Community Message Boards

Thread: Seedless raspberry jam?

Seedless raspberry jam?

A question for you all -- most baking recipes that call for raspberry jam sepecify for it to be seedless. Is that for any particular reason? Or is it more a matter of taste? For some reason I'm finding it hard to find seedless raspberry jam. I don't mind the seeds, but if something happens to them during the baking process that makes them taste bad, I don't want to take a chance.

Thanks for the help!

While I love, love love raspberries and don't mind them in fresh ones the pips really bother me in jam or jellies. I don't know if it has anything to do with altering the finished product but my guess would be those pips would be very annoying! JMHO!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

It's purely a preferance of whether or not you like getting those darn things stuck in your teeth.

In baking, I usually take plain old raspberry jam and press it through a sieve, weeding out the seeds. I can't say that I've actually looked for a seedless jam. But it takes no time to press it through, and saves me hours of flossing and picking later.

pips?

I have never heard that term.

I don't mind the seeds. I think the recipes that call for seedless are just doing that because the seeds could bother some people (appearance/taste). I personally would use whatever I could find.

I've always used raspberry jelly (seedless) cause I've never seen seedless jam. Is there a significant difference between jam and jelly?. I like the seeds but some things they are not good in, like a glaze.

Originally posted by valchemist
    pips?

I have never heard that term.
    Well, it has to do with a Sherlock Holmes story "The Man with the Twisted Lips" and the pips from an orange and a guy from Texas...so we have always called them pips!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Just thought I would let you know that Smuckers makes a seedless red raspberry jam:-) Usually their products are easily accessible
    Tara

I've used both seedless and seeded jam in recipes that call for seedless, and did not notice much difference at all. If you don't personally mind the seeds (which I don't), I wouldn't bother with the seedless.

Kristal

When I make my own, I make mostly seedless so my mom can eat it and so it makes pretty cookies. I think the seedless is just to not have the texture of the seeds in the middle of what is usually a tender cake or cookie. The seeds do not become bitter or anything (they are already cooked in the jam). I have noticed that finding the seedless can be a little more challenging, especially during baking season. Our closest store usually has only one brand of seedless -- the store brand or sometimes Smuckers, and at least half a dozen with seeds.

This is a big help -- thanks all!

I prefer the seedless only because it looks better in the dessert as well. I buy Smucker's or the local Kettle Kitchen Village brand made in good old Intercourse, PA. When I lived in Canada, I loved the ED Smith Brand. It does exist, you just have to be on the lookout for it.

Originally posted by sneezles

Well, it has to do with a Sherlock Holmes story "The Man with the Twisted Lips" and the pips from an orange and a guy from Texas...so we have always called them pips!
    ok! now it is crystal clear. (scratching head)

It's a British term for "seeds" in fruit.

Originally posted by valchemist
    I don't mind the seeds. I think the recipes that call for seedless are just doing that because the seeds could bother some people (appearance/taste). I personally would use whatever I could find.
    My mom has had diverticulitis (sp?) -- it's an icky condition where the lining of your intestine gets kind of ragged and things like seed can stick in it and really cause a lot of distress. I've heard conflicting information about the "seeds" issue, but anecdotally, if my mom stays away from nuts, seeds and "itty bitty foods," she feels a lot more comfortable.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields