Community Message Boards

Thread: Lighten me up!

Lighten me up!

I have this recipe that I got from my MIL but it happens to be REALLY high in fat. Any ideas for lightening it up a bit? I've found low-fat kielbasa, but what about the soup and half & half?

German Potato and Sausage Casserole

1 (28 oz) bag frozen seasoned chunky style hash brown potatoes, thawed
    1 (14 oz) can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
    1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of potato soup
    1 1/3 cups half & half
    Paprika
    1 lb cooked kielbasa/Polish sausage, cut into 6 pieces

1. Heat oven to 375. Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine potatoes and sauerkraut; toss to mix.
    2. In medium bowl, combine soup and half & half; blend well. Add soup mixture to potato mixture; mix well. Pour potato mixture into sprayed baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Arrange sausage pieces over potato mixture, pressing lightly into mixture.
    3. Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender.

6 Servings- 34 g fat!! (13 sat), 75 mg sodium, 2040 mg sodium!!

TIA for any suggestions. This was really good, I just panicked when I saw the nutrition info AFTER I ate it!
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Well you can use FF half and half, and change the sausage to turkey or chicken sausage. That would take care of the majority of the fat.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Land o Lakes makes a FF half and half that is pretty good. I know there is low fat or fat free cream of mushroom soup. There might be the same for potato.

The pre-frozen hash browns will have fat added as well; maybe you could shred your own potatos and season them?
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Andrea,

if you try a lightened version, can you report back. I would love to try it, but I would prefer a lowfat version if it tastes comparable.

Val

I've seen a product called "Just Potatos" in the egg section (don't ask me why the egg section ). These are exactly what they're called, no preservatives, etc. They might be lower in fat or calories than frozen potatos.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Maybe you could use Boca sausages?
    Not sure what the final product should taste like either...do you think subbing low-fat yogurt would be OK too?? after all, it will taste slightly acidic due to the kraut.

That sounds really good. I wonder what it would taste like with sweet potatoes instead of regular

I need to use up some sauerkraut jars that have been sitting around for a VERY long time
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I would try evaporated milk or reduced fat half and half. If you want to cut down on the sodium, I would dice your own potatoes and add your own seasonings.