Community Message Boards

Thread: What are your best soup recipes

Hybrid View

What are your best soup recipes

I am looking for really good soup recipes (they don't have to be light) and I am hoping for some thick and chunky ones that can be served in bread bowls. Any ideas?

The Green's Cook Book (by Deb Madison) has the best kale & Potato soup. It is soooooooooo easy and you swear it will taste blah, but each time I make this soup I have 3rds and 4ths...even DH, who HATES kale, has seconds.
    I don't know if it would work well in bread bowls, but here it is:

Kale and Potato with Red Chili

Note: The ingredients of this soup supply plenty of flavor, so use water to prepare a simple stock using the stems of the kale.

1 bunch of kale
    3 tbs. virgin olive oil
    1 medium red or yellow onion, diced into 1/2 squares
    6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
    1 small dried red chili, seeded and chopped, or 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. salt
    4 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound), scrubbed and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
    2 tsps. nutritional yeast (optional--I've always left this out)
    7 cups water or stock (I've always just used water)
    Pepper
    Creme Fraiche or sour cream (optional--I've always left this out)

Using a sharp knife, cut the ruffled kale leaves off their stems, which are very tough and take a long time to cook. Cut the leaves into pieces roughly 2" square, wash them well and set them aside.
    HEat the olive oil in a soup pot, add the onion, garlic, chili, bay leaf and salt and cook over med.=high heat for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring frequently. ADd the potatoes and the yeast, if using, plus a cup of the water or stock. Stir together, cover and cook slowly for 5 minutes.
    ADd the kale, cover, and steam until it is wilted, stirring occasionally, pouring the rest of the water or stock, bring to aboil, then simmer slowly, covered, until the potatoes are quite soft, 30-40 minutes.
    Use the back of a wooden spoon to break up the potatoes by pressing them against the sides of the pot, or puree a cup or two of the soup in a blender and return it to the pot. This will make a unifying background for the other elements.
    Taste the soup for salt and add a generous grinding of black pepper. If possible, let the soup sit for an hour or so before serving to allow the flavors to further develop. Serve the soup hot, without any garnish, or with a spoonful of creme fraiche or sour cream if desired.

Serves 4-6
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

For bread bowls, you'll probably want to use a creamy soup or a chili. Here's a link to a thread where I've posted two of my favorite creamy potato soups.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

How about a nice lentil or black bean soup? With either one, you can throw in big chunks of carrot and celery, as well as whatever root vegetables you have on hand, and maybe some bell pepper chunks. Put in lots of spicy seasonings if you're using bread bowls: hot paprika, cayenne, chipotles, or whatever strikes your fancy. Toward the end, throw in some diced tomatoes, and if you're going with the black beans, add some corn as well.

You've given me a longing for a good hot soup -- and I just finished dinner! Oh, well, guess what'll probably be on my menu for tomorrow?

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I just made a super thick, super yummy soup for my mother today that would be perfect in bread bowls, it was the recipe of the day for today on the Cooking light website, it was the Split Pea Soup with Rosemary . It's on the recipe finder, or I'll bet someone has it in Mastercook! It's soooooooooooo good.

Hands down, this is my favorite soup. I think it would work very well in a bread bowl.

California Dreaming's Baked Potato Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Soups, Stews, & Chilis Starters

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup onion -- minced
    1/4 cup celery -- minced
    1/3 cup flour
    3 cups chicken stock
    2 medium potatoes -- cubed
    1 teaspoon basil, fresh -- sweet
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup sour cream
    fresh parsley -- chopped
    8 strips bacon -- crumbled
    fresh chives -- chopped
    cheddar cheese -- grated

Cook bacon slowly over medium-low heat until crisp, taking care not to brown the fat. Set bacon aside, leaving rendered fat in the pan.

Add onions and celery and sauté until tender.

Add Flour and mix well.

Add chicken stock and stir until all flour is dissolved. Continue to stir and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer. Add potatoes and let soup simmer until potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes).

Add heavy cream, sour cream, basil, and white pepper. Let simmer for another 10 minutes until soup is hot again.

Add chopped parsley. Crumble bacon strips and mix with chives and cheese. Garnish each portion of soup with the bacon/chives/cheese mixture.

Description:
    "The BEST baked potato soup ever..."
    Source:
    "Rick Jones, California Dreaming"
    S(Winning Points):
    "9 points per serving"
    Start to Finish Time:
    "1:00"
    Ratings : Overall 10
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 340 Calories; 27g Fat (72.2% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 79mg Cholesterol; 1251mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat.

