Community Message Boards

Thread: What do you use for a sieve?

Question What do you use for a sieve?

I've had a couple recipes recently that call for a sieve and I don't think I have one. I usually just end up pusing it through a mesh strainer that I have. My grandmother had a chinois <sp?> that she called a sieve-- I have no idea what happened to it after she died. I wasn't into cooking then or I could have gotten lots and lots of great stuff! I'm sure it all went to Goodwill.

What do you use for a sieve?

I just bought a nice kitchen aid one a little while back. Here is a picture and a link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...216234-1284012

Cool

I've got several-- all mesh-- in various sizes and styles.

Val, that's a really neat strainer! Mine has a bigger mesh and is technically a colander. Looks like another item for Santa!

I made my own.

I took:
    a 3 foot length of 8 gauge wire (the type you use for hanging suspended ceilings),
    fine-mesh aluminum screening,
    a dozen hog rings (use hog ring pliers to apply them)
    1 empty institutional size food can (tomato sauce can, coffe can, etc)
    1 nicely-shaped 4-cup pyrex measuring cup

Directions:
    Place empty can hollow side up.
    Take the 8 gauge wire, wrap it tight around the can, just below the top. Twist the ends together, wrapping as though braiding. Make 3 turns in this wrapping together of the ends. This secures the circle you're making by wrapping the wire around the can. Now, straighten the ends so that they are parallel to one another and perpendicular to the can, to form a handle. Fold one end in by a third. Take the other end and begin to twist it around the folded-in end to hide the place where it terminates. Give it 4 turns, then snip the residual part to neaten it.

Now, you have a handled frame for your sieve (or strainer).
    Slip the frame off the can - carefully, so as not to lose the circular shape.

Next, take your screening and place it over the top of the can. Gently but firmly, press the screen into the can with the 4-cup measuring cup. That helps to get the nice shape to your sieve.
    When your pressed-in part of the screen is the depth and shape that you'd like it to be, fold over the edges and crease against the coffee can. Then, trim the screen edge overhang to about a 1 1/2 inch selvage.

Carefully remove the shaped screen from the coffee can and slip it into the handled frame that you made. Double-fold the selvage around the frame and hog-ring into place.

Voila!! You've made your own strainer/sieve!!!

I hardly think any of you will do it, but I did, and it was really fun. If you do, you'll hug yourself for your accomplishment, I'm sure!!
    The mind knows what the heart enjoys.

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my cuisine."