Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: See if you're smarter than George W!!!

I'm a 129 and a Precision Processor. This made my day - "This means that among other things, you have superior skill in mathematics." I have a calculus 3 final in an hour that i'm white-knuckling over!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I picked the banana because you "PEEL" it....or because it has such a long shape while the others were closer to round. If they had grapes as the answer, I bet it has to do with the fact it's a BUNCH of grapes versus individual pieces for the other fruits.

I am a Visual Mathematician with a score of 129. DH almost spit out his drink when he read that because we both know that math is NOT my strongsuit.

ROTFL!!!! My thoughts EXACTLY (since I scored the same) and got the same designation. (I'm thinking that if you got the pythagoreum theorum one right, then that's what they call you.)
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Originally posted by Melman
    If they had grapes as the answer, I bet it has to do with the fact it's a BUNCH of grapes versus individual pieces for the other fruits.
    A-ha! Maybe that's it. Bananas technically come in bunches too, although you can buy a single banana. I guess you don't buy a single grape. Neither DH nor I could figure it out. I was trying to think of differences between peel, seeds, etc.

Actually, I think what Kristin said was more plausible - that grapes grow on vines and all the others grow on trees.

Originally posted by Laura B
    Actually, I think what Kristin said was more plausible - that grapes grow on vines and all the others grow on trees.
    I didn't see her answer before. Yep, that makes sense too.

Re: Visual Mathematician

Originally posted by erinl
    So, what is the Shrub's IQ? I'm curious to know how I did on each question, but not curious enough to spend $15.
    bump -- what IS Shrub's IQ?

Am I the only inventive inquisitor to chime in yet? I was the odd duck out on that personality test a few weeks ago, too.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I got 129 and am an Insightful Linguist, whatever that is! That fruit question stumped me. I thought and thought, and decided I was spending too much time (probably 30 seconds!) on it, so I chose coconut, knowing that couldn't be right. Glad to know it was grapes.

Re: Re: Visual Mathematician

Originally posted by JackieO

bump -- what IS Shrub's IQ?

I found this snippet online. (so you know it must be true )

.... the Lovenstein Institute of Scranton, Pennsylvania detailed its findings of a four month study of the intelligence quotient of President George W. Bush. Since 1973, the Lovenstein Institute has published it's research to the education community on each new president, which includes the famous "IQ" report among others.

According to statements in the report, there have been twelve presidents over the past 50 years, from F. D. Roosevelt to G. W. Bush who were all rated based on scholarly achievements, writings that they alone produced without aid of staff, their ability to speak with clarity, and several other psychological factors which were then scored in the Swanson/Crain system of intelligence ranking.

The study determined the following IQs of each president as accurate to within five percentage points :

147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
    132 Harry Truman (D)
    122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
    174 John F. Kennedy (D)
    126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
    155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
    121 Gerald Ford (R)
    175 James E. Carter (D)
    105 Ronald Reagan (R)
    099 George HW Bush (R)
    182 William J. Clinton (D)
    091 George W. Bush (R)
    "Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

Hey, I scored a 142 and was deemed a Visionary Philosopher. I didn't even read the thread first, so I didn't have help on those questions! Wooo!

The questions that thoroughly baffle me are the geometric ones - which ones comes next, which doesn't belong ... I just don't get it. I go through reasoning like, "The circle had a baby circle and it's up there, but the square had a baby triangle, and that doesn't make sense." I don't understand them. Never have, never will, I guess.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Re: Re: Re: Visual Mathematician

Originally posted by Svadhisthana
    I found this snippet online. (so you know it must be true )
    I'm going to take a stab and say the Lovenwhoever Institute might be a bit leftist ... Reorganized, we see ...
    182 William J. Clinton (D)
    175 James E. Carter (D)
    174 John F. Kennedy (D)
    147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)

155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
    132 Harry Truman (D)
    126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)

122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
    121 Gerald Ford (R)
    105 Ronald Reagan (R)
    099 George HW Bush (R)
    091 George W. Bush (R)

Add to this chart the fact that their press release used "it's" instead of "its," and their IQ reports seem less and less credible!
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I'm a Facts Curator. Interesting. DH is always telling me my head is stuffed full of random information. But, it also said I was equally good at words and math, and that's definitely not true -- math is pretty much a weakness of mine, I've always thought.

