Community Message Boards

Thread: Simply the Best Shortbread

Simply the Best Shortbread

My MIL quietly requested shortbread for Xmas and so I pulled out my tried and true recipe to make. This is from the bst Christmas Cookbook I know of Canadian Living Christmas Book .
    Simply the best Short Bread
    1 cup butter, softened
    3 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1/4c. icing sugar
    1 3/4c. all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy: gradually beat in cornstarch, then sugar. With a wooden spoon, beat in the flour, about 1/4cup at a time.
    On a lightly floured surface or pastry cloth, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using floured fluted 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Place on waxed paperlined trays;***** each cookie 3 times with a fork. Freeze until firm ( Shortbread can be prepared to this point, transferred to freezer bags and stored in the freezer for up to a month.)
    Place frozen rounds on baking sheet; bake in 275 deg. oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until firm to the touch. remove from baking sheet and let cool on racks. (Shortbread can be stored in airtight containers for up to 2 weeks). makes 24 cookies.

I have never made this recipe but it sounds so good I am going to try it. i need to re-voye on my cookie poll!

Chocolate Ginger Bars
    This sophisticated no-bake bar marries the wonderful taste of chocolate with ginger

1/3cup butter
    8oz. semisweet chocolate
    3 Tbsp. corn syrup
    1/2lb. ginger cookies
    2 Tbsp. chopped crystallized ginger
    Icing sugar

In saucepan, melt together butter, chocolate, and corn syrup over low heat.
    In food processor chop cookies to make 2 cups of coarse crumbs; stir into chocolate mixture along with ginger.
    Spread in greased 8 inch square cake pan; refrigerate for 2 hours. Cut into squares; dust with icing sugar. ( bars can be layered between waxed paper in airtight container and refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months ]. Makes 20 bars.
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Dang they edited out the p word!!!!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Originally posted by kima
    Dang they edited out the p word!!!!
    LOL!!!! Thanks for posting the recipes, Maureen!

Peggy

I make those shortbreads myself - they really are good. I was just looking through that book this morning too!

I've used that P word around here a couple of times myself, and I was edited as well. Gee, I bet we could say REAL bad words and they would keep them in.

I made the shortbread cookies today and they are really good. Very buttery and melt-in-your-mouth. Thanks for posting, Maureen!

Glad you liked them Val! You are one heck of a baker!

Nigella Lawson

A Canadian friend of mine just sent me the December issue of Canadian Living. There are about 10 different shortbread recipes including a peanut butter shortbread and a chocolate shortbread. The recipe that Kima posted is also in the magazine. Since I had such great success with the pecan sables from Gourmet, I may go ahead and try one of the Canadian Living versions.

I've never cooked anything out of this magazine before, so hopefully the recipes are good.

natasha posted the recipe for the PB shortbread. I made them and they are really good.

Vanilla Bean Shortbread

This one sounds good. "Vanilla Bean Shortbread"

1 cup butter, softened
    1/3 cup granualted sugar
    1 vanilla bean
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    pinch of salt
    1 3/4 cup flour

Directions (paraphrased)

In bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. With pairing knife, slit bean and scrape out insides. Mash into butter mixture. Stir in cornstarch, salt and flour about 1/3 at a time.

Divide dough in half. Between 2 sheets of waxed paper, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Chill about 30 minutes. Using floured cookie cutter, cut into shapes.

Place cut outs about 1 inch apart on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Refrigerate until firm. (I don't know why you have to chill the dough after the shapes have been cut, but it sas to do it).

Preheat oven to 275. Bake until bottoms are golden -- about 40 minutes.

that vanilla shortbread recipe is quite similar to the "simply the best shortbread" recipe posted by Maureen.

the only differences are that maureen's recipe used powdered sugar (and a bit less of it), 1 tbsp less cornstarch, and no vanilla. the directions for rolling, cutting, freezing, and baking are almost the same.

I made the recipe posted by maureen and it came out great, as I said above. Next time I might use a bit more sugar, though.