Community Message Boards

Thread: candy recipes using white chips

Question candy recipes using white chips

I have an abundance of white chips and I am looking for a recipe that will make use of them. I would prefer to have a candy recipe. I have made the orange creamsicle fudge (which I love) but I am looking to try something new. The recipe could be for fudge or for another type of candy or for a snack mix.

Thanks in advance!

Val

Val did you try the tiger butter, I just bought a whole bunch of white chocolate and I plan to make the pumpkin pie biscotti, the tiger butter and the oatmeal cranberry white chocolate chunk cookies that Kari posted, that can use chips or chunks. Dont know whether you are looking for candy recipes specifically but this is what is on my line up using white chocolate.

Terri
    There is no such thing as a "self made man". We are made up of thousands of others. Anyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.

Val, this one uses a bag of white chips. These are good and easy. I make small, thin patties... they look great dipped in the chocolate, or you can drizzle the chocolate over the tops.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mint Meltaways

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Candy

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    5 oz. starlight mints
    12 oz. vanilla chips or white chocolate chips
    3 T. vegetable shortening -- divided
    red food coloring
    splash peppermint extract
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate

Melt the vanilla chips with 2 tablespoons of the vegetable shortening. You can do this in the microwave, in a microwave-safe bowl, set on MED-HIGH for 1 minute. Stir and microwave again until melted. Stir in crushed mints and a few drops of red food coloring. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Smooth the tops of the candies. Refrigerate 1/2 hour or until set.

Melt the chocolate with the remaining shortening. Dip half of each mint patty into the chocolate and place on wax paper. Let stand until set, at least 1 hour.

NOTE: To crush the mints, I unwrap them and place in a large ziplock bag. I then take them outside and place them on the driveway with a kitchen towel underneath. I use a hammer to smack and crush the mints. It's noisy but effective!

Source:
    "Parents magazine"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 6143 Calories; 653g Fat (94.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 81g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 14mg Sodium. Exchanges: 130 1/2 Fat; 5 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

Terri,

I forgot to mention that I did try the tiger butter! I tried one of the recipes sneezles posted. It was really great. Then I looked up that recipe in the December issue of BA that you mentioned and saw that it was more complex and included crushed peanut brittle. That sounded really good to me. Maybe a combination of the recipe posted by sneezles (for its simplicity) and the BA recipe (for its peanut brittle) would be nice if you want to give it a try.

Val

p.s. I am looking specifically for candy recipes using white chips. I am up to my ears in cookie/bar recipes.

I use the white chips to make my peppermint bark. I cheat, I use the microwave, peppermint extract and crushed candy canes.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Glad you liked the tiger butter, I saw white chcolate truffles that look really good, I dont see why you couldnt replace the squares with the chips. Here is two recipes:

Recipe(tried): WHITE-CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
    Posted By: Sara in IL
    Date: October 27, 1998
    Board: recipelink.com Holiday Cooking Club

1/3 c. heavy cream
    1 tsp. fresh grated lemon rind
    8 oz. white chocolate, chopped
    1 T. unsalted butter
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/3 c. confectioners’ sugar OR 12 oz. white chocolate, melted for coating

In medium-size saucepan, heat cream and lemon rind until mixture begins to simmer. Remove from heat, stir in chopped white chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes. Add butter and vanilla, stir until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. By rounded measuring teaspoonfuls, scoop mixture onto waxed paper. Roll into balls, coating hands with confectioner’s sugar, if needed. Roll in confectioner’s sugar to coat or dip into melted white chocolate. Chill covered for at least 2 hours.

Makes 24 candies

White Chocolate Coffee Truffles *

3/4 cup Whipping cream
    1 tbs Instant coffee crystals
    14 oz White chocolate, finely chopped
    2 tbs Kahlua
    Dip:
    1 lb White chocolate, finely chopped
    2 tsp Vegetable oil
    3 tbs Chocolate covered coffee beans, finely chopped

For the truffles: bring the cream and the coffee powder to a boil in a medium saucepan.
    Pour over the chocolate and whisk until completely melted. Add the Kahlua.
    Refrigerate until chilled and firm
    Use a teaspoon and place pieces of the chocolate onto a foil lined baking sheet.
    Roll into balls and refrigerate again for about half an hour
    For the dipping chocolate: in a double boiler, place the chocolate and oil and heat until melted.
    Continue to stir until the chocolate has cooled to 90 degrees.
    Dip each cold candy centre into the melted chocolate (coat completely).
    Place on a foil baking sheet. Top each with a bit of the crushed chocolate coffee beans
    Let the candies set for about 2 hours before storing in the fridge.
    If the centers melt through, you may need to re-dip.
    Author Unknown
    There is no such thing as a "self made man". We are made up of thousands of others. Anyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.