Those mathematical word problems ("two cars leave at the same time, blah, blah, blah .... ") reminded me of my days back in math class -- then, as now, my answer always was, "who the (bleep) cares?" That kind of stuff doesn't interest me at all. I know some people have fun doing them, though.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I got a 126 and I'm a Word Warrior (good thing, since I've been in publishing for 11 years!). Slknight, do you have the answer to the ones about the cars driving in opposite directions then making left turn and how far apart they'd be? Math always makes my head hurt, but that almost gave me a migraine, LOL! Thanks.

Originally posted by LA98
    Slknight, do you have the answer to the ones about the cars driving in opposite directions then making left turn and how far apart they'd be? Math always makes my head hurt, but that almost gave me a migraine, LOL! Thanks.
    Yep, here it is:

Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway facing opposite directions. Each car drives for 6 miles, takes a left turn, and drives for 8 miles. How far apart are the two cars?

The answer is 20 miles.

It helped me to draw a picture. The 6 and 8 are two legs of a triangle. Solve to find the hypotenuse of the triangle which would be 10. They form two triangles that are touching each other by the points. 10 +10 = 20. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you draw it, it makes sense.

It helped me to draw a picture. The 6 and 8 are two legs of a triangle. Solve to find the hypotenuse of the triangle which would be 10. They form two triangles that are touching each other by the points. 10 +10 = 20. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you draw it, it makes sense.
    Here's how I figured it out: If you figure they start at the same point and travel 6 miles each, they're 12 miles apart north-south. When each takes a left turn for 8 miles they move 16 miles apart. east-west. So, the equation is (12x12)+(16x16)= c squared.
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

Thank you, slknight and JenZen, now I get it (finally). I am SO mathematically challenged!

Another Word Warrior checking in! That was fun! Thanks for posting, sneezles!
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

133 and a Visionary Philosopher, whatever that is!
    Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. --Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

Vacuuming in high heels

Originally posted by Heidi
    133 and a Visionary Philosopher, whatever that is!
    Me too
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Everybody's smarter than Dubya.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

BethY and HRJ- Greetings from a fellow Facts Curator!! 133 here, too.

As for the fruits... I picked coconut because all the others (pear, apple, grapes and banana) had a skin. Interesting to see the different answers AND rationale!
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

AndreaU, I did the same thing as you on the coconut/fruit question. I think that question should be thrown out because there are multiple answers depending on how you look at it.

Does anyone know the answer to the scrambled word? I stared at for a long time, and finally moved on.
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

I want to know what number that guy likes. I'm short on sleep this week and I just guessed at that one.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Originally posted by JenZen

Does anyone know the answer to the scrambled word? I stared at for a long time, and finally moved on.
    Is this the one?

If you rearrange the letters "ANLDEGN," you would have the name of a(n):

It's a country: England.

Originally posted by lhall
    I want to know what number that guy likes. I'm short on sleep this week and I just guessed at that one.
    John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like:
    Answer: 900

All the numbers he likes are perfect squares.

Thanks, slknight. I will sleep better tonight.
    ~Rajneesh

Visionary Philosopher.

I have actually taken a full-blown I.Q. test before, and this was about what I scored. I didn't read the thread before I took the test.

It also said that I was equally good with words and in math, and that is true. My verbal and math SAT scores were within 100 points of each other, same with verbal and math GRE scores. I have never given myself enough credit for being good in math because I don't enjoy it, but when I make myself solve math problems I am just as likely to get them right as I am a word problem.

fun way to kill 30 minutes on a boring day at work!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!