Community Message Boards

Thread: What's YOUR favorite holiday office party pot-luck dish?

What's YOUR favorite holiday office party pot-luck dish?

I am just completely at a loss for what to bring to the office pot-luck luncheon. Obviously, I want to do something impressive and tasty, but I want it to be light (at least mostly light).

I am probably leaning toward doing a main dish kind of thing. Nice presentation wouldn't hurt either. I believe there should be around 50 people in attendance.

Thanks in advance.

My personal favorite are the salads one of my co-worker brings always with a homemade dressing made from some herb or fruit infused vinegar she made. Second runner up would be the homemade dumplings/pot stickers my co-worker from China brings.

But you probably mean what do I like to bring, right? I always try to mix it up and in 6 years with approx. 4 potlucks per year I don't think I have ever repeated. For Christmas I think I am making a flan or fudge. Other entries have included shreadded BBQ chicken (just cooked a whole chicken in crock pot with 1 sliced onion and 1/2 bottle BBQ sauce) with buns, fruit salad, white chocolate bread pudding, spinach and artichoke dip, taco dip, asian cole slaw, potato salad, Italian sausage with peppers and onions, a HUGE tray of roasted veggies, deviled eggs, brownies and I am sure some things I am fogetting. Of all the things listed here the biggest hits were the Spinach & Artichoke dip (made w/ FF sour cream & cream cheese and no one knew), fruit salad, roasted veggies and the Italian sausage and peppers.

Hope this helps
    -ram

How about one of those cream cheese/veggie snack tray things....I don't know what its called. You use refridgerated cresent rolls, cream cheese, dill and chopped misc veggies on top. Oh, and bake the crust first.

Maybe someone here on the boards has the recipe. This dish is very addicting!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Potluck ideas

How about turkey meatballs, chili, vegetarian lasagne, spinach balls, quiche, frittata or baked ziti??

Or a strata? They're not "gourmet looking" if that's what you're after, but they're good, warm, homey dishes that are easy to pre-prepare and transport to work. And CL has some great unusual recipes that might fit your need for something different. If you're interested, I have a great Cooking Light recipe for Sourdough Pumpkin Strata -- I made it for my cookie exchange this weekend and everyone loved it!

susan- we call that veggie pizza ... mmm! good idea!

Here's a recipe for a Veggie Pizza, originally from Pampered Chef. Obviously, I didn't put in a number of servings (again), so the calories per serving look ridiculous.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cool Veggie Pizza

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 package refrigerated crescent rolls
    8 ounces cream cheese
    1 teaspoon Pampered Chef Dill Mix
    2 cups vegetables of choice, chopped
    Vegetables for Garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unroll crescent dough; separate into 8 triangles. On Round Stone, arrange triangles in a circle with points in the center and wide ends toward the outside. Using lightly floured Baker's Roller, roll out dough to a circle, pressing seams together to seal. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely.

In Classic Batter Bowl, combine cream cheese and dill mix. Mix with Classic Scraper. Spread cheese mixture evenly over top of crust.

To prepare vegetables, slice, dice, or coarsely chop your choice of broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, tomato, green onion, or carrots. Crinkle cut carrot, zucchini or yellow squash with Crinkle Cutter. Slice mushrooms with Egg Cutter Plus.

Sprinkle chopped vegetables over top of pizza. Arrange crinkle cut and sliced vegetables decoratively. Cut into squares with Pizza Cutter; serve using Mini-Serving Spatula.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 792 Calories; 79g Fat (88.5% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 249mg Cholesterol; 670mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 14 1/2 Fat.
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

I have a cheddar-apple-ham bake that is delicious! It is a crustless quiche. Let me know if you want the recipe!

potluck ideas

I have a potluck next week, but my challenge is that there is no oven here at work. I need something that I can make in a crock pot or serve cold. Any ideas for that?

Re: potluck ideas

Originally posted by cvelting
    I have a potluck next week, but my challenge is that there is no oven here at work. I need something that I can make in a crock pot or serve cold. Any ideas for that?
    Peanutty noodle type dishes are good cold. But some people wouldn't go for that. Here is a recipe, just in case you are interested.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken and Noodles with Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. May 2002. Page: 174.
    Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    5 ounces uncooked Japanese curly noodles (chucka
    soba)
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/3 cup hoisin sauce
    1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
    1 pound chicken breast tenders
    1 1/2 cups red bell pepper strips
    1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as
    Spice World)
    1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided

Directions.
    A thick peanut sauce makes this dish rich and satisfying. It's great served at room temperature or cold; add a touch of warm water to loosen the noodles if serving cold.

Total time: 30 minutes

1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.

2. Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through crushed red pepper) in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.

3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken; saute 4 minutes. Add bell pepper; saute 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine chicken mixture and noodles in a large bowl.

4. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook 15 seconds. Stir in broth mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the broth mixture and 1/4 cup green onions to noodle mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup green onions. Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup).

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I actually decided to make a grilled vegetable platter based on Ramson's suggestions. It is going to be a hit, I hope. Not sure how nice it will be here in DC tomorrow for my grilling extravaganza - may wind up being a broiled vegetable platter

Thanks again, everyone!

Val and I think alike! I signed up to bring Peanutty Noodles to our office potluck lunch. I figure they're different, taste great, and can be served warm or cold.