How about this

From Bon Appetit – December 2002 issue

WHITE CHRISTMAS FUDGE

Makes 36 squares

2 ½ cups Domino confectioners sugar
    2/3 cups milk
    ¼ cup butter or margarine
    12 oz white chocolate, coarsely chopped
    ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
    ¾ cup dried cherries, cranberries or apricots, coarsely chopped
    ¾ cup toasted almond slices

Line an 8-inch square pan with foil; grease foil. Mix confectioners sugar and milk in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Over medium heat, add butter and, stirring constantly, bring to boil. Without stirring, boil constantly for 5 minutes.

Over low heat, add chocolate and almond extract. Stir, then whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in dried cherries and toasted almonds. Pour mixture into prepared pan.

Refrigerate 2 hours until firm. Invert pan, peel off foil and cut into 1-inch squares. Garnish as desired.

Is white chocolate the same as white chips?

PRETZEL CANDY
    1 1/2 c. white chocolate
    3/4 c. broken pretzel sticks
    3/4 c. dry roasted nuts

Melt white chocolate in microwave. Stir in pretzels and peanuts. Pour out on cookie sheet. Freeze 10 minutes. Break apart.

Not exactly a "recipe" but...

Last year I "inherited" a bunch of good quality white chocolate along with the advice to just melt it down, add a bunch of salted whole almonds and spread onto a cookie sheet (I would use my Silpat for this...I think I used buttered foil last year). Break into desired size pieces. This was really simple and very tasty. It was also a nice change from all the cookies I put in my tins.

Jane

I just found these while looking through holiday recipes, thought you might be interested.

Kari

WHITE CHOCOLATE PARTY MIX

1 lb. white chocolate (can substitute
    white candy coating)
    3 C. Chex Corn cereal
    2 C. pretzel sticks
    12 oz. M&M's (use red, green and
    white holiday variety for holidays)
    3 C. Chex Rice cereal
    3 C. Cheerios
    2 C. dry roasted peanuts

Slowly melt white chocolate in double boiler over simmering water. Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Slowly pour chocolate over mixture and stir to evenly coat. Spread minute on was paper and cool.

Break into small pieces. Store in airtight container and refrigerate to keep fresh.

NOTE: If you don't want all the left over cereal and pretzels when you get done, just whip up a batch of Chex Mix.

PINK PEPPERMINT HOLIDAY FUDGE

Posted by Cookin’Mom at recipegoldmine.com on 11/16/2001, 10:08 am

Source: HomeArts for the Holidays

Everyone will love digging into these pretty packages of pink. And you'll love making them - the recipe is of the easy, no-candy-thermometer-needed variety. Store in the refrigerator up to one month.

15 broken small candy canes
    1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 C. (1/2 stick) butter
    16 oz. white chocolate (chips or coarsely chopped bars)
    1 tsp. peppermint extract (I use only 1/2 tsp.)
    8 to 10 drops red food color

Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil. (They didn't say to butter the foil but I did)

Put candy canes in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, seal and coarsely crush with a mallet or the bottom of a heavy can - you should have a scant 1/2 cup.

In a medium saucepan, combine condensed milk and butter over low heat, stirring until butter melts and mixture is simmering. Remove from heat, add white chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Add peppermint extract and food color, stir until blended. Stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the crushed mint candies.

Spread in the pan and sprinkle top with remaining crushed mint candies. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm. Invert pan onto a cutting board and peel off foil. Turn over and cut fudge into 1-inch squares. Roll into balls.

Note: After making the balls, barely melt semi-sweet chocolate chips. Use toothpick inserted into balls and dip into chocolate. Let cool to firm up. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

OK, this may sound strange, but it's really good. And believe it or not the white chocolate covered Fritos are the best part!

White Chocolate Snack Mix

Recipe By :
    Categories : Appetizer/Snack

3 cups Fritos
    2 cups mini pretzel twists
    2 cups Chex or Crispix cereal
    1 cup M&M's -- peanut or plain
    1/2 cup cashews -- optional
    1 package white chocolate chips -- (11 or 12 oz., I used Ghirardelli)

Mix 1st five ingredients in a large bowl.

