Jellied Cranberry Sauce
    1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate bits
    6 graham cracker tartlet shells

Directions

Preheat oven to 350║F.

Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Set aside.

Combine cranberry sauce and chocolate bits in a medium saucepan. Melt over medium heat, whisking occasionally until smooth. Cool slightly.

Place tartlet shells on a cookie sheet. Spoon a generous tablespoon of chocolate mixture into each shell. Top with about 1/4 cup of cream cheese mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the centers are set. Cool completely. Drizzle tops of tartlets with leftover chocolate mixture. Makes 6 tartlets.

PER SERVING (1 tartlet): Cal. 484, Total Fat 24grams, Sat. Fat 12grams, Protein 6grams, Carb. 65grams, Chol 77mg, Dietary Fiber 2grams, Sugar 53grams, Vit. A 181RE, Folate 11Ug, Vit. E
    1mg, Vit. C 0mg, Sodium 310mg, Pot. 147mg, Iron 1mg, Calcium 37mg, Zinc <1mg

Thanks, yet again, for the recipes. Unfortunately, I'm highly allergic to peanuts. But, I copied the other recipe. Looks good.

Yep, swquilts, I did check out the Ocean Spray website. They don't seem to have too much at all that can be made with the jellied cranberry sauce. Most of what is offered on websites calls for the whole cranberry.

Thanks!!

how about these?

Cranberry Crunch Squares

" Tangy, tart, sweet cranberries topped with oats and brown sugar. "

Ingredients
    1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
    2 1/3 cups rolled oats
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 5/8 cups packed brown sugar
    1 cup butter, melted

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2 Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and butter. Stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread the cranberries into the bottom of one 9x13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle crumb mixture over top.
    3 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

editing:
    I think this would be really messy without a bottom crust. Sure enough, I looked at some of the reviews for this and found this great suggestion: these hold together MUCH better if you press half the oat mixture into the pan first, and put the cranberry in the middle. Very tasty. Scale to 2/3, and it fits very nicely into an 8 inch square pan.

Originally posted by valchemist
    how about these?

Cranberry Crunch Squares

" Tangy, tart, sweet cranberries topped with oats and brown sugar. "

Ingredients
    1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
    2 1/3 cups rolled oats
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 5/8 cups packed brown sugar
    1 cup butter, melted

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2 Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and butter. Stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread the cranberries into the bottom of one 9x13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle crumb mixture over top.
    3 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
    I got that one earlier today, and it looks good. What I like about it is the use of the oatmeal. I love cooking with oatmeal. I'm gonna be making some oatmeal pie crusts, oatmeal bread, and some cakes with oatmeal soon. I fell in love with the Quaker website. Oatmeal does things to a dish that nothing else seems to be able to.
    It's a hearty, flavorful flour, and as an addition to other recipes, it seems to add a chewiness that doesn't interefere with the featured flavors.

I just found another one...

Cranberry Chews

2 Eggs
    3/4 c Sugar
    1 tb Lemon juice
    1/4 ts Nutmeg
    1 1/2 c Biscuit mix
    1 c Pecans; chopped
    1 cn 8-oz. jellied cranberry sauce; chilled
    Confectioners sugar; sifted

Beat eggs with sugar, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Beat until fluffy. Stir in biscuit mix. Cut chilled cranberry sauce in cubes and fold into the batter with the nuts. Spread in a greased 13"x9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 mins. Cool. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Cut into bars.