Community Message Boards

Thread: Problem with Austrian Raspberry Shortbread

Unhappy Problem with Austrian Raspberry Shortbread

I was following the "12 days of cookies" posted on the FoodNetwork website along with many of you. One of the cookies posted was a recipe by Gale Gand for "Lydia's Austrian Raspberry Shortbread". It was the one where the shortbread dough was frozen and then grated into a 9 x 13 pan. I attempted to make these the week before Christmas. The recipe seemed simple enough. I baked it according to the recipe. After the specified time, the edges of the shortbread were golden brown. The bottom layer never fully cooked. I finally removed it from the oven. After it cooled, I cut one square and sure enough the bottom was "greasy and not fully cooked". I followed the recipe exactly. Has anyone else attempted to make this recipe? Any ideas as to what happened. I really think the recipe just isn't right. Could the dough have been "too frozen"???

Hoping someone else has made these. Anyone???

Problem with Austrian Raspberry Shortbread

Hi Leonard. I wonder if no one else on this board tried this recipe besides the two of us? I had the exact same results you did - and I know my oven temp is accurate. The cooked part of the shortbread was delicious - however, the bottom was under - even "un" cooked. Otherwise, the recipe is a good one - but would love to know how to fix this so it doesn't happen again. Would love to make it next year if I can get it to cook evenly. Maybe we froze it too long (I had it in freezer 24 hrs)?? It was so frozen that it was a killer to grate by hand. I was afraid to grate it in the food processor because I thought it might overwork the gluten (from the heat of the cuisinart). Would love to know if anyone has any comments/suggestions!
    Where am I going, and why am I in this hand basket?

I haven't made this, but I thought there was a post about it on the 12 days of cookies thread -- I remember the grating the dough. I'm pretty sure someone who posted there had made it -- maybe they just haven't seen your post yet.

Austrian Raspberry Shortbread

Hi again. From what I understand from Leonard's post, his dough was frozen - and mine was so frozen that it was painful to grate. So I don't think cold dough is the solution - but possibly too frozen dough is part of the problem.

Re: Austrian Raspberry Shortbread

My suggestion to solve the problem of 'properly cooked' edges and 'underdone' center with shortbread of any sort is to lower the oven temperature and cook the shortbread a little longer.

Over and out.
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

I'm SO GLAD someone out there responded!! I agree that my dough was horrible to grate by hand. I too froze mine overnight. My palm was red from holding the grater. I thought I would be smart and stop and let the dough "warm up" alittle. Bad idea. It got too soft from the heat of my hand and wouldn't grate. I agree that the flavor is delicious and I too want to make this recipe again. I'm going to write to Gale Gand and see what happens. I actually wrote to the Food Network "Sweet Dreams" show and they called me!!!!!!!! Maybe I'll get lucky. If anyone else made these, please join in the conversation.

Patti

I would like to be able to join in, but the final product doesn't seem as though it is worth the pain and agony and blood, sweat, and tears it takes to get there.

Originally posted by Beth
    I haven't made this, but I thought there was a post about it on the 12 days of cookies thread -- I remember the grating the dough. I'm pretty sure someone who posted there had made it -- maybe they just haven't seen your post yet.
    That was the impression I received when I did a search (and actually composed and posted a reply - subsequently deleted) regarding the problems with the recipe. No one was falling all over her/himself with joy over them.
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Well I'll wait with baited (sp?) breath to hear if Patti (aka Leonard) hears anything from Gale Gand on this! Maybe there was something omitted in the original instructions that solves this problem! I agree that even though the cookie is tasty - it's probably not something I'm going to rush to make again. Unless of course, there's a way to 1) machine grate the dough and more importantly, 2)make sure that it cooks evenly.

I wonder if you could grate the frozen dough using a food processor? Just a thought.....
    Elizabeth
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says...."Oh s***, she's awake!! "

Lightbulb problems with shortbread

I read a string of reviews of this recipe on epicurious.com. The consensus seemed to be that the amount of butter should be reduced and the dough should be refrigerated, not frozen.

I'm hoping that I'll insert the link correctly, but if not, just go to epicurious.com and enter "raspberry shortbread" in the search function.

Hope these suggestions help - it sounds like a great dessert!

Stephanie

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=102963

I wasn't aware that this recipe was posted on Epicurious. Definitely sounds like the recipe is a bummer!!!!! Not worth the trouble. I'll wait to see if I hear from "Sweet Dreams". Now I'm curious what they would say????

Who Knew it was on Epicurious.com?!

Now that I've read all the reviews on Epicurious.com (I love this feature and often benefit from the reviews posted for their recipes)I think I might try it again - knowing now that I can grate the dough in the food processor and perhaps extend the cooking time. My oven is convection - never thought this might be the problem - as I always add on an extra 10 mins cooking time to all recipes when I use the convection oven. Wonder if Patti's oven is also convection? Might that be the problem?

I don't have a convection oven. I really think the recipe is flawed. Let us know if you try again. Good Luck!