Melt chips in the microwave according to pkg. directions. (If desired, add 1 T. oil or shortening to the chocolate when you melt it. This will make it smoother and easier to pour.)

Pour over snack mix and stir well.

Pour out onto wax paper or parchment paper lined cookie sheets to dry.

Store in airtight container.

NOTES : Measurements are approximate.

Stepahnie, those mint patties sound really great. the peppermint bark sounds great too, Susan. I have always wanted to try that. too bad DH doesn't like mint stuff. Well, I guess I could make it anyway.

Terri, those truffles sound really yummy. but I have a feeling they would be oh so much better with real white chocolate. I wouldn't want to make them with white chips. Mom, I think the same goes for those two recipes you posted. I think that you can substitute white chips for realy white chocolate, but I know the recipe just wouldn't be nearly as good. The christmas fudge and pretzel candy would be great, I think. Oh yeah, this goes for your "recipe" too, Jane. Maybe I should buy myself some real white chocolate!

Kari, I was just doing a search for peppermint fudge on another website before I posted this thread. I was thinking that might be a good way to use them. I didn't find a good recipe. That one looks great. Again, there is the mint issue with DH though.

Both the snack mixes sound really great too. Linda, I love salty/sweet so white chips on fritos sounds good to me!

Hmmmm....
    not sure what to do now. so many great ideas!

any others?

How about the white chocolate coated peanut butter Ritz bits that I posted recently? They should be fine with white chips. I used white Merkens confectionary coating (wafers) and it came out really good.

Jane

oh, Jane, that is right!! I actually put the PB Ritz on my grocery list to make them. I also put "white chocolate" on my list, but I think you are right. This isn't a real "gourmet" treat like fudge or truffles, so I think the white chips will work fine.

I have 3 bags of white chips, so I think I will use one bag for that. I am still considering my options for the other 2 bags.

I forgot about this recipe. These are actually really tasty and I thought they did taste similar to a butterfingers. I bet you could use the chips for these.

Mock Butterfingers

Recipe By :
    Categories : Candy , Cookies/Brownies

Wheat Thins crackers or "Original" Wheatables
    creamy peanut butter
    1 pkg. almond bark (white or chocolate)--I used the white

Melt almond bark in a heavy pan on low, stirring ocassionally until melted completely.

Meanwhile, spread peanut butter on one side of wheat cracker and place another cracker on top, like a sandwich.

Dip them in the melted almond bark (I used small tongs), shaking off excess chocolate.

Place on foil sprayed with Pam. Let dry.

NOTES : I sprinkled multi-colored sprinkles on them while they were still wet.

Linda, that sounds good, too. almost like a homemade version of what Jane was talking about. I remember seeing that recipe on your website and thinking that I might like to try it. thanks. Val

That's just like how my recipe started out

The first time I had them, they were made by sandwiching 2 regular-sized Ritz crackers together with peanut butter. I just use the Ritz Bits because:
    1) it's easier, and I'm lazy by the time I get to these treats
    2) They look more delicate
    3) They provide better "fill" to the nooks and crannies of my cookie tins.

Jane

P.S. Val, what were you doing up so early...did Julia need something?

Re: That's just like how my recipe started out

Originally posted by JaneStarr
    P.S. Val, what were you doing up so early...did Julia need something?
    LOL!

Julia would not go back to sleep after she nursed at 3 am. I sat in the dark room with her for what seemed like forever but she wouldn't go back to sleep.

p.s. the mini ritz are a great idea, I must admit, for this type of recipe. easy and bite sized!

Val I'm sure this is obvious, but also not a great time of year for strawberries....Anyway if you can find some that are decent looking and you wouldn't have to sell Julia to afford them. I made the dipped strawberries that someone listed around the 4th of July. After I dipped them in white chocolate I rolled them in blue sugar. They were a huge hit everywhere I took them. This time of year I'd use red or green sugar...maybe even yellow.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Malt Balls!

Malted Milk Candy

1 cup white chocolate (I used 8 oz to make sure I had enough)
    1 cup malted milk powder
    12 oz semi-sweet or milk chocolate, melted
    Melt white chocolate and mix in malted milk powder. Shape into 1" balls(mine ended up "patties"--didn't hold the ball shape.) Chill for 2 hours.
    Dip in melted chocolate and allow to set.

