Community Message Boards

Thread: Cuts of Beef - what can I use for roast?

Post Cuts of Beef - what can I use for roast?

Hi there! All the Christmas Eve menu's from another thread look so tasty.

My FIL sometimes does a rib roast but it always seems too fatty - so I want to do another kind of beef roast with a little less fat.

So, here's my question. I've seen recipes for beef roasts in CL but they all call for a tenderloin of beef. The only smallish and lean looking beef roast that I've seen at the market is a sirloin tip roast or top loin roast - what is the difference in these cuts and can i roast with them interchangably or would only the elusive tenderloin work?

Thanks,
    Susan

Hi Susan,

I'm not familiar with a top loin roast, but I do know what a Sirloin Tip Roast is and I would caution you to be sure that's what you want before you cook it.

It tends to be on the tough side as it comes from the round. Actually I think it's supposed to be between the round and the sirloin, but it's more like the round.

If you plan to use that kind of meat for a roast you will need one heck of a recipe to make it tender and tasty.

A Standing Rib Roast may have a bit more fat on it but that will be one tasty roast.

My advise is to get next to a good butcher for good advise and be willing to spend a good price per pound for some good meat.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed (edited 12-08-2000).]

Hi, Susan, my favorite beef Roast is what's labeled (here in Ohio) a Regal Rump Roast. I don't know what's so regal about it but it cooks up great. I poke holes in it and add slivers of garlic and then season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders and paprika and then roast at 325 for 20 to 25 minutes a pound.
    Originally posted by SusanJoy:
    Hi there! All the Christmas Eve menu's from another thread look so tasty.

My FIL sometimes does a rib roast but it always seems too fatty - so I want to do another kind of beef roast with a little less fat.

So, here's my question. I've seen recipes for beef roasts in CL but they all call for a tenderloin of beef. The only smallish and lean looking beef roast that I've seen at the market is a sirloin tip roast or top loin roast - what is the difference in these cuts and can i roast with them interchangably or would only the elusive tenderloin work?

Thanks,
    Susan

I would use the tenderloin. It's nothing but filet mignon that hasn't been cut into individual steaks. It's probably "elusive" because they are typically expensive and not many people buy them, so they don't put them out. But if you ask your butcher, I guarantee you they have them in the back. Tell them you want it whole, and to remove the silverskin for you if they will. Depending on the grade of beef, it'll probably be anywhere from $8 to say $14 a pound? But it's WORTH IT!! This is what we're having for Christmas dinner. Oh, and they have next to no fat on them.

If you're looking for an everyday roast (my husband likes a simple roast with mashed potatoes and gravy), ask the butcher which cut he recommends for that. They know which ones work best for roasting. Hope that helps!

[This message has been edited by Grace (edited 12-08-2000).]

I have used eye of round very successfully as a regular roast beef. It is tender and has next to no fat.

After the standing rib roast my roasting guide list the following for excellent cuts to roast with:
    Tenderloin
    Delmonico (from the Rib Eye)
    And If High Quality Meat:
    Standing Rump
    Rolled Rump and Sirloin Tip