Community Message Boards

Thread: "True Colors" notes

"True Colors" notes

Our winter concert is tomorrow night, and I'm writing up program notes. The staff chorus is singing "True Colors," which has been recorded by both Cyndi Lauper and Phil Collins. I am at a loss for what to write about it in the program. Do any of you have an album it's been recorded on? Is there anything interesting in the liner notes I could use? Does anyone know any neat information or trivia about the song? I am hoping the wide diversity of people here on the BB can help me out. Who knows, maybe one of you is Cyndi Lauper's cousin or Phil Collins' aunt!
    Connie

Try www.allmusic.com

They have a write up on almost every artist, along with with every album by each artist.
    "I never feel lonely in the kitchen. Food is very friendly." - Julia Child

Thanks!
    I did check out allmusic.com and they have great info on both Cyndi Lauper and Phil Collins. But I wish I could find info about the song itself to use for program notes. Any other ideas, folks?
    Connie

Here's some info from Cindi's site:

http://www.cyndilauper.com/song_det.php?shname=tc

Some info on the True Colors video:

In an article from the NY TIMES, detailing the making of "True Colors" and the time right before its release, Cyndi described the True Colors video:
    In the beginning, she's a storyteller pounding on an African drum; a girl moves through childhood and adulthood, with the shell symbolizing the turning of tides and so forth; Cyndi then walks through that desert with the new group of children in the background; the last shot is of Cyndi pounding on the drum a final time. Then she of course spoke of loving yourself, and accepting who you are (info from Eric Riley).

In concert: This song in concert
    This song has been performed during the following tours: True Colors (36 times), A Night To Remember (13 times), A.M.A.C.S. (2 times), Hat Full Of Stars (4 times), Twelve Deadly Cyns (21 times), Sisters Of Avalon (17 times), Summer 1999 (24 times), Summer 2000 (6 times), Shine (16 times), Cher 2002 (63 times), Other Live Appearances (12 times)

I'll keep looking.
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

Thanks Jen, this is great!!!
    Connie