Community Message Boards

Thread: What would you dip your pretzel in?

What would you dip your pretzel in?

I've been on a quest to perfect the perfect pretzel - I'm still experimenting. But, what would you dip your pretzel in if you had your choice?

Re: What would you dip your pretzel in?

Originally posted by yomomma
    I've been on a quest to perfect the perfect pretzel - I'm still experimenting. But, what would you dip your pretzel in if you had your choice?
    Chocolate, of course. The darker, the better - and I like my pretzel with lots of coarse salt in this case.

If we're talking savory, I love pretzels with ranch dressing. It's horrible, I know ...
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Chocolate Raspberry Dip

Yes, I was at a gourmet cooking store the other day and they had a jar of a chocolate raspberry dip that they were offering with their pretzels. I furrowed my brow, thought to myself "those two things would never match", tasted it at my 8 year old's request (she had already tasted it and told me that it tasted like the raspberry filled chocolates that she knows I love), and it was yummy. So....that's what my first choice would be!

Dark Chocolate for me too....
    or mustard
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Honey mustard. I made Patti's hot mustard and had soft pretzels with it...and it was outstanding!!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Caramel, then chocolate, then sprinkled with nuts- just how Trader Joe's makes their "Sticks in the Mud."

I should know since I ate a whole tub that was intended as a gift for my neighbors...

Thumbs down Oh, you people who do salt & sweet!

ICK!

I'm sorry, but DS just made a bag of Orville Redenbacker's Kettle Corn and we dumped it in the garbage! I had thought kettle corn was just a more savory version of popcorn and bought a box last week. We all thought it was GROSS. I've never been a fan of the sweet/salt combo, so it goes with the territory.

Therefore, my favorite condiment to dip pretzels in is McIlheney's mustard. Hummus is a very close second.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I would probably go for a garlic-butter sauce!
    Sarah

Off the top of my head, my first choice is chocolate, preferably dark.

But the caramel-chocolate combination would be really good as well!

JackieO - sorry you didn't like the Kettle Corn. I've had the microwave version and I don't think it compares at all to the real thing. If I can't have it freshly made, in a real kettle, then I don't want to eat it!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Mustard or chocolate. But I love cinnamon covered pretzels too.

~emilie
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

I have a good many Utz pretzel rods leftover from the holidays. I'm hosting Bunco at my house this week and would LOVE to come up with a dip or two that would be good with them. The dip could be hot or cold. While searching the internet, I've found lots of dips that specify veggies, crackers, nachos, etc....but I've had a hard time finding much beyond Rothsbury's Raspberry Mustard Sauce for pretzels. I'd rather not spend $5 on a jar of mustard just to get rid of the pretzels.

Would a ranch dip work with pretzels? (MKSquared -- do you use just one of the Ranch mixes???) How about something cheesy??

Any suggestions?????? Thanks!!!

Originally posted by Melman
    Would a ranch dip work with pretzels? (MKSquared -- do you use just one of the Ranch mixes???) How about something cheesy??
    Any suggestions?????? Thanks!!!
    I've been known to use bottled ranch dressing, even. A ranch mix - or one you make up yourself - would be good, I'm sure. As for the cheese ... well, I'm the anticheese, so I'm no help there.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

The anticheese? I must have missed that. I laughed out loud when I read it.

Thanks for the Ranch comments though. I have a spice blend I bought at a craft show that's a Ranch variety. I think I'll make that for sure.

I'm also considering Alton Brown's honey mustard dip as a separate dip.

I am a mustard/pretzel gal myself, but I have been known to indulge in a cinammon/glaze conconction on occasion. Have fun.
    TeriK

Tribe of Two Shieks 40 Spices Hummus. Yum!

Mustard would be second choice.

Does anyone have a recipe for soft pretzels?
    Sarah

MUSTARD!

Originally posted by sarah2397

Does anyone have a recipe for soft pretzels?
    sarah,

here is a link

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...light=pretzels

val

I love to dip my pretzels in Maries Blue Cheese salad dressing. It's wicked good.

I think my fav is Jezebel Sauce - found the recipe on a thread on this site. It's a horseradish, hot mustard & apple jelly concoction.

Have you ever tried Ranch Dressing? I love it.
    Lori

Here's a cheese spread that I think would be really yummy with pretzels. I think it came from Taste of Home a few years ago. I suggest making it in a KitchenAid mixer -- if you don't have one, make sure to let everything get really soft, otherwise it's tough to mix!

Fireside Cheese Spread

1 container (16 oz.) cheddar cheese spread, softened
    2 pkgs (one 8 oz & one 3 oz) cream cheese, softened
    3 Tbls butter or margarine, softened
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    Paprika
    Snipped fresh parsley
    Assorted crackers

In a medium bowl, combine cheese spread, cream cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Blend thoroughly. Chill at least 3 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Serve with crackers. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.

I love chocolate-dipped pretzels. But my favorite pretzel dip is a raspberry honey mustard dip I found in some gourmet store a few years ago. Whenever I see it I buy a jar, but I can't for the life of me remember the brand name!

Originally posted by gertdog
    But my favorite pretzel dip is a raspberry honey mustard dip I found in some gourmet store a few years ago.
    I'm with you on the raspberry mustard - and I can't remember the name either! I'll have to check on that...
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Ummm that raspberry honey mustard dip really sounds wonderful. Anyone have a recipe?

Last month I made chocolate (bread dough) pretzels- a recipe that I still need to tweek, but the dipping sauce - chocolate syrup & Bailey's Irish Cream - was yummy.

A friend of mine brought a delicious Beer Pretzel Dip to a party I recently attended and I really loved it. It sounds weird, but has been very popular at subsequent gatherings where I've taken it.

Beer Pretzel Dip

1/2 can of beer (or less depending upon how strong you want the beer taste to be - the type of beer you use also affects this)
    2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese (softened) - I use light
    1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing/dip mix
    Finely chopped onions to taste (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup)

I also love hummus on my pretzels as others have suggested. Good luck.

Don't forget peanut butter!
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

Originally posted by yomomma
    Ummm that raspberry honey mustard dip really sounds wonderful. Anyone have a recipe?
    No recipe, but I did remember the name of the company. It's Robert Rothchild foods. It's good, tangy stuff!

count me in as another vote for the raspberry-honey mustard pretzel dip. I got my dad hooked on it too!

Jennifer