Community Message Boards

Thread: Beef Tenderloin Serving Size Question

Beef Tenderloin Serving Size Question

We're having company Saturday night and I'm planning to make the Beef Tenderloin with Horseradish Crust. I believe the recipe says a 3 pound tenderloin serves 6. My situation is, we'll have 8 people here, 4 of whom will be big guys with large appetites.

Should I get 2 tenderloins @ 3 lbs each? Or a larger tenderloin? Or would it not cook as well if it's just one bigger tenderloin?

TIA! Sue
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I guess it would depend what's more important to you.....serve as much as the guys would eat if they were in a restaurant, or serve as much as they SHOULD eat to be healthy. I would think 8 oz. tenderloins (which would mean you'd go for 4 lbs.) would be more than enough, as some of the lighter eaters might eat less, but 8 oz. is certainly a good (and more than healthy serving). Still not like the 16 oz. steaks they serve in some restaurants, but plenty. Or, stick with the 3 lb. (6 oz. average, which is still more than anyone SHOULD eat) and have appetizers, then salad, then serve it with potato and vegetables, and follow with dessert. I doubt anyone would leave hungry.
    And yes, if you go bigger than 3 lbs, you'll want to cook it longer---the butcher should be able to advise you (or Joy of Cooking!)

I just served beef tenderloin to eight people - four of which were guys. I bought a five pound roast (oh my gosh I almost died when the butcher put the price tag of $100.00 on it. I was laughing with the check out ladies that there is no pressure on me to cook it correctly!)

Five pounds was perfect - although I thought it would be way too much. We had one thick slice left for yummy sandwiches the next day. The one tenderloin was fine. I cut it in half and the smaller section was done before the thicker section. You could do two raosts or one. It would not have mattered in my case.

By the way it took over an hour to cook a five pound roast - way longer than the recipe I had said.

It was so yummy and got rave reviews and was worth the money for a special occassion.

Suzi

Buy extra, if it's in your budget. This stuff is incredible leftover.

Holy Cow!!I had no idea that tenderloin would be that expensive!

Anyway, thanks for your input. I probably will get a larger cut, based on your comments about leftovers. These are 3 couples that are close friends of ours, so I will splurge!
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Re: Beef Tenderloin Serving Size Question

Originally posted by SueK
    I believe the recipe says a 3 pound tenderloin serves 6.
    I think this is wrong.

Is the below recipe the one you are making? I did this for 6 and only got a 2lb tenderloin. I didn't have any leftovers, but everyone had enough. One person asked for seconds. I paid $14.99 per pound for the tenderloin. If the guys are big eaters then just make the recipe as written. You'll get 4 extra servings. That would be about $65-70 for the meat. It is delcious!

YIELD: 12 servings (serving size: 3 ounces)

Beef Tenderloin with Horseradish-and-Roasted Garlic Crust

This flavorful entree is elegant enough for a dinner party or holiday meal. Try
    serving the robust dish with a side of mashed potatoes.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 whole garlic head
    Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
    1/3 cup prepared horseradish
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (3-pound) beef tenderloin

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Coat with
    cooking spray; wrap in foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves;
    squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Mash garlic pulp, horseradish, salt, basil, thyme,
    and pepper with a fork until blended.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Trim fat from tenderloin; fold under 3 inches of small end. Rub garlic mixture over roast. Place
    tenderloin on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Insert meat thermometer into thickest
    portion of tenderloin. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until thermometer registers 145
    degrees (medium-rare) to 160 degrees (medium).

Place tenderloin on a platter. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    calories: 179 carbohydrates: 2.5 g cholesterol: 70 mg fat: 7.5 g sodium: 117 mg protein: 24 g
    calcium: 22 mg iron: 3.3 mg fiber: 0.2 g

YIELD:
    12 servings (serving size: 3 ounces)

PREP TIME:
    10 minutes

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    1 hour, 40 minutes
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I just priced it here at $27 per pound

Thank goodness for CL portions, 2 for DH and 1 for me
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Thanks Leigh. Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. I doubt the women will eat much meat at all, but last time we had everyone over in the spring I grilled steaks and we didn't have any left---and this was after I bought way more than I thought we'd need. So now I'm paranoid about having enough food.

Guess I'll be trekking over to Wegman's this week to check out their meat prices! And taking out a second mortage.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Originally posted by greysangel
    OMG!! The $14.99 was from my regular grocery store. Harry's was $17.99 and I thought that was high!

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Thank goodness for CL portions, 2 for DH and 1 for me
    I just paid $24.99 a lb for a center cut, already trimmed tenderloin (butcher called it a Chateaubriand, but I've read that that is a method of preparation, not a cut of meat...). The tenderloin w/sinew and fat-n-stuff was $18.99/lb. I figured by the time I trimmed it down and removed the silver skin and fat I'd be paying almost the same amount per pound (this is how I justified it, anyway ).

I got 2 1/2 lbs of Chateaubriand for 5 people, but I may have 7 people total...hope 2 1/2 lbs is enough (I plan on making app, salad or soup, entreee w/sides, and dessert, maybe a cheese plate, too, and lots of wine). My trick is to slice it pretty thin---it looks like more on the plate.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

By the way, and totally off the topic, I finally get to use my good china for Christmas dinner!!!! I just realized that and now I think I may have to go buy a new tablecloth. I'm really happy about getting to use the good plates! I feel so grown up (ok, I feel like I'm playing grown-up, but still).
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I really suggest calling around. Yes, it's a very expensive cut of meat, but even for New York, that seems pretty high.

Two years ago, I was going to make the pepper-crusted beef tenderloin with horseradish sauce for my Supper Club. I found out it was around $15.99 a pound and didn't think there was any way I could do that. Then I found a local butcher (Danvers Butchery for anyone in MA) that sells to the public. It was only about $9.99 a pound, and was excellent.

Egads. I can get it for $7.99 a pound, on sale, at a reputable butcher where I buy meat (not a run-of-the-mill grocery store where I will not buy meat!)

If I ever see someone walk away after eating 3 oz. of this stuff, I would be amazed.........

Originally posted by SandyM
    Egads. I can get it for $7.99 a pound, on sale, at a reputable butcher where I buy meat (not a run-of-the-mill grocery store where I will not buy meat!)

If I ever see someone walk away after eating 3 oz. of this stuff, I would be amazed.........
    More egads.....

I just walked over to the grocery store to get a cup of decaf and picked up a Wacky Wednesday flyer. One of the specials is beef tenderloin, whole or half, for $3.98 a pound!!

I think I'll have to get one before I head home today....
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Originally posted by SandyM

Wow! That's a steal. I've checked prices at just about every grocery store in our area (we love tenderloin) and it runs from $12.99 a pound to $14.99 a pound.

Thanks to everyone for your input. We had this last night and it was wonderful! I also got a deal at Wegmans for only $7.99 per pound.

I bought 5 pounds, envisioning lots of leftovers, and we only have about a 2" slab left!
    Thanks again!
    - Wendy W - CLBB