Community Message Boards

Thread: TERRI-LYNN: Rich Creamy Fudge

TERRI-LYNN: Rich Creamy Fudge

Hi!

Your recipe for "Rich Creamy Fudge" sounds delicious and foolproof. Two things I love in a recipe! How do you store it and how long does fudge keep??? I've never made it before. Do you think it's too early to make and keep till Christmas Eve and Day??? Thanks!

Hi! I'm not Terri-Lynn (obviously!), but I wanted to say that I've always had good luck freezing fudge. I made mine last night, let it set in the fridge for about an hour, and then wrapped it tightly in saran wrap and foil. The key is wrapping it tightly, because otherwise it gets that "chalky" look that chocolate sometimes gets.

I made the really simple Eagle Brand recipe. It's pretty much foolproof, but always tastes good!

Rich delicious fudge... Why buy fudge at your favorite candy store? Now you can make this easy chocolate fudge at home. Start out with our basic recipe and create a new twist by adding your favorite candies or cookie pieces or try one of our suggestions below.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Servings: Makes about 2 lbs.

3 cups (18-oz.)semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk-chocolate chips)
    1 (14-oz.) can Eagle« Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
    dash salt
    1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In heavy saucepan; over low heat, melt chips with Eagle Brand and salt. Remove from heat; stir in nuts if desired and vanilla. Spread evenly into wax paper or buttered foil lined 8- or 9-inch square pan. Chill 2 hours or until firm. Turn fudge onto cutting board, peel off paper and cut into squares. Store covered in refrigerator.

OTHER GREAT FUDGE FLAVORS:
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Glazed Fudge: Proceed as above, stir in 3/4 cup peanut butter chips in place of nuts.
    Glaze: Melt 1/2 cup peanut butter chips with 1/2 cup whipping cream; stir until thick and smooth. Spread over fudge.

Marshmallow Fudge: Proceed as above, omit nuts and add 2 tbsp. butter to mixture; fold in 2 cups miniature marshmallows.

I always freeze my fudge as well and it will keep a couple of months frozen I believe (not that it ever lasts that long) I enjoy it best right out of the freezer no thawing necessary!!!

Like I said it is pretty full proof and always works.

Terri
    There is no such thing as a "self made man". We are made up of thousands of others. Anyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.

Originally posted by Terri-Lynn
    I enjoy it best right out of the freezer no thawing necessary!!!
    Terri
    I thought I was the only one that liked it straight out of the freezer.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

I love fudge!! Someone posted the Skaarup's website, which has great fudge directions - I've copied them below. This fudge turns out perfectly every time, no matter how humid it is (although I'm a weenie and use a candy thermometer). It's never dry, and it always sets perfectly, at room temperature.

I must admit, as much as I like fudge and chocolate, I really don't care for chocolate fudge. I prefer dark chocolate, and chocolate fudge is just too sweet for me. So I use this recipe for peanut butter fudge, which I cut into triangles (squares first, then cut the squares diagonally into triangles) and drizzle with a little melted chocolate - yum!!!

To make peanut butter fudge, use the recipe below, but substitute 2.5 cups of peanut butter (I use Jiff creamy) for the chocolate chips, and reduce the butter to 1/2 stick (4 tbsp). Oh - and leave out the walnuts. Or you can add peanuts. Or you can do chocolate peanut butter fudge by adding about 3/4 cup of choc. chips, and reducing the peanut butter to about 2 cups (amounts aren't terrible important).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Skaarup's Fantasia Fudge

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup Butter
    2 1/2 cup Sugar (extra-fine granuled preferred)
    5 oz. Evaporated Milk (one small can) -- or as needed
    12 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
    1 jar Marshmallow Creme/Fluff -- or 2 cups miniature marshmallows
    1 cup Walnuts (chopped) -or- 4 oz. bag
    (optional)
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Line a 9" x 9" pan with aluminum foil and set aside. Place chocolate chips, vanilla, and marshmallow cream into a 3-quart saucepan (or Pyrex bowl) and set aside. Chop walnuts and set aside (optional). Heat milk at Medium setting until warm then add sugar. Bring to a rolling boil (Medium-High), stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Continue to boil for [8] full minutes -or- if using a candy thermometer continue boiling until the boiling temperature reaches 235░F but do not exceed 9 minutes rolling boiling total. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until dissolved (but no more than 30 seconds).

Pour hot mixture over chocolates, vanilla, and marshmallow cream without scraping the sides of the hot saucepan. Mix until the chocolates are melted. Add walnuts if desired. Mix thoroughly and cast into prepared pan. Cool at room temperature. Chill in refrigerator prior to cutting. Remove from pan, remove foil, cut into squares.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 826 Calories; 92g Fat (98.9% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 248mg Cholesterol; 937mg Sodium. Exchanges: 18 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0