Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze wine?

Can I freeze wine?

I have a bottle of red wine that either needs to be used or thrown away. I want to make a marinara sauce in the future, so can I freeze the red wine into cubes for later use? This would be very convienent for me since I don't usually have red wine around.

Thanks,

Krystal

I vote for using it by getting a wine glass out and relaxing with your wine I don't beleive you should freeze it.
    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives

-Albert Einstein-

I just found this quote online.

"As a last resort, you can freeze wine. Label a freezer bag and pour it right in. Surprisingly, very little damage is done during the freezing process. I donít notice a difference when cooking with frozen wine. I wouldnít drink it though! "

Funny you should ask.....

There was an email 'thing' going around today at work, some kind of good hints for different things. The only thing I had never seen before was to freeze wine (that you think is close to the edge) in ice cube trays...then bag them. You have little bits of flavor for later use. I liked that idea. Sue

Sounds like it just might work, but somehow it just doesn't seem right!

Kim

I freeze wine simply because I can't afford to buy a new bottle everytime I need some for a recipe! I freeze it in an ice cube tray then bag it. Particularly good when you have recipes that only need a tablespoon or two of wine.

Like Paula, I freeze any leftover wine in ice cube trays and then dump it in ziploc bags. It works great for using in recipes, but like someone else stated, I wouldn't drink it.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

The freezing points of alcohol and water are not the same, so I would think the wine would separate out during freezing. Maybe there are preservatives that prevent that. In any case, I wouldn't drink it, either!
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I've never tried this but I will. I can't drink red wine, just a teeny bit gives me an awful headache, but I do use it in cooking. freezing won't enhance the flavor, but it certainly can't deteriorate more than half empty bottle sitting around waiting to be used.

cooking wine rule

i was told you shouldn't cook with wine you wouldn't drink...of course i never cook with wine b/c i can't afford to waste the leftovers if i don't feel like drinking it!

asile
    latest improv:
    Light pasta primavera:
    Shells, fresh corn, chopped zucchini, fresh basil, in a vinegrette of white wine, dijon mustard, and olive oil --garnished with grated fresh parmisiano reggiano cheese...YUM!

Cooking wine has salt.

I buy the little bottles in 4 packs. Each has about 3/4 a cup so there is not much leftover. I got that tip from the BB.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I have accidentally frozen white wine before and the sugars (at least I think it was the sugars) crystalized and turned into something gritty on the bottom. It never reconstituted correctly after that but I can't remember what we did with it - probably drank it! That taught me to remember my wine in the freezer when I try to rush it cold!!

I'd bet you could still cook with frozen wine. Wouldn't hurt to try!

i recently froze some leftover red wine in ice cube trays and transferred to a plastic bag. i haven't used it yet, but i have noticed that the wine-cubes are not as frozen solid as regular ice cubes. i thought of this after reading what beckms said about the freezing points of water vs alcohol... i'm pretty confident that it will be fine to use in recipes.

marisa

I just froze some recently (haven't cooked with it yet) because I saw it on Nigella. Of course, I haven't tried any of her recipes yet either, but it seems like a good (or at least not bad) idea.
    The role of a librarian is to make sense of the world of information. If that's not a qualification for superhero-dom, what is?
    --Nancy Pearl, Director, Washington Center for the Book