Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO of a Lentil Soup Recipe

ISO of a Lentil Soup Recipe

Hopefully you gals and guys can help me out. Although I love Bree's Lentil soup, I'm itching for something just a little different. I really like Progresso's Classic Lentil Soup (I know, so bad of me!) and was looking for a recipe similiar. Does anyone have a surefire recipe?

Thanks!
    Jennifer

I made this one from epicurious.com several times. It is very good. I've used regular brown lentils and little french lentils, and it is very nice with either type.

LENTIL SOUP WITH ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE

4 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
    4 1/2 cups beef stock or canned broth
    1 1/2 cups dried lentils

2 teaspoons fennel seeds

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/3 cup chopped celery
    1/3 cup chopped carrot
    1/3 cup chopped onion

6 ounces andouille sausage, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning

Combine both stocks and lentils in large pot over high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat medium skillet over medium heat. Add fennel; sauté until seeds are light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove seeds from skillet.

Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add celery, carrot and onion; sauté until onion is translucent and celery and carrot are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add toasted fennel seeds, sautéed vegetables, sausage, thyme and Creole seasoning to soup. Cover and simmer until lentils are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.)

Serves 6.

Bon Appétit
    October 1997

R.S.V.P.
    Giuseppe's Italian Café, Williamsburg, VA

Absolutely, positively LOVE this recipe from Mollie K. Have made it many times and will do so again this weekend. Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mollie Katzen's Original Lentil Soup

Recipe By :Mollie Katzen
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Soups & Stews Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups lentils -- any type
    7 cups vegetable broth -- (more as needed) may use water if desired
    1 tablespoon canola oil -- or butter
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup minced celery
    1 cup chopped carrots
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt -- or to taste
    black pepper -- to taste
    a few pinches of dried herbs (thyme,
    oregano, or basil)
    2 medium ripe tomatoes -- chopped
    2 tablespoons dry red wine -- optional
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons molasses -- or brown sugar
    Red wine vinegar -- for the top
    Minced scallions -- for the top (optional)

Place the lentils and water in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and let cook until the lentils are mushy (about 45 minutes). Add more water as needed, until the soup is your favorite consistency.

Heat the oil or melt the butter in a medium-sized skillet. Add the onion, celery, and carrots, and sauté over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, 1 tsp. salt, pepper, and herbs of your choice, and sauté about 5 minutes longer. Transfer to the lentils.

Stir in the wine, if desired, the lemon juice and the molasses or brown sugar. Taste to correct seasonings, then simmer for at least 15 minutes longer. Serve hot, with a little vinegar drizzled onto each serving, and a sprinkling of minced scallions on top, if desired.

Source:
    "Moosewood"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 443 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (11% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 74g Carbohydrate; 2mg Cholesterol; 1856mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 2516 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

This is my favorite, a Wolfgang Puck recipe.

Lentil Soup

Lisa

This is a lentil soup I invented for New Year's Eve - to promote fortune for the coming year. The lentils resemble coins and it's a big Italian tradition to have Lentil Soup on New Year's Eve. My mother calling six times to remind me forced my hand and I raided the cupboard and fridge to assemble this. Keep in mind, we lived in southwest CO at the time and there was a LOAD of snow keeping us in the house. Couldn't get additional ingredients - so feel free to add to this soup if you like.

Cha-Ching Lentil Soup for New Year's

2 strips bacon
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
    1/2 zucchini, diced
    1/2 large russet potato, diced
    1/2 cup Red Lentils
    4 cups water
    1/4 t. concentrated stock such as "Better Than Boullion"*
    pinch salt
    Fresh ground pepper

Saute bacon to render some of its fat. Add chopped onion, cook five minutes, add pepper and zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add potato and cook another 5-6 minutes. While sauteeing, stir as needed. Add water and lentils salt and pepper, bring to a boil, lower flame and simmer 15 minutes.

These red lentils lend an almost cinnamon-y nutmeg-y flavor to the soup, which was a surprise to us. The smokiness of the bacon will counterbalance the sweetness of the lentils somewhat. If you would like to make this a vegetarian dish, substitute 2 tablespoons of olive oil for the bacon strips, but keep in mind the soup may be sweeter.

Husband's review, "I want VATS of that!!!"
    Daughter actually ate it - and at the time, she had a list of about 5 acceptable foods.

* Better Than Boullion, in my opinion, is the absolute best concentrated soup base on the market. We frequently used it at our restaurant when our own stock was used up and the new batch was on the stove. It's wonderful to keep in the fridge and comes in a variety of flavors. We have used the beef and chicken with excellent results. I recently saw lobster, mushroom and veggie - I can't wait to try those.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

This is yummy.......

from CL Jan/Feb 2002:

Lentil Stew with Ham and Greens

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup dried lentils
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    2 bay leaves
    3 cups chopped Swiss chard, collard greens, or spinach
    1 1/2 cups chopped baking potato
    1 cup chopped smoked ham
    1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

One of the best things about this supper--besides its great flavor--is that it can be ready in less than an hour, start to finish.

1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Add broth, lentils, carrot, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Add Swiss chard, potato, and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in tomatoes, basil, thyme, and pepper; simmer 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 1-1/2 cups).

