Community Message Boards

Thread: Homemade Irish Cream (i.e. Baileys)

Homemade Irish Cream (i.e. Baileys)

Has anyone tried this? I found the recipe on Allrecipes.com,where it received 31 five-star ratings. (I think only one person gave it fewer than five stars.) Many spoke of giving it as Christmas gifts. Would appreciate any comments/reviews.

Original Irish Cream

Irish whiskey mixed with cream and sugar with hints of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and almond. Will keep for 2 months if refrigerated.

Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes.
    Ready in: approx. 15 Minutes.
    Makes 4 cups (16 servings).

Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Mom
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey
    1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
    2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions

In a blender, combine heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, Irish whiskey, instant coffee, chocolate syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Blend on high for 20 to 30 seconds. Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator. Shake well before serving.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for posting this, Deanna.

I haven't tried making Irish Creme, but I saw it on allrecipes.com last year and have been toying with the idea of making it and giving it as gifts. I'd like to hear if anyone off the board has had success with it too. It sounds really good.

I have used a very, very similar recipe from a December issue of Bon Appetit ... maybe last Christmas? Anyway, it was excellent. Had a little bit of coconut cream in the mix instead of the almond extract. It never makes it out of my house, though, so I don't know about gifts!
    "I will not defend my patriotism to those with the vile audiacity to have questioned it. A true patriot loves what his country stands for, not necessarily what his country does, and I will not shrink from holding America to her ideals." - Eric Zorn

Originally posted by burleydee
    I have used a very, very similar recipe from a December issue of Bon Appetit ... maybe last Christmas? Anyway, it was excellent. Had a little bit of coconut cream in the mix instead of the almond extract. It never makes it out of my house, though, so I don't know about gifts!
    Would you mind posting the recipe? I did a search on epicurious.com and couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Off Topic

This has nothing to do with Irish Cream, but as I was searching for the recipe on Epicurious I found this. These sound really good! Also, I have Kahluah in the house. Okay. I am sorry to be so off-topic.

NO-BAKE CHOCOLATE KAHLUA CHRISTMAS BALLS

Carole McCallum, Sammamish, Wash.
    "Instead of Kahlúa, try Grand Marnier, crème de cacao, or another liqueur. For a festive touch, add green or red sprinkles."
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
    1 1/4 cups vanilla cookie crumbs
    1 1/4 cups ginger snap cookie crumbs
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
    1/3 cup Kahlúa liqueur
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 cups shredded coconut

1. Melt the chocolate chips in evaporated milk in a pot over low heat, stirring constantly, until well blended. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes. Combine all remaining ingredients except the coconut; stir into the chocolate mixture, blending well.

2. Shape the mixture into 1- to 1 1/2-inch balls (if the dough is too moist, add up to 1/3 cup more cookie crumbs), then roll in coconut. Let air-dry for 2 hours on waxed paper. Transfer to an airtight container; store in refrigerator. Serve in pleated, brown-paper candy cups.

Makes about 4 dozen.

Per cookie: 82 calories, 11g carbohydrates, no protein, 4g fat, 1mg cholesterol.
    Nutritional Breakdown: New Wellness, Richmond, Va.

Simply Delicious® by Sheila Lukins
    PARADE®
    December 2001

PARADE® and Simply Delicious® are used by CondéNet Inc. under license.

Sure thing, Sandy. I'll dig out the recipe tonight.
    "I will not defend my patriotism to those with the vile audiacity to have questioned it. A true patriot loves what his country stands for, not necessarily what his country does, and I will not shrink from holding America to her ideals." - Eric Zorn

I usually make a few batches of homemade Baileys each year--guests love it and I've got a neighbor who we always give it to as well. We just take old wine bottles and fill them up with it. I think our recipe came from Bon Appetit. It makes a very strong Baileys, but maybe that's because of the Bushmills type of whiskey?

I made a batch last night. I used Jameson's. Since I am not a regular whiskey drinker, I don't know much about it, except that by asking the guy at the liquor store, he said Bushmills and Jamesons are two "top of the line" Irish whiskeys. They were priced the same so I guess that is one indicator.

I think the strength of the "Baileys" comes from the ratio of whiskey to cream. My recipe called for 1 2/3 cups whiskey, and I went with 1 1/3 cups. It is pretty mild so (for me) I would probably add the full amount next time. If you don't regularly drink alcohol, you would probably prefer using less whiskey than the recipe calls for.

d

I was thinking of bottling it up in old Jones Soda bottles. I'm wondering how long it stays fresh. Does it really last 2 months in the refrigerator? Does it get better with time or is it something I should make and then give right away?

Claire, looks like you and I are going to be the guinea pigs on this one!

The recipe I made last night (using 1 1/3 cups of whiskey) exactly fills a quart jar. That's only 32 ounces...I can't imagine not being able to use that amount between now and New Years. Particularly if you split it up for gifts (smaller amounts). I love Irish Cream in coffee on a cold winter evening...

I'll be on the lookout for some cool bottles to fill for gifts!

d

Here's the recipe from BA that we've made an liked.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Irish Cream Liqueur

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Drinks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup irish whiskey
    1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
    1 cup whipping cream
    1 tablespoon cream of coconut -- canned, sweetened (such as Coco Lopez)
    ice cubes

Combine first 5 ingredients in blender; blend until coffee crystals dissolve, about 1 minute. Add whipping cream and cream of coconut to mixture and blend 10 seconds. Transfer to pitcher; cover and refridgerate until cold, about 2 hours. (Can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead, keep refridgerated). Fill wineglasses with ice cubes. Pour chilled mixture over ice cubes and serve immediately.

Description:
    "Bon Appetit Jan 2002- RSVP from Atlanta's World Trade Center"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 348 Calories; 16g Fat (49.8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 58mg Cholesterol; 77mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

Whoops, looks as if y'all beat me to it. Just dug out the recipe, but DCMCGREEVEY got there first. I think it's pretty strong with a cup of whiskey; I usually reduce to 3/4 cup or so. And I've been know to make it with Jim Beam if that's all I've got lying around!

Originally posted by Deanna

I'll be on the lookout for some cool bottles to fill for gifts!

d
    If you can find Jone's soda, you may want to use those bottles. The labels peel off pretty easily and the tops are screw tops so you can sterilize them in the dishwasher and use them again.

I guess I'll go buy the ingredients tomorrow. I wonder how this would taste lighted up. That is, with fat free condensed milk and fat free half & half instead of the heavy cream.

I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out with lightened ingredients- sweetened condensed milk will probably be fine, it would be the FF half and half I would worry about....but, that being said, the original recipe is much like Bailey's- very decadent, so it just might work.

Let us knwo how it turns out!

Originally posted by dmcgreevey
    I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out with lightened ingredients- sweetened condensed milk will probably be fine, it would be the FF half and half I would worry about....but, that being said, the original recipe is much like Bailey's- very decadent, so it just might work.

Let us knwo how it turns out!
    I was worried too about the Half & Half. However, we use the fat free half & half by itself all the time and it is great. Also, since the mixture is not cooked, it shouldn't curdle or have any weird reactions....so maybe it WILL work. I'm going to make it the decadent way first

claire, do let us know what you think. The original recipe is indeed very rich; I think your idea about the lightened version is right on. If anything, it may be just a tad thinner in consistency, but should still taste great.

I am resurrecting this old thread because I finally made the Baileys recipe that Deanna posted. I made a batch for my CL Supper Club dinner tonight (we are doing an Irish theme). It is really good!!! The only change I made was using fat-free sweetened condensed milk. Reduced the fat by 30gms and I don't think the flavor suffered at all. Thanks for posting this, Deanna!

Peggy

I just made some using a low-carb recipe (not low fat) and it's very good. I did use burbon because it's what I had on hand and didn't want to run to the liquor store. Am making a low-carb Bailey's Marbled cheesecake for Monday.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Bumping for foodfiend....just in case you missed my reply to your post.

d

Thanks Deanna for bringing up the old thread. The recipe from BA sounds good to me. I've never bought Irish whiskey before, but I'm guessing that the recipe would still be less expensive than a bottle of Bailey's at the liquor store.

(Thus spoke a woman who gave up a secure job for freelance work and is trying to manage her money better)