NOTES : This is the soup served at California Dreaming in Columbia, SC. We have yet to find a baked potato soup that even compares to this one.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Guest Guest
    Bree's Lentil Soup has become the soup of choice in my house. The color is amazing when made with red lentils. I have been making it with the Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes and it is so good. The last couple of pots, I have used vegetable stock and can't tell the difference.

Bree's Lentil Tomato Soup
    Cooking Light, Sept, 2001

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 1/3 cups water
    2 1/3 cups dried lentils
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    Chopped fresh tomatoes (optional)
    Cilantro sprig (optional)

1. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the turmeric and the next 6 ingredients (turmeric through garlic); saute for 1 minute. Add water and next 4 ingredients (water through diced tomatoes); bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.

2. Reserve 2 cups lentil mixture. Place half of remaining mixture in blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with other half of remaining mixture. Stir in reserved 2 cups lentil mixture. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and a cilantro sprig if desired. Yield: 11 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 186 (9% from fat); FAT 1.9g (sat 0.3g, mono 1.0g; poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 14.1g; CARB 29.8g; FIBER 13.9g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 4.4mg; SODIUM 412mg; CALC 54mg

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dutch Split Pea Soup

We love Jane Brody's soups, especially the Dutch Split Pea (with chunks of potato and carrot), and Morrison's Minestrone. The Corn and Turkey Chowder is good, too. She has great light recipes...I had her books before I began subscribing to CL! Highly recommended.

The Mexican Ham and Bean soup from one of the recent issues is really good and pretty easy.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Jewel's Cheesey Chicken Showder - hands down!!

Suzi

I like this one, although it's more like a chili than a soup

* Exported from MasterCook *

Taco Soup^- 2 to 4 Points

Recipe By :Weight Watcher Friends
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beef, Ground Lowfat
    soups

1 pound extra lean ground beef -- or turkey or crumbles
    1 large onion -- chopped
    1 package Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
    1 package taco seasoning mix -- or 1/4 cup bulk taco seasoning
    16 ounces pinto beans, canned -- can with juices
    16 ounces chili beans -- can with juices
    16 ounces corn, canned -- can with juices
    16 ounces stewed tomatoes -- can with juices
    16 ounces Mexican-style stewed tomatoes -- can with juices
    12 tablespoons reduced fat shredded cheese -- optional
    12 tablespoons Land O Lakes fat-free sour cream -- optional
    1 ounce baked tortilla chips -- about 12 chips, optional

Brown meat and onions. Drain well.

Stir in taco seasoning and dry Hidden Valley Ranch mixes.

Add all remaining ingredients (including liquids).

Simmer 1 hour or cook in crockpot on low for at least 3 hours.

Makes twelve 1 cup servings.
    Per Serving (w/o optional ingredients):
    2 points if using vegetable crumbles (like Harvest Burger Recipe Crumbles)
    3 points if using 90% lean ground beef or turkey.

Add one point if including the optional ingredients.

Yield:
    "12 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 190 Calories; 4g Fat (19.7% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 28mg Cholesterol; 729mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve with a bit of FF sour cream (I like Land 'O Lakes) for no additional points or crush a few baked tortilla chips over the top (1/2 oz baked chips = 1 pt) and sprinkle on a tablespoon of RF or FF shredded cheese (I like Sargento Light Mexican). Points will depend on what you add.

NOTES : Freeze this in 1 cup portions. Thaw in refrigerator overnight or microwave on 50% power(defrost) until defrosted. This is a very filling low point, low fat meal with a high fiber content.
    If you prefer your food less highly seasoned, just reduce the amount of taco seasoning mix.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2130706543 2130706543 2130706543

Everyone loves my (my mother's) split pea soup - even people who don't usually like split pea soup. And, kids love it because it has hot dogs in it. It's one of those throw everything together recipes so there's not much in the way of measurements.

In a stock pot, combine
    one package of green split peas
    a stalk or two of celery
    a carrot or two
    an onion, quartered
    a clove or two of garlic
    a soup bone (optional)

Cover with water, bring to a boil and then simmer until everything is soft.

Remove the soup bone and discard. Puree everything else in a blender or food processor (you may need to do this in stages).

Return the soup to the crock pot and add a small can of tomato sauce and hot dogs cut into coins. I usually use all beef hot dogs and add the whole package.

Reheat and serve.

Put

There are so many soups I love; but Laura B is right that potato soup of her's is something I'm always dreaming about. If it wasn't sooo fattening I would eat it 3 x a day. It's wonderful.

What about the cover recipe from October: Baked Potato Soup. I just made it tonight for the first time. Next time I'll lighten it even more by using 1% reduced-fat milk and fat-free sour cream. It's really thick and would work great in bread bowls.
    Diane

My favorite is Chicken Tortilla Soup. It's very thick, chunky, & hearty, but I might not serve it in a bread bowl.
    Here's the recipe anyway:

Chicken Tortilla Soup...

