Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipe: BLACK BEAN, YELLOW PEPPER, AND CUMIN CHILI

Recipe: BLACK BEAN, YELLOW PEPPER, AND CUMIN CHILI

Like a lot of people, one of my goals this year is to modify my diet, eating less red meat, more fish, beans, grains, and vegetables. I just ran across this recipe for a vegeterian chili from Bon Appetit. It received a lot of reviews, and 100% would make it again. In my book, that means I should give it a try! If you have tried this, please post your review or comments.

BLACK BEAN, YELLOW PEPPER, AND CUMIN CHILI

Canned chipotle chilies — which give this dish a smoky depth — are available at Latin American markets and many supermarkets. Top the chili with chopped cilantro and green onions, and serve sides of corn bread and spinach salad. For dessert, try lemon sherbet with sugar cookies.

6 tablespoons olive oil
    1 12-ounce onion, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
    1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
    1 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
    4 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies
    3 15-ounce cans black beans, well drained
    2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes with roasted garlic
    2 cups vegetable broth

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and cumin seeds; sauté until onion is soft and golden, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add chipotle chilies and stir 30 seconds. Add black beans, diced tomatoes with juices, and vegetable broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer 2 cups chili to processor. Blend to coarse paste; return to pot. Simmer chili to thicken, if desired. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm over medium-low heat before serving.)

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
    December 2002
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for the recipe reminder Deanna. I saw that when the issue first arrived and never looked back at it. If you make it first, please review. If I get to it soon, I will as well. I just may make it for myself this weekend.

Hmmm, maybe I need to put cumin seeds on my next Penzey's order.

Glad I could be of service, funnybone! I'm glad at least one other person out there thought this one sounded worth trying!

Will send you my review when I get around to trying it!

d

I was at the store yesterday and the yellow peppers were gross, but I may try it with green peppers today. I don't have the cumin seed, but I will use regular cumin. As for the tomatoes, I will just add garlic to them. I'll post my reviews.

I have both ground cumin and cumin seed. But I'm leaning towards using the ground, myself. Using the seed doesn't INFUSE the dish with cumin flavor, rather it seems to just give you a HIT when you bite into one. I think I'll prefer the ground in this dish.

d

Thanks Deanna for posting this looks really great, I just wish I could find chipotles in Canada, so many recipes call for them.

I will give this a try without them.

Terri
    There is no such thing as a "self made man". We are made up of thousands of others. Anyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.

Thumbs up i made it & loved it

This was so delicious!

The chipoles can be found in the supermarket where Mexican foods are kept.

Rather than mincing the chilies, I puree the entire can of chilies in the blender when i first open them. I used about 2 ts for this recipe and stored the rest in a sealed container for another use.
    I also used less oil and regular diced tomatoes b/c it's what i had on hand.

d
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

This does look very good! I had black bean chili on the menu for next week so I'lltry this one!
    Terri- I was quite surprised to find chipotles in Thrifty's here in Victoria.
    Like gymbrat says it is with the mexican food and should be in a large grocery STORE . Have you looked in Costco's?
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Re: i made it & loved it

Originally posted by gymbrat75
    Rather than mincing the chilies, I puree the entire can of chilies in the blender when i first open them. I used about 2 ts for this recipe and stored the rest in a sealed container for another use.
    That's exactly what I do. The stuff keeps a long time and it's so handy having the puree ready to go in the fridge.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Thank you for the advice, I think location must be my problem it was just today that I was wondering endlessly trying to find them in save-on asked three different people and none of them had heard of them.

I will go back to superstore and check the mexican aisle.

Thanks everyone, you will all here my whoops of joy when I finally find them.

Terri
    There is no such thing as a "self made man". We are made up of thousands of others. Anyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.

Thanks for the post. I made this today with a few modifications. Instead of the chipotle chilis (I can never find the cans either), I used chipotle powder and I also added brown rice. It went over well and I plan on making it again soon.

Thanks for the review, rachel! Good to know you liked it!

d

Hi,
    Thanks for posting the recipe!

I had made my first vegetable broth from 'How to Cook Everything' and had some in the freezer but was not really sure how I was going to use it. Anyway, the soup went over well in my house. The changes that I made were adding chipotle powder because I didn't have the chilis and adding brown rice to the soup.

This was very good! Both my dinner guests really enjoyed this soup, going back for seconds!

I subbed red bell pepper for the yellow, chicken broth for the vegetable broth, one can of pinto beans (only had two cans of black beans!) and ground cumin for the cumin seeds.

Delish, and definitely a repeater. Great with corn muffins on the side.

I made this with the subs I mentioned in my earlier post. I really enjoyed it. I think the chipotle gave it a special flavor that similar recipes I have made did not have. My kids won't eat Chili and with DH away, I will have to freeze some so that I don't risk getting sick of eating all 6 servings.

I would like to make it with the yellow pepper and the cumin seeds in the future though. I am off to Chicago in a couple of weeks to look for houses, and I have already told DH that I MUST go to Penzey's while in Naperville!!! I've been putting off an order in anticipation of the trip! I just have to make sure I find out their hours so that I am not disappointed with a closed store. Off to their site I go!!!

Thumbs up thumbs up

I made this for dinner last night. It was really good and very easy. I used an orange pepper instead of yellow. it really wouldn't matter what kind of pepper you use here -- red would be fine, too. I used only 1 tbsp of oil. I did use the 1 1/2 tbsp of cumin seed. I used a hand blender to puree some of the chili instead of transferring it to a blender or food processor. I would definitely make this again. yummy and healthy!!

I liked it so much, I'm making it again today!

Did I mention I didn't puree any of the soup to thicken? I like my soups on the soupy side. It was sooooo good!

d

anyone able to get a NA of this...

Val?? Anyone? TIA! It looks wonderful!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

here it is assuming 6 servings and only 1 tbsp of oil:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 308 Calories; 6g Fat (16.8% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 15g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 1211mg Sodium.

Thanks Val...

not bad, we will be having this during the upcoming week! Thanks again!! You are always so punctual!!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer