Community Message Boards

Thread: Cappuccino question

Question Cappuccino question

I love splurging on the fat-free French vanilla cappuccinos at (gulp) the area BP gas station/ gourmet coffee bars. Would the cappuccino machines that I see advertised in kitchen stores, etc. make the same thing? I'm usually a "basic coffee" type of person, but I thought that this might be something that I could really get into. And DH keeps bugging me for gift ideas...
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Guest Guest
    I know next to nothing about flavored cappuccinos and coffee drinks, other than haow to order them, but I think you need to add some sort of flavoring or syrup to the basic coffee drink. I bet if you figure out what type of flavoring to use, you could have a lot of fun with a cappuccino machine.

The kind of "cappuccino" in the gas station, is not even close to real cappucino. It's a powdered mix, mixed with hot water. Instant, instant, instant. And only a smidge of coffee. Real cappuccino is a real shot of espresso, mixed with steamed milk. Flavored syrups can be added (vanilla, caramel, whatever), or chocolate syrup for a mocha. If you like the stuff in the gas station (which I also like, but just drink it on it's own merit, not as a substitute for real cappuccino), you can buy the powdered cappuccino in the grocery store. The machines you see advertised in the stores are much more complicated. You have to grind coffee beans to an espresso grind, "pull" a shot of real espresso, pour milk into a steaming pitcher, steam the milk, and then mix the two together. And while real cappuccino is truly wonderful, it won't taste at all like the stuff in the gas station, so you won't really be getting what you think you'd be getting. Go to a Starbucks or any good coffee shop (not saying Starbucks is good, mind you!), and order a small cappuccino and you will see for yourself just exactly what you would be getting with a home machine. The drinks are not sweetened either, unless you add the vanilla syrup, and that's not usually quite sweet enough all by itself, so you'll probably have to add even more sugar for that "gas station" sweetness. You may not even like real cappuccino that much, in that it's a lot thinner than the gas station "cappuccino". I like that kind of thicker, heavier feel of the gas station stuff, myself.

So my advice is just go to a coffee shop and order a real cappuccino and see for yourself what you like (or don't like). Then you'll be able to decide if you want to spend the money on a home espresso machine, or just buy the stuff at the grocery store (or the BP??!!)! Good luck.

Confession Time...

Hubby and I have a ridiculous addiction to what we lovingly refer to as Fakeaccino. We can't resist grabbing a vat-sized cup and sharing it, especially on long road trips.

The "cappucino" machines at Gas stations utilize a powdered mix which is mixed with boiling water shot out at high speed (hence the foaming). It in no way resembles real cappucino (which is not sweetened at the outset - only doctored by the drinker).

Nestles has some mixes which might afford you the fakeaccino experience at home.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Re: Confession Time...

Originally posted by Chiffonade
    Nestles has some mixes which might afford you the fakeaccino experience at home.
    lol....fakeccino
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

If you do decide to get an espresso/cappuccino maker, let me repeat my recommendation for Aabree.com or aabreecoffee.com (they were changing sites and I can't remember which was the new one). You can browse around and then call them on their 800 # with any questions. I loved the fact that they actually rotate all these machines through their coffee room, so they have used all of them and can tell you why one machine might be better than another for your type of use.

DH bought a small one made by Breil (the Lido) that he took to the office. It was about $99 with free shipping. It is a better quality machine that the ones you will find in most department or kitchen stores, and it has a tank that holds a liter or so of water, so you don't have to cool it down or get spewed with hot steam between each cup. He has been using it almost 2 years and still loves it.

We bought a larger Solis for home, but I would say geta smaller, less expensive one and see if you like it before incvesting any more. We brew espresso as the bas for all our daily coffee. DH drinks it straight, and I add water or steamed milk for mine. If I want a mocha, I add some fat-free chcolate milk to my usual skim milk (about 1/4 of the total for my taste), and I'm sure you could experiment with other flavored coffee products, beverage syrups and f;avorings to get a variety of thngs you like. They probably won't be just like the gas station ones, but you will probably like them as well or better.

"There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Wooooooooo Grace, I just love it when you talk coffee - I makes me want to go into the coffee business.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I've never tasted "real" cuppuccino (was always too intimidated by all of the things that I didn't know when in a gourmet coffee shop!). I knew that the "other" stuff probably wasn't identical to the genuine, but had no idea that it was so far off! Grace, I will take your advice and go into a shop and order a real, live cuppuccino and if I like it I may ask for the machine as a Christmas gift. This may ruin my "splurges" at the gas station, though!!!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

As several of the previous posts said, the "cappucinios" at the gas station are nothing more than a water and powder mix. Maxwell House or Folgers actually make a similar product that you can make in you own home.

As far as compairing the "BP Special" to something at Starbucks, I would suggest that you start off with a latte, mocha or caramel macchiato as that will have the creaminess that the BP drink does but will be closer to a real drink. I think that you will find that a real cappucinos are very strong, nothing like the one at BP.

As far as buying a machine, I bought one myself a little over a year ago. I was a little weary about what I was doing and did not want to drop a lot of money to figure out that I did, in fact, not know what I was doing. So I bought one at Target for $19.99 and it is excellent. Even came with a video on how to use the machine, which is made by Melattia. I have found that the secret to the drinks is the flavored syrups, of which Cost Plus Markets has a large selection of Torani but you can also buy on the internet or at Starbucks. However, Torani.com has a great index for recipes to help you get started.

Good Luck!