1 1/2 Lbs. Boneless Chicken
    1 large onion - Chopped
    2 Jalapenos - seeded & chopped
    4 cloves garlic - minced
    2 large carrots - chopped
    4 tsp. vegetable oil
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. lemon pepper
    1 tsp. salt
    1 TBL. Tobasco
    1/2 C. flour
    1 14oz. can diced tomatoes (sometimes I add a fresh tomato too.)
    4 14oz. cans chicken broth

Garnish:
    Sour Cream
    Avocado slices
    Cheese
    Cilantro
    Crushed Tortilla Chips

Chop chicken and pat dry
    Saute onion, jalapeno, garlic, carrots & chicken in 4 tsp. oil in Stockpot for 5 minutes.
    Stir in cumin, chili powder, lemon pepper, salt, tobasco & flour until mixed.
    Add tomatoes & broth... mix well.
    Simmer 1 hr... stir frequently.

To Serve: place sour cream, cheese and avocado in bowl... ladle soup over mixture and top with Cilantro and Tortilla chips.

Linda MO's "Lightened" Baked Potato Soup, I made it for my DH and we both were raving, it was so good! BTW.......thanks Linda!

And I love a big bowl of this:

Pasta and Beans: Pasta e Fagioli

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- (2 turns around the
    pan)
    1/8 pound pancetta -- (about 3 slices)
    chopped
    2 sprigs rosemary -- (4 to 6-inch) left
    intact
    1 sprig thyme with several sprigs on it -- (4 to 6-inch) left
    intact
    1 large fresh bay leaf or 2 dried bay leaves
    1 medium onion -- finely chopped
    1 small carrot -- finely chopped
    1 rib celery -- finely chopped
    4 large cloves garlic -- chopped
    Coarse salt and pepper
    2 cans cannellini beans -- (15 ounce)
    1 cup canned tomato sauce or canned crushed
    tomatoes
    2 cups water
    1 quart chicken stock
    1 1/2 cups ditalini
    Grated Parmigiano or Romano -- for the table
    Crusty bread -- for mopping

Heat a deep pot over medium high heat and add oil and pancetta. Brown the pancetta bits lightly, and add herb stems, bay leaf, chopped vegetables, and garlic. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add beans, tomato sauce, water, and stock to pot and raise heat to high. Bring soup to a rapid boil and add pasta. Reduce heat to medium and cook soup, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or until pasta is cooked al dente. Rosemary and thyme leaves will separate from stems as soup cooks. Remove herb stems and bay leaf from soup and place pot on table on a trivet. Let soup rest and begin to cool for a few minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and top with lots of grated cheese. Pass crusty bread for bowl mopping.

Yield: 6 BIG servings, leftovers improve
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Difficulty: Medium

Description:
    "Rachel Ray"

Another favorite!

* Exported from MasterCook *

FRENCH ONION SOUP

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick)
    6 onions (about 3 pounds) -- sliced
    6 garlic cloves -- sliced
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
    4 cups canned beef broth
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

4 sourdough bread slices, toasted
    1 cup grated Swiss cheese or Gruyere cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until very tender and brown, about 45 minutes. Add wine and simmer until reduced to glaze, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, beef broth and mustard. Simmer 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate. Return soup to simmer before continuing.)

Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into broilerproof bowls. Top each with slice of toast and grated cheeses. Broil until cheeses melt and bubble.

Serves 4.

NOTES : I used 3 cans of Boston Markets beef broth, 1 can of chicken broth, a dash of worcestershire sauce and hot sauce to taste.

Tortellini and Spinach Soup

This is one of my new favorites - it was so wonderfully filling, soothing, and simple. It is also incredibly easy to make, and uses some of my favorite ingredients (spinach, beans, pasta).

Patsyk posted it, and I am forever thankful!

Tortellini, White Bean, and Spinach Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:45
    Categories : Healthy And Hearty Main Dish
    Main Dishes Make-Again
    Pasta Soups & Stews
    Vegetarian

1 teaspoon olive oil
    2 cups chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    2 cups spinach -- coarsely chopped
    2/3 cup water
    16 ounces navy beans -- drained
    14 1/2 ounces vegetable broth
    14 1/2 Ounces no-salt-added whole tomatoes -- undrained and chopped
    14 1/2 ounces artichoke hearts -- quartered
    9 ounces cheese tortellini -- uncooked
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, seasoning, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach and next 5 ingredients (spinach through artichokes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Add tortellini; cook until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cheese.

Source:
    "Cooking Light- 11/01/97"

The thread can be found here:
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=32520

A recent favorite around here is the CL French Onion Beef and Barley Soup .