Peggy, that may have been obvious, but I didn't think of it. good idea. I am sure that if I showed DH this thread, that is the recipe he would want me to make.

Anna, that is yet another recipe I really want to try. I love malted milk balls and I have malted milk powder kicking around that I would like to use. Thanks!

p.s. anna, do you have to store those in the fridge?

Val you are probably right about the quality of chocolate being important in the truffles and fudge, better to be safe then sorry. I found a fudge recipe that calls for chips, obviously since the recipe is by hersheys they suggest their chips:

WHITE ALMOND FUDGE
    10 Ounces Premier White Chips (Hershey's)
    2/3 Cup Sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
    1-1/2 Cups Chopped slivered almonds (coarsely chopped) toasted*
    1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla extract

Line 8-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. In medium saucepan over very low heat, melt white chips and sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in almonds and vanilla. Spread into prepared pan. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Use foil to lift fudge out of pan; peel off foil. Cut fudge into squares. About 3 dozen pieces or 1-1/2 pounds fudge.

* To toast almonds: Spread almonds on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned; cool.

Source: Hershey's Kitchens

This looks interesting too with cream cheese:
    White Chocolate Fudge
    Ingredients

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
    4 cups sifted powdered sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    12 oz. white chocolate chips, melted
    3/4 cup pecans

Preparations

Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer unti smooth; gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating well. Stir in white chocolate and pecans. Spread into a buttered 8 inch square pan; refrigerate until firm. Cut into small squares.

Yields: 2 lbs.

This one looks great too using the chips versus the squares:

Click 'Back'/Click on Recipe Index: Fudge
    White Chocolate-Cherry Almond Fudge

1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup milk (whole)
    1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter or margarine (not spread)
    1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (vanilla chips)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
    1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries

Line a 8" square pan with foil; grease foil.

Mix sugar and milk in a heavy 3 quart saucepan. Add butter and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Without stirring, boil vigorously 5 min. Remove from heat. Add chips and vanilla. Stir, then whisk until chips melt and mixture is smooth. Stir in almonds and cherries; spread in prepared pan. Refrigerate 6 hours until firm. Invert pan, peel off foil, invert fudge and cut in 1" squares.

Terri

Originally posted by valchemist
    Peggy, that may have been obvious, but I didn't think of it. good idea. I am sure that if I showed DH this thread, that is the recipe he would want me to make.

Anna, that is yet another recipe I really want to try. I love malted milk balls and I have malted milk powder kicking around that I would like to use. Thanks!

p.s. anna, do you have to store those in the fridge?
    No. You can leave them out. The only thing that might happen is the chocolate coating could get a litte soft. If you add parafin (sp?) that will help the coating stay put and give it some shine.

I had a really fun time making these last year. It's kind of hard to form them into balls, but Whopper patties are still yummy.

Yet more recipes that have to be tried. I want to know who is going to eat all this candy I am making? I did 2 kinds last night and just thought I was done with the candies.

I made these last night. They DO taste like Whoppers (which I truely love). I did add a little extra malt powder, so they would be balls instead of patties, and they turned out just fine. This absolutely the last candy I am making....until someone post something I just have to try.

I will definitely be making these malt balls someday.

but I used up all my white chips for now.

I made the white chocolate dipped ritz bitz mentioned above by Jane. I posted my review on the thread where she gave the "recipe." They are excellent.

I also created my own version of white fudge -- I made the fantasy fudge recipe but I used white chips instead of semisweet chips. I baked some double chocolate cookies (the recipe anna gave for cookies in a jar - I was testing it out because I plan to give it as a gift) and I crumbled them up and folded them into the fudge. Thus, I will call my creation chocolate cookie fudge. The cookies themselves were very yummy and the fudge is wonderful too!

p.s. thanks for that jar cookie recipe, anna!

Originally posted by valchemist

p.s. thanks for that jar cookie recipe, anna!
    I'm glad you liked that jar cookie recipe. Since you reminded me about jar cookies, I pulled out my jar collection (the ones leftover from last year) and started making some new ones. That double chocolate cookie recipe seems to really work out well for people.

Since I don't have any malt powder, I won't be making any malt balls for while. I'm going to use my white chocolate to make those peanut butter filled, white chocolate coated Ritz crackers. Everyone seems to love those and they are a bit unusual.

Oh. I'm also going to send off some Kit Kat bars (the recipe you posted, Val) in the mail. Based on the ingredients -- graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, melted chocolate, etc. they'll probably ship and keep well.