Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Cranberry Sauce?

Freezing Cranberry Sauce?

I went a little crazy with different recipes of cranberry sauce this year. Now, the leftovers take up about half my refrigerator! Can I freeze these?
    TIA!

I've had success freezing cranberry sauce in the past. I defrost by taking it out the night before/morning I want to use it and bringing to room temp but I am sure microwaving to defrost or heating on the stove top would not be an issue. In fact, I have some in the freezer from last week too. I told my MIL I would freeze it and bring it again next year. I was a little irritated that that she went out and bought canned when she knew I was bringing homemade . . . and then she proceeded to open the canned and put it out on the table even after I reminded her, "oh, I brought cranberries." I think I'll stop here because I could go on and on about my MIL!

Placed in an airtight container it should keep for up to a year in the freezer.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Originally posted by Meg O'C
    I was a little irritated that that she went out and bought canned when she knew I was bringing homemade . . . and then she proceeded to open the canned and put it out on the table even after I reminded her, "oh, I brought cranberries." I think I'll stop here because I could go on and on about my MIL!
    Meg,

my grandmother (who has now passed) only ever used to eat canned jellied cranberry sauce. so my mom, who makes two recipes of her own every Thanksgiving, was always forced to put out the canned to make Grandma happy. some people just like what they like and that is all there is to it.

Val

There is just the two of us, so when I freeze cranberry sauce, I freeze it in ice cube trays and store it that way (when it freezes, I put the cubes in a container with a lid). When we want cranberry sauce, I take out two cubes and there's no waste.

Thanks. I was wondering if cranberry sauce could be frozen.
    Leisa

Yea! Thanks! I'll freeze some and save it for another dreary winter day.