Community Message Boards

Thread: Bitter Cranberry Sauce?

Bitter Cranberry Sauce?

I attempted to make homemade cranberry sauce the other night and I kind of combined the Mulled Cranberry Sauce recipe with the Zin Cranberries recipe. I don't know what I did wrong, but it has a bitter after-taste. Anyway, I didn't even pull it out for our Thanksgiving dinner, so I have a bowl of this stuff in the fridge and I hate to throw it away. Do you think I could use this stuff in a cake/bread recipe? Or would it still be bitter? Any comments would be appreciated!

maybe adding a bit of sugar and simmering it on the stove a bit would help. then you could try using it in a sweet recipe like the Cranberry Crumbcake.

I don't know. just a thought.

really, I am just bumping this up for you.

my cranberries were a touch bitter this year...I added a touch more spice to my cranberry sauce...val's idea is good...add maybe some brown sugar and simmer for a bit...

Cool

Just another thought, since you used red wine.

Chilled red wine compared to room temperature red wine to my palate seems bitter. If when you tasted your cranberry sauce it was chilled, warming it up may also help. (One reason why I recommended warming the mulled sauce.)

Val, luv2cook, and Gail,
    Thanks for the help! I went ahead and used it in a cake and it turned out great! I used the recipe below, but I cut it in half and baked it in an 8 inch loaf pan. And I just made a simple orange glaze to go over it. Oh, and I used vanilla extract instead of almond and I omitted the nuts and sprinkled oats over the top of the loaf before baking. I'm enjoying it more than CL's Sour Cream Raspberry Swirl Loaf. I still have a lot of cranberries left, so I might have to make another cake. I only used this recipe instead of Val's because it uses less butter.

Gail, I ended up using white zin in the cranberry sauce because I knew I was going to have to drink the rest of the wine and I didn't know what merlot tasted like. I guess next time I ought to just follow the recipe. Turns out that everyone who was here for Thanksgiving dinner loves the canned jellied cranberry sauce anyway.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CRANBERRY COFFEE CAKE

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cake

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 c. butter or margarine -- softened
    1 c. sugar
    2 eggs
    2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 carton sour cream -- (8 oz.)
    1 tsp. almond extract
    1 can whole berry cranberry sauce -- (16 oz.)
    1/2 c. chopped pecans, optional
    Glaze:
    3/4 c. powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    1 Tbsp. warm water

Cream butter, gradually add sugar; beat until light and
    fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each
    addition. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture
    alternately with sour cream. Add almond extract; mix well.
    Spoon 1/3 of mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube
    pan or Bundt pan. Spread 1/3 of the cranberry sauce over
    batter. Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with cranberry
    sauce. Sprinkle pecans over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or
    until cake tests done. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing
    from pan.

For the glaze:
    Mix glaze ingredients in a small bowl. After removing cake from pan, spread glaze on cake while
    hot.