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 186 Calories; 5g Fat (21.2% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

I can't remember who posted this soup originally, but it came off this BB just a few weeks ago. We loved it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Curried Lentil Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beans and Grains Make Ahead
    Soups and Stews Vegetarian
    Weeknight

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1 c. chopped onion
    1 1/4 tsp. curry powder
    7 c. water
    3/4 c. lentils
    2 tlbs. chopped fresh basil
    2 tlbs. balsamic vinegar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 can dices tomatoes undrained -- (14.5-ounce)
    1 c. wagon wheel pasta

1.Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 4 min. Add curry saute 1 min. Add water and lentils and bring to a boil. Cover: reduce heat. Simmer 40 min. or until lentils are tender.

2.Place 4 cups lentil mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Return mixture to pan. Add chopped basil, vinegar, salt and tomatoes (and pasta if you are using); cook until throughly heated through and the pasta is cooked. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 7, 1 cup servings

Note: We particularly liked this soup made with red lentils. However, they're smaller, cook in a much shorter time, and need less liquid, so adjust accordingly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 635 Calories; 11g Fat (15.0% calories from fat); 43g Protein; 97g Carbohydrate; 48g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1136mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat.
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

Lentil-Spinach Soup

This recipe comes from a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook I have. It is one of my favorite soup recipes of all time!

1 cup dry lentils
    1 medium onion, diced
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbs olive or canola oil
    4 cups water
    1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 vegetable bouillon cube
    1 Tbs worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspon fennel seed, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 bay leaf
    2 medium carrots, chopped
    1 handful chopped fresh spinach, or 1 10 oz package frozen
    1 Tbs balsamic vinegar

Rinse lentils; set aside. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in oil until tender but not brown. Stir in the lentils, water, tomatoes, bouillon granules, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, fennel seed, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add carrots and spinach. Bring to a boil, stir spinach well; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes more or until lentils are tender. Stir in vinegar. Discard bay leaf. Makes 4 servings.

The Better Homes and Gardens recipe looks like exactly what I was looking for! I'm going to give it a try.

Thank you to all who replied.
    Jennifer

Jennifer, please let me know if you like the BH&G recipe. I love Progresso's lentil soup too and would love to find a recipe that is similar.

I will certainly do that! Hopefully I will get around to making it today or tommorrow. I'll keep you posted.
    Jennifer

Aggie94,

I finally got around to trying the Better Homes and Gardens lentil soup...while it's not like Progresso's, it was pretty decent. I probably would have enjoyed it more, if I wasn't looking for something else. Does that make sense?

Anyhow....I'm still on my quest for the perfect lentil soup.

Thank you to all that replied!
    Jennifer

Jennifer,

I just saw your post. Sorry, I've been on the board only sporadically this month.

I'm disappointed to hear that the BH&G wasn't what you were looking for. I'm going to try the Wolfgang Puck recipe that Lisa posted a link to, but I might leave out the chicken meatballs. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I loove lentil soups and have never found one that I didn't like. I made this one last week from the December issue of Food and Wine and finished up the leftovers last night. I don't usually get Food & Wine but I happened to look at it at a friend's house and she was kind enough to give me the issue. I had been craving beans and greens and this hit the spot.

Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup
    makes 6 servings

1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
    4 cups water
    *4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
    salt
    3 T olive oil, plus more for serving (optional)
    1 lg. onion, finely chopped
    pinch of crushed red pepper
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
    1 bunch green Swiss chard (1 1/4 pounds), ribs removed and reserved for another use, leaves coarsely chopped
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    Freshly ground pepper

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils with the water, stock, and 1 1/2 t. of salt and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until the lentils are barely tender, about 25 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat the 3 T. of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, crushed pepper and a pinch of salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cilantro and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the chard leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted about 3 minutes.

3. Add the chard to the lentils, cover partially, and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, season with pepper and olive oil and serve.

One Serving: 231 calories, 10.5 gm total fat, 1 gm sat. fat. *I don't see why a vegetable stock couldn't be substituted for a vegetarian soup.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Aggie94, let me know how you like the soup. I have made it twice, the first time I made a substitution because I was out of something, of course the second time I made it as stated and I liked it the first time better, but can't remember what I did. I have made it without the meatballs, but they are really good. I don't do the yogurt garnish, but it is good also.

Hi, Jennifer!

There is a recipe in the newest EATING WELL magazine that looks and sounds delicious! I haven't made it yet, but I plan to!

LENTIL SOUP WITH PORCINI MUSHROOMS
    1 oz dried porcini mushrooms (1 cup)
    2 c warm water
    2 Tbls olive oil
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    4 tsps chopped fresh sage (approx 8 leaves)
    2 c French green lentils or brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
    7 c homemade chicken broth, or canned
    2 tsps balsamic vinegar
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 Tbls reduced fat sour cream or yogurt (optional)
    2 Tbls chopped fresh chives or parsley

Combine porcini and warm water in glass bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. Rinse mushrooms well under cold water, drain and chop. Strain reserved liquid through a coffee filter or paper towel to remove any sand or dirt.

Heat oil in dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion, celery and sage, cook, stirring often until onions begin to soften (2 - 3 minutes). Stir in lentils, broth, chopped porcini, and reserved mushroom liquid. Bring soup to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 35 - 45 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Season with pepper.

Transfer about 1/3 of soup to blender or food processor and process till smoooth. Return the pureed soup to the pot, stir well to combine, and heat through. Garnish eah serving with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt) and a sprinkling of chives or parsley.

YIELD: 7 servings (1 generous cup each)
    Calories: 260
    FAT: 5 gms
    Fiber: 14 grams

In the photo, it looks wonderful!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Lisa,

Thanks again for the link to the Wolfgang Puck lentil soup recipe. I made it tonight (sans meatballs and garnish) and it was delicious!